DIY: Seafoam 2nd GEN TL (sorta) work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel injector cleaning process

Could anyone tell me once I pour the entire Seafoarm can in the 1/4 gas tank, do I need to fill up the gas tank or not before driving?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
no - the whole point of adding it at 1/4 tank is to have max strength seafoam to gas ratio!
You want 2 oz seafoam- to 1 gallon of gas
Thats 1 can (8 ounces) to 1/4 tank (approx 4 gallons) in round numbers
Then drive it as low as you dare, add a few gallons so still good strong mix- drive that off, then refill and drive normal again

1oz foam to 1oz gas is a maitenance dose after clean
2oz to 1 gal gas is cleaning strength and fastest results
Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Tom

no - the whole point of adding it at 1/4 tank is to have max strength seafoam to gas ratio!
You want 2 oz seafoam- to 1 gallon of gas
Thats 1 can (8 ounces) to 1/4 tank (approx 4 gallons) in round numbers
Then drive it as low as you dare, add a few gallons so still good strong mix- drive that off, then refill and drive normal again

1oz foam to 1oz gas is a maitenance dose after clean
2oz to 1 gal gas is cleaning strength and fastest results
But the one I bought is a 16 ounces can so, that mean I cannot use full can even with 1/2 tank? Thanks for help.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

where can i get this product by the gallon? My local Kragen's only offer in 8oz
Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you want it by the gallow? The bottle actually says only to use 3/4 of it in the engine... so, that much is crazy unless you plan on doing this to a few cars... But to answer your question, i do not know...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

actually the can directions are VERY mild useage- read this diy for directions that work on a TL
See the azine users results with full can in intake and can in 1/4 tank of gas.
If you own a few cars its smart to buy a gallon-
Ask your parts store if they can order it for you
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Modding my TL in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All -

1. 3 Days ago I put one can in my 5AT TL Gas, didn't really notice a differene
2. 1 Day ago I put one can in the crankcase, noticed a slight increase in performance
3. Last night I put one can in vacuum port on back of intake manifold, got all the smoke,
blah blah blah, didn't notice much of a performance increase.
4. This morning - incredible, everything is smooth and more responsive. Well worth it!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

wow you did it the 3 wrong ways and STILL got improvement
If you used the rear manifold port, you got 3 cylinders or 6
When you use the new port at the TB/intake manifold connection- you feed direct to all the intake and 6 sets of valves and pistons, then it works really good

When you add 1 can to 4 gallons of gas- the cleaning strength per the instruction on can is 2 oz seafoam to 1 gal gas
so 1 can to 1/4 tank- run it down a bit- add a few more gallons- run it down- refill and drive normal
The crankcase method is to clean the engine oil passages- the arteries of its lifeblood-
and is important to do- some members only idle engine 5 minutes then change the oil and filter while others drive 30 minutes or 2days!
It depends on how dirty the engine is inside, and if you put a fresh filter on- then add foam and drive a week- that would be ok too- its the loosened stuff overloading the filter that is of concern- undocumented - but of concern
Back to the store and read post 147 for correct pics
Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by libert69
i have an 04tl and i guess its a little different from the 2ng when it comes to all the tubing. i used the hose indicated by the red arrow to pull the seafoam into the engine. is this the right spot? i put the hose in the can and started the car and it pulled every last drop of seafoam into the engine in less then 15 seconds.

just waiting the 15 min before i go for a hot drive..
Are we all in agreement that this location is the best for 3G TL'S?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
What your problem is?

^ yes, sir...
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

looks like the only full vac port in the area- just use a hose on that nipple so you can sip sip sip the seafoam in- not a can in 15 seconds- that does very little- the foam needs time to get worked in, and the sit a few minutes, then a blow out drive

Seems like you need a friend on the gas pedal to keep it running- not revved just running
Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
What your problem is?

For those of us with 2003 TL... it is similar to the above, but here is my write-up... DIY: Seafoam 2003 TL-S
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Buy 3 cans of Seafoam.

VAC LINE:

*IMPORTANT -- Warm up car first* Engine needs to be warm to help dissolve stuff so a 5 or 10 minute drive to warm everything should be done first.

See Page 5 for more instructions

Turn off car and reconnect the hose. Sometimes it is good to cut off a little off the end of the vac line that you dipped in the can, because it can swell up and have a vacuum leak.

