DC Header resonance is killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
DC Header resonance is killing me!

I'm getting pretty significant resonance with a cold motor at idle in gear and also in the 1500-2220 rpm range when warm. Cruising down the highway is no problem but around town it's just enough to drive me nuts.

I've tried everything from retorquing the system to disassembling and reassembling and tightening in different sequences. For now I've gone back to a stock setup, but after having a taste of the performance bump in the Vtec rpm range with the DC's, I'd really like to find a solution to this problem if there is one.

I'm thinking I might give DC Sports a call to see what they have to say.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
when you are changing out exhaust pieces, you are experimenting with sound. the only way to find a sound to your liking is to keep playing around with exhaust pieces......
maybe you'll want to add a long resonator, to help quell the resonance...
maybe by adding a resonator; it'll quiet down the whole exhaust to where you want more noise..maybe not. keep playing by adding or deleting exhaust pieces.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
what's the rest of your exhaust setup?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Stock system so I don't have the option of changing things up.

When I say resonance, I'm talking about a loud vibration that rumbles into the cabin. Almost like a REALLY bad heat shield that is loose, but It is definitely not any of the shields.

With the car up on a lift and the engine running, I can feel a vibration throughout the downpipe which seems to be the culprit. I'm wondering if different gaskets might isolate the headers from the downpipe enough to stop the vibration.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 AM

add the biggest (longest) resonator you can find
Old 05-03-2018, 11:58 AM
3.5 psi

something seems off. I would try different gaskets like you said. Just headers shouldn't make a huge difference in sound.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy
I'm getting pretty significant resonance with a cold motor at idle in gear and also in the 1500-2220 rpm range when warm. Cruising down the highway is no problem but around town it's just enough to drive me nuts.

I've tried everything from retorquing the system to disassembling and reassembling and tightening in different sequences. For now I've gone back to a stock setup, but after having a taste of the performance bump in the Vtec rpm range with the DC's, I'd really like to find a solution to this problem if there is one.

Any suggestions?
Having the same Issue after I upgraded my exhaust. It seems to be intermittent but happens mostly when cold at around 1600-1900 RPM it would sound like a loud vibrating almost buzzing like sound and sometimes it's bad enough that I could almost feel the vibration from the resonance. I'm gonna try and figure out exactly which part of the exhaust is causing it and see if there was a way to tweak the position to fix it.
I have DC headers too so any info on this would help a ton.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnuts
something seems off. I would try different gaskets like you said. Just headers shouldn't make a huge difference in sound.
There really isn't a change in sound, but like Darksyne says, it's more of a vibration that only happens in certain RPM ranges.

Any recommendations on alternative gaskets?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Any recommendations on alternative gaskets?
I used this kit, IIRC'ly, back when I had an exhaust leak at the cat. The one I used did not fit 'exactly' so I had to modify it. It stopped the leak though. YMMV.

https://www.rv6-p.com/gasket-set.html
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM

add a resonator...

where does the word resonator come from?
comes from the word resonate!
a resonator will get rid of resonance or try to mitigate it...
it's all experimentation.
try it out.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
3.5 psi

Ya if gaskets don't solve anything I'd place a resonator right after the cat. If you look at the 2nd gen TL, they have a small resonator there where the CL only has the one before the Y split.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

So add a resonator after the cat AND keep the existing stock resonator or delete the stocker and just replace it with a larger aftermarket?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a resonator downstream will stop vibrations in the J pipe.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-04-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gnuts
Ya if gaskets don't solve anything I'd place a resonator right after the cat. If you look at the 2nd gen TL, they have a small resonator there where the CL only has the one before the Y split.
Might not work because I have a Tanabe cat back too and that has a resonator after the cat instead of straight pipes all throughout. I think it's just the position of the down pipe or gasket adjustment.
Or just replace some of the gaskets with OEM ones I used Fel-pro gaskets for the DC headers and the gaskets included in the Magnaflow Cat for the Converter.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM
3.5 psi

I think if it's vibrations, then something is off on the setup. If it's resonance (like a dull hum at certain RMPs) then you need to just put an addition resonator after the cat, keep your OEM one near the Y split.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Just to recap. A curious question. When you dropped in the J35A3, I presume you installed the header manifolds on the engine first, torqued them down, and then installed the engine. At some point when you were ready, after the engine install, you then placed new 'doughnut' gaskets on the J-pipe and mated it up to the two header manifolds loosely with the bolts/nuts. Then, after placing some kind of gasket material to the junction of the J-pipe/cat, this was then loosely attached with bolts/nuts to hold it all in place. When it came time to finally tightened everything down, what sequence did you use?

Did you first tighten the header manifold ends to the J-pipe and then proceed, finally, to the J-pipe/cat connection or start at the cat first then move to the manifold connections?

