XM Commander ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Commander ?

I'm trying to get XM for my '03 TL-S with nav without the "nest of wires" look and have been told to with the XM Commander. How exactly does this integrate with the radio? Does it allow for a connection through the back of the radio or will I have to use the tapedeck?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 PM
9th Gear

It works through the fm radio with an adaptor hooked up to the antenna. You then tune the radio to a specific station and use the commander to select the XM stations. Do yourself a favor though and get the Sirius version. I have had both and sirius is far superior.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 PM
9th Gear

I have an appointment Wendsday to have the sirius version on the XM commander installed. It is called the starmate i think? I will let you know how it sounds and what the install looks like.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
"The Starbase" is a piece of dung. I install car audio for a living. The Commander is a great unit. There is a Sirius version of it, but it's not the Starbase. Do not have them put the antenna on your trunk lid. It will cause problems with your seals later on. Center mast above the windsheild, on your roof, is the way to go.
I gotta head in to work today. I'll check out that model for you when I get there. Hopefully I don't forget.

-Expect to pay.... $45.00 to pull your dash apart. $120 to $150 to install the fm modulated Sirius receiver. Don't let somebody fuck up your TL. Which means stay away from BB and CC.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

I was wrong. The Starbase is a good one. Looks similar to the Commander. I would rather have the Commander though. They can both be plummed into your fm antenna. If they have the wireless fm mod... stay away from it.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:53 PM
9th Gear

thanks for the info. It is the wired fm mod they are using. I had the xm version in my last car and liked it, but i much prefer the sirius service. What have you done to the stereo in your TL. Since you do this for a living, can I replace the stock speakers and keep the head unit? The stock speakers seem to lack treble and i would likesomething better.
I hear ya on CC. They fucked up my last car with the xm commander install.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 PM
10th Gear

get Alpine's VehicleHub !!

i have an '01 TL with navigation and want to integrate my ipod and get satellite radio as well. went to see my friendly Alpine dealer here in Raleigh, NC and he told me to hang in there about 3-4 more weeks and get Alpine's VehicleHub. He said I could do it all and not have to rip anything out of my dash. It will all work through the navigation screen with a remote - iPod, satellite radio (XM or Sirius), etc.

so.....if you have navigation in your Acura and want this type of set up, then rush down to your local Alpine dealer and ask them about VehicleHub. i'm first in line for mine!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TexasTL-S
thanks for the info. It is the wired fm mod they are using. I had the xm version in my last car and liked it, but i much prefer the sirius service. What have you done to the stereo in your TL. Since you do this for a living, can I replace the stock speakers and keep the head unit? The stock speakers seem to lack treble and i would likesomething better.
I hear ya on CC. They fucked up my last car with the xm commander install.

Thanks for your help!
You can change out your stock speakers. CAKE. If you don't wanna go nuts with it just put some 2-way 6 and a halfs in front and back. Infinity References would sound nice off the BOSE amp. I haven't done much to the TL. I've only had it for 2 months. Had a CL before that. Almost done with a fiberglass sub enclosure for it. Bought a Phoenix Gold sub amp a couple of days ago. Look for some fat shit to come outta my TL in the near future. As soon as I get some time at work.... IT's ON!!