Let car sit for at least 5 mins, and no more than 15. TRY and start it up. I say this because it will hesitate at first but just hit the gas a few times and it’ll start. Rev for a little while... http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCQpwEcynkk

...then go for a spirited drive until the smoke stops. You want to do a bunch of low speed start full throttle runs thru vtec to really heat the engine and blow off the loosened gook . Put it in third gear for a few exits on the freeway, slowing down and speeding back up (if traffic permits)... http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0RmnT05QmM

GAS TANK:

Use a full can in a 1/4 tank of gas to super clean the injectors. It’s great to do it while you are doing the vac line.

CRANKCASE:

Use a can in the crankcase (pour into oil fill). Get an oil change after a MINIMUM of 30 miles and MAXIMUM of 100 miles.

Thanks to 02AcTLS for talking to Seafoam about the crankcase
Thanks to 01tl4tl for all the info in the original thread
I did an oil change last month and I found out about Seafoam a few days ago. I am going to try it today but as far pouring in crankcase - Is it necessary to get an oil change? I already did an oil change and don't want to spend money doing it again...Or should I just wait until my next oil change and do it before???
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

WAIT until just before your next oil change. Anywhere from idling 5 minutes before- to driving around the block then change- or drive to oil change place-
Always add it with engine warmed by a 10 minute drive, then add foam to engine oil.
Some people drive a day or 2, keeping an eye on the dipstick- one ziner found grunge stuck to the end of it!
Better flushed into the oil and captured by the filter than blocking the passages thats for sure. at least thats my opinion ---DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to really be wild- change the oil filter- do foam and drive a few days on the old oil (ok to leave in for several days according to seafoam website)
The fresh filter will be able to capture the loosened crud. I personally would not try the longer drives without a brand new filter on it first--just to be extra safe on catching the particlulate matter- and allow the foam to really do its job.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

is this safe for the catalytic converter?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

as long as you follow the instructions- all of them- especially about drive it at 4000 rpm for 15 minutes afterwards- it will blow all the crud right thru the entire exhaust

The cat has extreme high internal temps well above 1100F iirc, and will not suffer any damage
Failure to do any hot drive, or a weak effort, MAY result in some particles on the O2 sensor triggering CEL, but drive it a day and they get melted off, and all is well
I have yet to hear of a cat failure from this
You can use Wynns brand if concerned- but its the same idea, maybe different materials

Many gen2 have used this for over 100k miles with no ill effects- ask our superMod and gen2 guru fsttyms1
he did it all the time and the engine oil too- went 200k miles on stock engine and pulled the motor to do a 6 speed CL-S motor and trans install to his car
He did a teardown inspection of the 00 motor and it was in like new condition inside and spotless- very little wear
Keeping particles cleaned out = better health of engine
Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
as long as you follow the instructions- all of them- especially about drive it at 4000 rpm for 15 minutes afterwards- it will blow all the crud right thru the entire exhaust

The cat has extreme high internal temps well above 1100F iirc, and will not suffer any damage
Failure to do any hot drive, or a weak effort, MAY result in some particles on the O2 sensor triggering CEL, but drive it a day and they get melted off, and all is well
I have yet to hear of a cat failure from this
You can use Wynns brand if concerned- but its the same idea, maybe different materials

Many gen2 have used this for over 100k miles with no ill effects- ask our superMod and gen2 guru fsttyms1
he did it all the time and the engine oil too- went 200k miles on stock engine and pulled the motor to do a 6 speed CL-S motor and trans install to his car
He did a teardown inspection of the 00 motor and it was in like new condition inside and spotless- very little wear
Keeping particles cleaned out = better health of engine
thanks a lot
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

have fun-
put it in super slow sip sip- let engine stabilize- sip sip stabilize
may have to put thumb on open end of hose to keep running sometimes while letting stabilize
5-10 minutes to get it all in the vac port is good
I get out the rubber floor mat and kneel in front of the car so not so much hot air blasting me, then raise the can up to the hose ( hose remains insode- i just raise and lower can to apply stuff
Use a clear bottle or clear hose to see whats happening
The vac hose will suck seafoam from the can/container when less than 1/2 inch away- hose to liquid distance- its powerful suction!
If you stall the engine- it was too much at once- restart and continue
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I'm lazy and didn't want to mess with the plastic engine cover... so I saw two soft rubber hoses coming off from the air filter compartment part that goes into the engine.... I stopped there and asked fsttyms1 to make sure...

