When will this ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:37 PM
CBS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry When will this ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell ya, who ever comes up with a aparatus to prevent headlight theft, could make tons of money! Man, if I ever catch a bastard trying to take my lights.........read this horrible story....

Xenon headlamp removals on rise
Monday, December 31, 2001
By NICOLE GAUDIANO

It was a confusing moment on the road for Benjamin Benson -- and the cop.

Benson thought his xenon headlights were on while the Englewood Cliffs police officer at the red light insisted otherwise, pulling him over.

They were both wrong -- someone else had Benson's high-dollar headlights, making him a victim in a growing theft trend.

"We both got out of our cars and essentially our mouths dropped," said Benson, an attorney in Englewood Cliffs. "I was astounded. I was looking at the two gaping holes where my headlights used to be. There were wires hanging out.

"It was terrible."

High-intensity-discharge headlights, valued by motorists for their heightened illumination capacity, are typically found only on late-model import cars such as Benson's Acura.

They've also become a hot-ticket item for criminals, police say. Most recognized for their glaring blue hue, these expensive parts have lured thieves who have been snatching them at an increasing rate.

"It's happening all over the country," said Rockaway Township police Capt. Walter Kimble, a member of the vehicle-theft committee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

"It's a fairly new phenomenon. People are dumbfounded when they come out and find their headlights are gone," he said.

Several towns with malls, large office buildings, or apartment buildings in Bergen, Passaic, and Morris counties have reported such thefts in the past few months.

Acura headlights -- like those on Benson's 1999 3.2TL -- appear to be a favorite in this area, along with those on Audis and BMWs. They can cost more than $2,000 to replace.

"There becomes a market for these used parts," said police Capt. Steve Hervey in Fort Lee, where six cars have been hit since August. "A fence will buy them from the bad guy and sell them under the guise of legitimacy to a body shop."

The thefts are property crimes, with incarceration an unlikely sentence for a first-time offender, Hervey said. Police are finding arrests tough to make, unless someone stumbles across a theft in progress.

That's what happened Dec. 8 in Hackensack, when police caught two alleged thieves after a woman reported they were stealing the headlights from her 2001 Acura.

Police found the pair with two sets of headlights, an electric screwdriver, and Nextel phones with two-way radios for communicating with each other, said Hackensack police Capt. Frank Lomia.

Though the arrest led to charges in Hackensack and Maywood, police believe there are more thieves at work in the widespread thefts.

"They may be part of a larger ring of people doing this," Lomia said.

Wayne police have taken reports on almost 50 such thefts since last summer, including many at the Willowbrook Mall, said Lt. John Reardon. The Clifton Commons and public lots along Route 3 in Clifton have also been targeted, police said.

Keith Bogorowski, towing manager for Venusti Auto Body in Mahwah, said his shop replaced headlights stolen from four Acuras at the dealership in Ramsey three months ago.

"They were all 3.2s," he said, adding that the repair is expensive both for the cost of the replacement headlights and to repair the damage usually done by the thieves. "The bumper's pulled out and the grille is usually broken and the casing around the lighting is usually cracked."

Art Garner, a spokesman for the American Honda Motor Co., which manufactures Acuras, said his company is beginning to study possible ways to make the lights harder to steal.

The trend is also drawing increased scrutiny in law enforcement circles. "Obviously, we're going to have to start concentrating on it more and more," said Paramus police Detective Sgt. Kevin Smith. Police in Paramus have seen five such thefts in the past two weeks.

In the meantime, what can drivers do to safeguard their vehicles? Police say there is little advice they can give, other than to be careful where you park.

If Benson had known his headlights were a target, he would have driven his wife's Saturn to work, which is where they were stolen, he said.

The theft has been a major inconvenience, especially since he can't drive the car at night, he said.

Benson had to borrow his father's car, which he was still using Friday. He made a claim with his insurance company; they inspected it a week later and said it would take five to seven business days to process the claim and give him an estimate, he said. The claim could be anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000.

"It's not just the headlights missing," he said. "They also had to bend the metal to get them out."

Still, he considers himself lucky that the officer stopped him on Sylvan Avenue.

"God forbid I went on the Palisades [Interstate Parkway], where there were no lights whatsoever," he said.

