Wind Buffeting (Pulsing) Sound with Windows Closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wind Buffeting (Pulsing) Sound with Windows Closed

Hey guys,

So my new-to-me 2000 Acura TL is having an extremely frustrating issue. Once I hit about 50 mph and until I get to about 60 mph there is an extremely noticeable window buffeting or pulsating noise that takes over the cabin. It sounds exactly like when you roll down only the back windows in a car and the air pulses very quickly and makes your ears hurt. The difference is that my windows are all close, and so is the sunroof. I'm 99% it's not tire noise, I've dealt with lots of tire noise on different vehicles and tires and this is like nothing I've experienced. It's almost a "feeling" as much as a "noise", it gives me a freaking headache and as a result I either drive 45 or 65 and nowhere in between.

I think there is an EXTREMELY slight possibility that there is a tire balancing issue but the steering wheel has no vibrations at any speed.

My thoughts are that something somewhere is loose and flapping around or allowing wind to enter the car somehow but there's NO wind noise. I've checked under the car and the mirrors and doors and weather seals and can't find anything out of the ordinary so I'm really stumped...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If all of your door window and sunroof sealing gaskets are air-tight, then try checking your wheel bearings. Maybe try rotating your tires and rebalance. Ensure that the hood and deck lid insulators are fitting tightly.
It appears speed sensitive. Do you have a rear wing ? Look under the front of the car at the plastic underbody shielding for looseness.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Thirstyturtle, Have you had any luck finding the source of the pulsating sensation ?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Now this is what me and a few of my friends call the whistle effect.
It is based on how Air Circulates in a whistle.

This is common in cars when you have only one window open.
(I assume the driver front?)
So you just need a channel for that air to flow to balance the pressure inside and outside the car. (Inside gets higher and tries to push teh air out but cant really and only works for a second at a time, the buffeting sound you hear.

This usually happens on big 4 door cars as there is room for the pressure to build up. Not so much on smaller or 2 door cars as there green house is small enough to balance the pressure.

The solution is simple just crack the opposite rear
EX: driver front all the way down? You should crack or open the rear passenger side window.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
This can be Related to REAR Un-Balanced Tires.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gabru678
Now this is what me and a few of my friends call the whistle effect.
It is based on how Air Circulates in a whistle.

This is common in cars when you have only one window open.
(I assume the driver front?)
So you just need a channel for that air to flow to balance the pressure inside and outside the car. (Inside gets higher and tries to push teh air out but cant really and only works for a second at a time, the buffeting sound you hear.

This usually happens on big 4 door cars as there is room for the pressure to build up. Not so much on smaller or 2 door cars as there green house is small enough to balance the pressure.

The solution is simple just crack the opposite rear
EX: driver front all the way down? You should crack or open the rear passenger side window.
I really appreciate the help, and not to be a jerk, but I clearly stated that the noise occurs with all windows completely closed.

I investigated all the spots that were mentioned earlier and the only thing I found was that the driver side rear door has a broken window seal that hangs down a few inches. It is possible this is the source of the noise but I'm not certain.

As far as the rear unbalanced tires, that sounds pretty possible. What do we hypothesize will happen if I rotate the rear tires to the front? The noise will get better, worse, or stay the same? I'll try switching the tires front to back and back to front this weekend and going for a test drive.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Thirstyturtle......I think that you've found the problem, with the driver's side rear door.
That main sealing gasket that's hanging from the door will cause problems. My bet is that the loose seal is causing the "buffeting" sound which you experienced. If you can't repair the seal, try duct taping the door perimeter from the inside temporarily to see if the sound goes away. Yeh, I know a bit ghetto.....but it might seal the noise and then you'll know.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh I read the part where you said that it was where you had one window open and it makes your ears hurt.
I agree with these guys though and maybe its a balancing issue
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

Alright guys, I'll try duct taping the door and also rotating the tires to see if I can isolate and eliminate the noise. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

It's usually best to only try "one thing at a time" to see if anything came from the effort.

I was thinking about Gabru's "whistle effect"......you may be able to apply that principle to your problem. The problem you are experiencing with the possibility of the rear driver's side door window creating a pulsating disturbance......could be negated by applying the whistle theory, simply by cracking the passenger side front window a smidge.....then the internal cabin pressure should be equalized with this procedure. Worth a try, before ghetto taping !

If this does not eliminate the problem, then onward to the next step. Is the pulsating more noticeable front or rear ? When you rotate tires, your problem may still exist....as you're merely moving the potential cause. If the tires are worn, out of round or unbalanced, they will be more evident on the steering side of the vehicle.

While at the rear...with the car supported and the wheel still secure, grip the top and bottom of each tire and check for any play in the rear wheel bearings. Also check the general condition of the suspension, exhaust and brakes. Perhaps the brake disc rotor is untrue. A minor condition can be magnified to the point where you're feeling the sensation within the cabin's interior.

It's either air or mechanical, but it boils down to the process of elimination !

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 09-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.