He directed me to this metal line

He said to use this line indicated by the blue arrow.... He said to disconnect at the red pointer and tilt the line upward to pour the seafoam in slowly.... while someone is giving her a little gas to keep her running.... then once all the seafoam is in... shut off for no more than 15min and continue with DIY procedure : )

Hope this helps someone like me
That's the same way I did it only I got flamed for it. It works though, but maybe use a throttle body cleaner afterwards.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I Seafoamed the TL today. I think followed the directions correctly but there wasn't any smoke. I used a 1/3 pint in the vac line show on page 4 using the vac hose with the engine running and warm, waited for about 6-7 minutes to restart the car. The car was hesitant on starting but once it did it blew no smoke. I continued on doing a spirited run in WOT as much as I could for about 20 mins and still, no smoke. It does feel more responsive and the idle is a lot smoother with no CEL though. should I try it again with the rest of the can or is it ok if there is no smoke. I doubt my engine is that clean. lol.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Team Owner

how do you read this diy- and still do it with you own version of the instructions?
Uee the vac port hidden by the engine cover- NOT the metal tube in pic above
Use as much of the can as it will take 12-16 ounces- wait 15 minutes- drive i specified manner to superheat and blow out gunk
Smoke has little value in telling you whats happening
use 1 can in 1/2 tank of gas
read the diy again and repeat correctly
Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I didnt use the metal tube. I used the vac line that you recommended

anyways, I tried it again today but used almost the rest of the can and waited for 15 minutes instead of 5 I also used a separate hose I got from work. Got a whole lot of smoke this time. did some hot runs on the freeway afterwards to get the rest of the smoke out.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally did mine a few days ago. WOW=the car runs and idles even more smoothly than before. A friend of mine mentioned to me the day before I seafoamed my 99 that it is really a quiet engine. He said he couldn't hear it idling. He drives a Jeep Cherokee 96 model. Guess the TL would be quiet compared to his ride.
I used 3 cans.
Put one in the 1/4 tank of gas.
Put another one in the Crankcase=I was due for an oil change. changed the oil after driving the car 35 miles. The oil came out really dirty, so I know it helped clean things out.
Then did the SIP method. I stuck a straw in the vacume line and sipped in the seafoam. Probably took about 2 mins. When I turned off the ignition key the engine kept running so I turned it back on for about 20 sec. then shut it off again.
After letting the car sit for 15 mins, it started right up and off I went for my spirited run.
It hit Vtec much faster then before and ran much smoother.
Car has 96,000 miles on it. Cleaned the upper manifold last fall due to the EGR port being completely gunked up.
I couldn't wish for the car to run any better. New plugs 10,000 miles ago made a difference also. Aren't we blessed with a great engine eh?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

try it again in the intake vac port- you went 2 minutes- it should take 10 minutes to get the seafoam in at a slow pace- allow the engine to stabilize if too much at once gets sucked up... small little bits so it works- instead of getting blown thru with little effect

Try the spray can version of seafoam called ` Deep Creep`- sold at zone for sure and other store probably
makes it fun to do little shots of foam into vac port and see exactly whats going on and how easy it would be to go way too fast~
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by libert69
i have an 04tl and i guess its a little different from the 2ng when it comes to all the tubing. i used the hose indicated by the red arrow to pull the seafoam into the engine. is this the right spot? i put the hose in the can and started the car and it pulled every last drop of seafoam into the engine in less then 15 seconds.

just waiting the 15 min before i go for a hot drive..

I guess I saw this and didn't think I needed to take my time. I'll do another can later on this year. (A little more slowly)
The car runs greats-guess that's what matters.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

do it again now~ with the spray can!!- Deep Creep is the name on the can
make sure to get the TB butterfly plate clean on both sides

It will make even more differance when done correctly.
Add a can to 1/2 tank of gas for max cleaning of injectors and system in general
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

believe or not after the first tank of gas was gone 2 weeks after seafoam i noticed a worse fuel mileage than i remember having before. less than 20 per gallon(city ). i used half a can in the tank and half through vac hose. ill see what s going to happen in the next few weeks. i have a 2000 tl with 134k miles, new sparks. original tranny by the way.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Team Owner

