Just removed the Intake Resinator from my 99 TL-p

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Dont Lemme Cacha Peekn in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just removed the Intake Resinator from my 99 TL-p

What a significant difference in power and sound after removing the Intake Resinator. Smoother idle and smoother driving. Fairly easy to remove, but it took me about 45 minutes because I didnt remove the entire bumper cover. I was supprised to see how heavy and big the unit was. I would describe it as a Big Ugle, Gas Guzzling, Air Restricting, Parasite of a Honda Creation. Please remove yours and experiance the diffence if you choose not to buy a CAI. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Keep it flush!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol nice description..
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Intake Restrictor Is what I called it- now its a wall display in the garage
Add a hi flow fram air hog (not tried- pnly seen them) or K&N air filter ( many of us run them)for max performance and lifetime use of filter- just clean once a year!

If your bumper has fake fog light holes, take a dremel to the driver side one and open the intake for the air- that tip from a cool acura tech- it really worked!
Having more cubic feet of air for the engine to easily draw from is a really good thing!
IMO its better than many CAI, as the inlet is 2, 3-4 inch diameter holes in the bottem of the stock airbox- feeding Hondas designed air snout tube to the TB at the top, and keeping the inlets nice and safe-- up high--- away from water splashes and giant puddles.
The lower plastic splash guard for the engine bay has drain slots in it, so water is never an issue. Well, I suppose if you got stuck in water up to the door handles, that would be a problem with the intake,,,,but you may have bigger concerns at the time and after.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
How does this Intake Resonator look like and where is it located? Pros/Cons?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

see the gen2 DIY for Intake resonator removal,,, pics and tips are there
May be in gen1 - I am just visiting your section

Its a large -call it 16" by 16" plastic box that is the air inlet for the engine- it has baffles and chambers and who knows what inside- to reduce `resonance` and noises from the intake system, quiets the car down for mom

It then connects to the bottem of the air filter box- lift the filtewr and look under it, See the those big holes???- those will be exposed-open, once the res box is removed- thats whats attached to the holes now!

No Cons- passes smog without a problem- invisable mod~ remove front bumper cover- its easy- then 1 or 2 bolts hold the unit on- remove- replace bumper- dremel extra air inlets if possible in the fake foglight- depends on year of you have those
Even without extra openings- the box was drawing its inlet air from the lower grill area into the bottem of itself- the inlet port. Some use 4 inch ducting thinking it will force air better- it doesnt- just getting it opened up is all you need, and will provide more air than a duct tube will.
Benefits are reduced effort of engine to get air, cool sound when it really starts sucking air in VTEC rpm's, more air to the engine is good- the computer can sort out and provide a bit of mileage- more air available= more lean mixture= better mileage

Get a buddy for the bumper cover removal- its not heavy- just flexes and you dont want to drop it and damage the paint.
Its only held on by push pin clips and a few bolts on the ends- hidden inside the edge
Go for it!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

location of box is driver side inside the fender, just behind the bumper- directly below the air filter box.
When you remove it- almost all the area inside the driver side fender suddenly becomes a storage bin for air!! double the size and no restrictive anythings to impede its flow.

If you look inside the front of the lower grill with a flashlight-driver side- you can see it