Last edited by zeta; 05-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing with my setup and it's definitely a dull hum that is much more pronounced for the first couple of minutes until the exhaust warms up. When I installed the headers, I also swapped out my CA emissions OEM cat first for the XLR8 high flow cat and eventually for a Magnaflow Federal emissions one, so I never ran the combo of DC headers with the OEM CA emissions cat. What I can tell you is that besides there being more of an exhaust smell with the XLR8 cat, there was also a bit more of the resonance, so I decided to leave the Magnaflow cat on for now and sacrifice a few HP for cleaner exhaust and a bit less resonance.

By design, cast iron exhaust manifolds are supposed to quiet down the exhaust, It makes sense that by replacing them with thinner walled stainless steel headers and possibly also a slightly thinner walled J-pipe when compared to stock, you're going to get slightly increased exhaust noise.

FWIW, the DC Sports installation instructions call for the rear header to be fully tightened to the head first, the front header to be loosely installed, then the J-pipe fully tightened to the rear header flange, followed by the front header flange, and finally, the front header gets fully tightened at the head. This is the sequence that I followed and I have no leaks to speak of.

Last edited by MBP 03; 05-04-2018 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-04-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zeta
Just to recap. A curious question. When you dropped in the J35A3, I presume you installed the header manifolds on the engine first, torqued them down, and then installed the engine. At some point when you were ready, after the engine install, you then placed new 'doughnut' gaskets on the J-pipe and mated it up to the two header manifolds loosely with the bolts/nuts. Then, after placing some kind of gasket material to the junction of the J-pipe/cat, this was then loosely attached with bolts/nuts to hold it all in place. When it came time to finally tightened everything down, what sequence did you use?

Did you first tighten the header manifold ends to the J-pipe and then proceed, finally, to the J-pipe/cat connection or start at the cat first then move to the manifold connections?
The first time was exactly like MBP 03 said, per the install instructions. Tight rear manifold with loose front, then tighten rear downpipe, tighten front downpipe, tighten front manifold, then tighten cat. I've tried different variations with the same result. Either way I've never had any leakage issues, just this damn annoying vibration, hum, resonance or whatever you want to call it.

I agree with MBP 03, the cast iron OEM manifolds absorb a tremendous amount of vibration energy just by their sheer mass and density compared to the aftermarket headers.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

The first time was exactly like MBP 03 said, per the install instructions. Tight rear manifold with loose front, then tighten rear downpipe, tighten front downpipe, tighten front manifold, then tighten cat. I've tried different variations with the same result. Either way I've never had any leakage issues, just this damn annoying vibration, hum, resonance or whatever you want to call it.

I agree with MBP 03, the cast iron OEM manifolds absorb a tremendous amount of vibration energy just by their sheer mass and density compared to the aftermarket headers.
Got it. Well, it sure sounds like you've tried pretty much everything.

The only thing left is the flex pipe enclosed within the flex mesh? Otherwise, it sounds like the '...annoying vibration, hum, resonance...' is inherent to the engineering/materials the headers are made from. And then, of course, there is the 'experimentation' aspect of various resonators, as mentioned above, as a plan B.

Well, there is one other option, in the form of a set of overpriced 'Auto' CT-E headers in the Blackmarket for $900.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
Got it. Well, it sure sounds like you've tried pretty much everything.

The only thing left is the flex pipe enclosed within the flex mesh? Otherwise, it sounds like the '...annoying vibration, hum, resonance...' is inherent to the engineering/materials the headers are made from. And then, of course, there is the 'experimentation' aspect of various resonators, as mentioned above, as a plan B.

Well, there is one other option, in the form of a set of overpriced 'Auto' CT-E headers in the Blackmarket for $900.
And that's used too >.< I remember one time seeing CTE headers for the CL-S Manual without the J-Pipe used sold on ebay for $800 CAD. No way a sane person should pay that much for used parts. Even if it is Comptech.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 AM
Racer

Loose Exhaust hanger bolt by the header down pipe

Any suggestions?
Hey Iggy I think I may have figured it out. I found a lose exhaust hanger bolt that seemed to rust welded itself back into place and it does have play when you move the down pipe.

i have a feeling that this is causing the noise because our TL’s create a good amount of resonance at the 1800 rpm mark the thin DC sports down pipe vibrated more than the thicker stock one and that vibration was causing a noise at the loose hanger bolt.

i didn’t want to risk breaking the bolt so what I did was I made rubber spacers from old bushings to fill the gap so there wouldn’t be any play anymore and bam the noise was gone!

Check to see if that hanger bolt is loose on your TL too!
The following users liked this post:
ProfessorFunk (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting. I'll look into it and get back atcha. Thanks Darksyne