Work in Progress: Fiberglass Encloure Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work in Progress: Fiberglass Encloure Project

Alright, so I had a few days off of work so I thought I would finally create the fiberglass sub enclosure I have been meaning to do the last couple of months. Me and a friend run a small buisiness called LEVEL Custom Creations that does custom applications of all sorts for cars around the area here. We have a small break from doing other stuff so I thought I would hook up the my good ol' Ac Attack haha.

I decided to put the enclosure in the back corner of the drivers side- there looked like there would be a little more room than the passenger side. I have 1 12" Alpine Type R that will be going in it. I have a wire channel and a recessed spot for the terminal in the bottom so it will sit perfectly in there. The box is approx. 1 cubic ft large, made from about 90% fiberglass (bottom, sides, front, back) and about 10% MDF (top and mounting ring). This was really a pretty fun project- its always fun doing something for the TL when you mostly have to do stuff for other cars all the time.

If anyone is interested I can write up a DIY if you are feeling adventerous and feel like trying it out.

Oh yeah, it will be covered in some black suede or OEM carpet or something, I'm not sure yet. I was gonna paint it in the booth but I don't wanna go through that much work right now haha. It WILL NOT stay striped haha, that was just some spare fabric my jokester friend brought me to do the curved front surface. He thinks it would be funny if I left it like that but, well its not gonna happen.

Let me know what you think! I'm gonna try to get it all finished up tomorrow and get some more pics up so stay tuned, thanks!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 AM
01 CL_S SMR

Thats pretty cool, how will it sound being back there? Will it make the trunk rattle more than if it was pushed up against the back of the seat?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Presto
Thats pretty cool, how will it sound being back there? Will it make the trunk rattle more than if it was pushed up against the back of the seat?
Good question, I've done a simular install in a 2004 BMW M3 and it sounded really good and hardly any rattling. So, I dont think it should be signifigant, but if it was I would just dynamat or add more insulation behind the trunk liner and see if i can snuff it out.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Sean

if you got the pics why not a DIY
Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Nice! I have been wanting a box exactly like that since I have had this car.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt expect as much body movement from my custom plexiglass enclosure, but both the trunk, side quaterpanels, and roof rattle like they are about to fall off. If you are doing subs would higly suggest you by the large dyno kit and dyno the entire trunk but at least the top and back sides of trunk. I have to go back and do the roof because it is out of hand how bad it shakes.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I finished last night. I couldn't find any carpeting that matches the OEM grey/black carpet so I just finished it in some suede I had lying around from a headliner project. The amazing thing is the only thing I has Dynamat in the car is the trunk lid, and the ONLY thing that rattles is the sunglass holder, which is an easy enough fix. No other rattles inside or outside. I also decided to build a 30-minute amp rack. I want to do a glass one soon, but right now im tired of fiberglass haha. I somehow misplaced the rubber gasket ring ( ) so now it looks a little shotty and the sub is a little sanddusty in the pics.

Well, heres some updated pics, tell me what you think:

Old 05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Racer

very nice, I really like your set up, but why not do it on both sides and mount the amp next to it??? It would look great and cemetrical too!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Muhtish
very nice, I really like your set up, but why not do it on both sides and mount the amp next to it??? It would look great and cemetrical too!
thanks! i had thought of doing that eventually, im thinking about using some saved up money and do two w7's and a large jl amp, as well as amp the components. However, I have my eye on a new Type S and I wanna wait and see if I end up with that. I love my 2nd Gen but I really wish it had a stick.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great idea, nice looking, and still have a trunk!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Two W7's ??? wow i've heard one w7 and it freaking has some bass, i can only imagine what 2 sound like. Wont you need a stronger alternator also?

Love the box, ummm.....how much would something like that cost?...for 2 boxes? one on each side. You can make a some nice change from this....put it towards the Type-S Let me know..
Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what kind of headunit are you running it all on?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sweet job!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Davinci27
Two W7's ??? wow i've heard one w7 and it freaking has some bass, i can only imagine what 2 sound like. Wont you need a stronger alternator also?

Love the box, ummm.....how much would something like that cost?...for 2 boxes? one on each side. You can make a some nice change from this....put it towards the Type-S Let me know..
haha yeah ive heard that 2 w7s can set off car alarms with ease- a real funny propsition in parking ramps or at the mall. I might try one first and then see if I could handle two.

If you are interested in doing a couple of boxes I can shoot you a PM of what I would charge. If you wanted a carpet or fabric covering then it would be cheaper, if you wanted it painted it would be more due to the more extensive paint prep work.

Heres a box that was exterior color matched in a Tiburon we did, just for an example:
Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLsMD
what kind of headunit are you running it all on?
I'm running a Premier DEH-P8400MP. Its a good deck but its getting older I'm ready to move on to something like a DEH-980BT.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Racer

That tiburon is looking nice. Would you have to have an aftermarket deck to run something like that? I am pretty much stock on the interior and stereo system.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 AM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Muhtish
That tiburon is looking nice. Would you have to have an aftermarket deck to run something like that? I am pretty much stock on the interior and stereo system.
not necesarily, u can use speaker level inputs on some amps or you can use a line level convertor that connects to your speaker wires and turn them into RCA, had a setup like this in my 04 Accord, it sounded pretty good, PITA to tune all the levels... i had 2 levels on the line level convertor, a bunch on the crossover and 1 on each amp lol

and a DIY would be great, that way i wouldnt have to search the internet for a good one , hopefully im gonna start mine this summer
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Cruisin'

looks good. I would paint it and clear coat it instead of carpet though. and a diy would be good. about to make one for my 00 tl. dad works with fiberglass some but doesnt quite know how to make a box out of the stuff.