Wierd speed fluctuation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wierd speed fluctuation problem

I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

I bought my TL S in March of this year and posted my enthusiasm for the car back then.

I've been absent from the board for a while so I don't know if this problem has been hashed and re hashed but I am very disappointed and need a place to vent.

My car has @ 3700 miles now. At low RPM and speed under@ 35 I notice this strange hesitation or variance in the speed. Has anyone else noticed this? What is the problem here?

This is a brand new car and this problem is down right embarassing. I am taking it in for scheduled service/oil change soon but I wanted to know if this was a common problem which the service guy would probably already be aware of or one that is rare and he'll be clueless about the source.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:59 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't know if this is related to the problem I had, which was only at idle, but the service department made a change to the ELD circuit. Since then my idle has been smooth and steady.

The ELD (Electronic Lowspeed Detection) circuit fix was recommended by the Acura Tech-Line folks to the service guys.

RUF
Old 07-26-2001, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Angry

I guess this is an uncommon problem

That's not very cool.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
does it feel like you're running out of gas like the car is about to stall????mine does it ...im gonna get it checked out soon but,the dealer is an hour away and im not wantin to make the trip>>>
Old 07-26-2001, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Larry,

I have the same "feeling" around 30-40mph .. doesn't it feel like the transmission doesn't know what it wants to do? It's two factors:

1.) Lock-up torque converter. When you're mashing the gas, all-out acceleration, I believe gears 2-5 have lock-up torque converters that unify the drivetrain w/ the transmission. When you cruise at 35mph, the torque converter will engage and disengage depending on when you put your foot back on the gas.

2) The car has grade-logic programmed into the tranny. This is a plus on inclines, and sometimes a minus on flat roads. The transmission is recursively monitoring torque input and engine speed to determine whether or not the car is on an incline. Therefore, there may feel like there is a hestitation.

If anyone else has further information -- please add your input, I'll be very interested to hear it. P.S. if the symptoms are that bad, just take it into the dealership.

P.S. if you refer to your owner's manual, look under torque converter or transmission, and you'll find that there is a passage that makes mention of the symptom you're having. They refer to it as being the lock-up torque converter.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yup, this is exactly what's bugging me since I had my TL-S. I've had it for a week, almost 600 miles. I wasn't sure if it's something wrong with mine or it's something we all have to live with. I guess I'll have to learn to live with it
Old 07-27-2001, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Yes, it's a hesitation problem like I'm runnin out of gas. It's really REALLY frustrating and quite embarassing with others in the car.

I appreciate your input Peter and will tell the service guys about what you said. I drive mostly on flat roads so maybe there is something to that Torque Converter thing.

I hope they can fix it or I'm going to be really disappointed.
Old 07-27-2001, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i think RUF has the key ill let you know on this thread
Old 07-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Larry,

I was thinking about this post while driving today -- try this, if you haven't already:

When cruising around 30-40mph, keep the car in D3, let off the gas occasionally, and note the driving experience.

Next, leave it in D4, and then cruise from 30 to 45mph, and in between those speeds, let off the gas as before, and note the sensations of "running out of gas" if any. Also mentioned in the owner's manual is a suggestion that alludes to your issue, potentially. This is also in the transmission/drive-selector section. They suggest keeping the car in D3 in heavy traffic, and D4 in moderate to light traffic, or low-speed roads (i.e. under 40mph). They imply that this may eliminate the needless shifting into and out of 5th gear. Coupled w/ the locking and unlocking of the torque converter, there could be up to three "felt" shifts when letting off the gas around 40-45mph.

Lemme know how it goes.

Pete