Its not unusual with that mileage for some long term cleaning to be occuring over a few tanks.
Give it a chance, and repeat in 2,000 miles, sooner if you want.
Do it super slow using the Deep Creep spray can to the intake, should take 10 minutes to get in 1/2 the can- in short sprays- its the best most effective way- you want the stuff stirring around inside the engine-working- not sucked right thru--

make sure you cleaned both sides of the throttle butterfly plate- the round thing that rotates open-- in the center of TB assembly---there is a lot of crud there-
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

ill try that next. thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Seafoamed today:
8 oz in Vac line, 16 oz to 1/2 tank gas.
Car killed 3 times when doing vac line !
Waited 15 min, and turned the car on.
started to drive away, and unexepectedely a HUGE cloud of white smoke covered the entire street. I continued to do the 15 minute drive in 2nd + 3rd.
Question!
Every time i came to a stop, the RPMS dropped to low and the car killed. Proably had to turn on the car at least 10 times during the run...Seems like it calmed down when arriving bakc home. Is this normal?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Team Owner

may have clogged the Idle valve IACV
sounds like a little too much foam at once during install- that causes the engine to stall.
Should take 10 minutes to get a decent amount- at least 8 oz into the vac port.

Most people do the drive so there are no stops involved- all freeway-- buzzing the rpm, not cruising at 2000 rpm

Why was the cloud of smoke unexpected- did you not read any of this DIY?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 AM

do it again now~ with the spray can!!- Deep Creep is the name on the can
make sure to get the TB butterfly plate clean on both sides

It will make even more differance when done correctly.
Add a can to 1/2 tank of gas for max cleaning of injectors and system in general
I'll do it when it's time for another oil change in a couple months. More slowly as you suggested. Also have to swing by Wally Mart to pick up another can.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced

I was suprised by the smoke because i was in very low RPM and a huge amount came out when i left my house. Overall, i think when i run this tank down, and refill i wont have the idle problems anymore,.

Also I took over 10 minutes to put in 8 oz , i never put too much in at one time.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Why was the cloud of smoke unexpected- did you not read any of this DIY?
How were you not expecting smoke??
Old 06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you guys think that there is a limit to how often you can use this stuff? I thought I remember reading a while back that it would break down the seals or something if you used it too often. The reason I ask is because I finally found the Deep Creep and used about half of the can and got a good bit of smoke so I was just going to go ahead and use the rest of the can to clean it out really good.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Isnt it great fun playing with the deep creep!!- and making a tornado form as you move towards/away from the vac port! easy to put in the small metered type amounts we have been attempting over that 10-15 minutes of idle speed- its less prone to die and when it runs rough- stick your thumb over the vac port=-instant runs better

based on seafoams website info and practical experience- 1st timers use it again in 2000 miles to do a finishing job on it- no hurt it doing it sooner
a 16 oz can is what many have been putting in the manifold- so if you drive a few days then repeat with the remaining 8 oz- you should be in good shape.
Its ok to use every 5000 miles in the gas as maitenance cleaning, once a year or 15k miles do the intake-
do the TB plate every month! That gets dirty oil pumped at it from the smog equip!!

Anyone who has been inside the manifold and seen the crud- knows the importance of keeping a hi-performance engine at peak operation

Seafoam is hi-detergent oils- not a harsh solvent like most others- so its not going to hurt any seals when used as directed.
There are certain applications where they run it in the oil ALL the time to keep the rings perfectly clean- speed boats do it!!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Anyone from Acurazine in the Worcester-Marlborough (central MA) area willing to give me a little help with the seafoaming...? I am new to it and don't want to experiment with it alone. I have got the seafoam cans from the local autozone store.

I can come down to your place and we can do it at your convenience...thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

I never heard of seafoam till just recently. Are their any cons to doing this? I never actually heard of it at all, and all of sudden I noticed so many threads. Anyways, where do I buy (online) =D
Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Team Owner

you buy it at autozone or kragen or anyplace in town- not mailorder~

autozone has it both in liquid seafoam, and aerosol `DeepCreep`- get a can of each-
there are no cons- only good things for your engine and wallet~
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

what's the difference in the liquid and the aerosol?

Quick Reply: DIY: Seafoam 2nd GEN TL (sorta) work in progress