Any recomendations on intakes, headers, exhaust systems, cpu & suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any recomendations on intakes, headers, exhaust systems, cpu & suspension upgrades?

I currently have a cold air intake. I'm thinking of wrapping it up using thermal insulation. I heard keeping heat away is better. Does anyone think this would help increase power? If so, should headers and full exhaust be wrapped up too? I would like some help on deciding on what brand/type of headers & cat-back to buy. Also would like help on cpu upgrade, not sure if it's worth it. I did find a VENOM cpu upgrade for $500, but not sure what that would do for me. My rides a bit bumpy too. Lowered only one inch (TEIN springs) and installed TOKICO gas shocks. My tires are 215-45-17. Any ideas on how to make a ride over NY pot hole filled streets at least a little smoother. I'm tired of hearing everything in the car, including my dash, rattle.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
ibs
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 02 TL
I currently have a cold air intake. I'm thinking of wrapping it up using thermal insulation. I heard keeping heat away is better. Does anyone think this would help increase power? If so, should headers and full exhaust be wrapped up too? I would like some help on deciding on what brand/type of headers & cat-back to buy. Also would like help on cpu upgrade, not sure if it's worth it. I did find a VENOM cpu upgrade for $500, but not sure what that would do for me. My rides a bit bumpy too. Lowered only one inch (TEIN springs) and installed TOKICO gas shocks. My tires are 215-45-17. Any ideas on how to make a ride over NY pot hole filled streets at least a little smoother. I'm tired of hearing everything in the car, including my dash, rattle.
If you want to get headers, I think DC are great. They increased hp the most by far. And i wrapped the headers bc they got too close to my radiator and i didnt want them to make my car over heat. As far as a cat back i would go custom but if you have money atlp is the best one. As far as cpu's I dont know too much about that. Im sure other members do. But for the suspension problem, def go coil overs. That would make the ride smoother. IF you want even more smoother ride, increase your tire height. Thatll also help increase your mpg. But i dont think if your thermal insulate your intake and exhaust would give you any increase in gains. It may be better off for those parts and protect them better but thats about it. But keeping away heat always is good so, idk.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
coilovers won't make the ride smoother.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 PM
ibs
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jjashaa
coilovers won't make the ride smoother.
Really? I noticed it got stiffer but maybe bc I put some 20s on at the same time and I drive much more careful now too. But nvm Im wrong
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Like all in the World, Depends on Budget but I have separated 2 Possible Routes depending on Budget:

Rich Mode:
COMPTECH Headers
COMPTECH Supercharger
COMPTECH Axle-Back + Custom Pipes
TEIN Super Street Coilovers + EDFC
EIBACH Sway Bars BOTH
MOOG Sway End Links ALL
BREMBO BBK

Budget Mode:
DC Headers
AEM V2 CAI or CAI
APEXi/Tanabe Catback
EIBACH Springs + Tokico Ilumina x4 Adjustable (Can Upgrade to FFT1 or FFT2)
EIBACH Sway Bar Front Only. (Can Upgrade Later to Rear)
MOOG Sway Links Front Only. (Can Upgrade Later to Rear)
2-POT Legend Caliper Upgrade.
GOODRIDGE SS Brake Lines

Since Im not rich I did the "Budget Mode" in 2 years Slowly but Sure, Includes "Outlaw Thermal/Spacer kit" Im only Cat-back Less.... Hope that Helps

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-28-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I need to find the switch that puts me in "rich mode" lol
Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
hahahah In RICH MODE today I think all that stuff doubles the price of our current Blue Book for the Type-S XD
Only the S/C is 4K, Headers another 1K, Dunno about Axle-Back !

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try going to a 235/45/17 it's actually closer to actual overall dimension and will give you some more sidewall which = better ride quality I have this side tire with 2" drop
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Don't buy that venom chip. Won't do anything. I'm guessing it just modifies the IAT reading before going to the ECU, if it does anything at all. Not worth $500.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Advanced

The offset on my rims won't allow me to go wider than 215. I had 225 before and rubbed a lot. I think I need to find o;em rims for a good price and go from there. If 235's fit with oem 17's or 18's, that'll be my next set up. I should be getting DC headers in the next 2 weeks. Work on custom cat back after installing the headers. Putting in the 2pot and goodridge ss lines in tomorrow. Waiting for brembo cross drilled rotors to show up.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced

any ideas if changing the cat converter to a magnaflow for example, and adding a custom cat back would result in a fail inspection in NY?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I think as long as you're not in Cali you should be ok. Not exactly sure what the NY smog procedure is but here in Milwaukee all they do is plug into our OBDII port and do a scan that's it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just lowered my 03 tl on tein s-techs. I'm pretty satisfied with ride quality. theyre progressive springs so they were a tad bit stiffer than stock springs. I try weavin around any pot holes or man holes but ive hit a couple and its not any worse than when i had stock springs.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offset

The offset on my rims won't allow me to go wider than 215. I had 225 before and rubbed a lot. I think I need to find o;em rims for a good price and go from there. If 235's fit with oem 17's or 18's, that'll be my next set up. I should be getting DC headers in the next 2 weeks. Work on custom cat back after installing the headers. Putting in the 2pot and goodridge ss lines in tomorrow. Waiting for brembo cross drilled rotors to show up.
I have new body style 2005 type rims, looks awesome and fitment is perfect