---

The complete article can be found here - http://www.bergen.com/news/highbeam200112314.htm
Old 12-31-2001, 12:52 PM
Racer

WoW!!!! Most of those places are right in my backyard!!! I hope they catch these f***ing bastards!!!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mawaru
WoW!!!! Most of those places are right in my backyard!!! I hope they catch these f***ing bastards!!!
Perhaps a solenoid attached to the pin of a hand grenade activated when the alarm is set and the headlight housing is removed.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:58 PM
CBS
Banned

Unhappy Right in your backyard huh????

Be careful man! I just thought about something. What the police should do is setup a "sting". Get the local Acura dealership to participate by lending a couple of their cars and put up a "for sale" sign on the window and strategically place these cars at the aformentioned malls and wait for those bastards! I betcha a million bucks this would work!
Old 12-31-2001, 01:07 PM
Racer

All the TL folk in the area should rally together and do our own sting!!! We should get 30 members and kick the living sh*t out of these motherf***ers!!! Only problem is who would volunteer their car.... Hmm.....
Old 12-31-2001, 03:20 PM
j83
Pro

me!!

i live 5-10 mins from all these locations
im seriously considering something to safegaurd the hids!
Old 12-31-2001, 03:31 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
There's the shock sensor mod, but noone pays attention to alarms anyways.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here's hoping the trend doesn't come to Cleveland soon! Luckily, thieves here are more interested in stealing $500 Olds Cutlasses for their interchangable headlights (and other parts) than Acuras. Even so, It's time for me to consider shock sensors in the headlights, an idea that was suggested the last time this topic came up.
Old 12-31-2001, 05:32 PM
4dr & I like it that way

how did the guy not realize that his lights werent there? when he turned the light switch and nothing happened you would think he would have notcied that before driving off onto the freeway...
Old 12-31-2001, 05:46 PM
Racer

IMO this kinda stuff wont stop until HID's are common place among all cars. Damn thiefs
Old 12-31-2001, 05:50 PM
Drifting

I've been thinking long and hard about this headlight theft problem and haven't been able to find a good solution.

Alarms do not work--people ignore them and thieves know it. The trick is to make it so inconvenient or slow for the thieves to steal the lights that they will move on to someone else's car. It may sound really mean but that's the only effective way of discouraging theft.

There needs to be a way to physically make it difficult for the thieves to steal the lights, and this method should be easily visible to a would-be thief. For example, if you enclose your headlight in a welded steel casing internally to prevent removal, the thief should be able to see some of the casing from the outside to know that this car is not worth his trouble.

I've thought of several things we can do, including welding a skeleton steel frame around the lights, supergluing the lights to each other using steel cables wound around the chassis, welding steel plates under the light so that removing the bumper will not expose the housing, etc... anyone want to brainstorm a solution with me?
Old 12-31-2001, 05:53 PM
Racer

question are our headlights held in place my screws alone? it if its you can put superglues in the screw hole (thst is the hole where the screw driver is inserted). that would stop the theft but you would have a hella'ofa hard time removing it yourself. Might not be full proof but if i was a robber and seen that i'd leav it alone and go to the next car.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 2k2 TLS
question are our headlights held in place my screws alone? it if its you can put superglues in the screw hole (thst is the hole where the screw driver is inserted). that would stop the theft but you would have a hella'ofa hard time removing it yourself. Might not be full proof but if i was a robber and seen that i'd leav it alone and go to the next car.
Some people have suggested replacing the screws with Torx head screws so you need a Torx screwdriver to remove them.

Problem is, by the time the thieves see the screws they would have ripped your fascia apart. And when they see that you've made them waste their time on your lights they'd probably inflict more damage on your car in frustration!
Old 12-31-2001, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally posted by daverman

Problem is, by the time the thieves see the screws they would have ripped your fascia apart. And when they see that you've made them waste their time on your lights they'd probably inflict more damage on your car in frustration!
true, but atleast if they are gonna f*** you over you can rejoice in the fact that they didnt get what they came for.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by daverman

There needs to be a way to physically make it difficult for the thieves to steal the lights, and this method should be easily visible to a would-be thief... anyone want to brainstorm a solution with me?
I've been thinking about it too. Generally speaking, how about an 1/8" ss cable in that clear insulation tightly wrapped once vertically around the headlight and then clamped/tied down somewhere in the engine compartment that would be hard to get to without taking off bumber, etc. The ss cable would only really be visible up close and would not affect the light dispersion. Since we can install a shock sensor, why not add a hood switch and/or run the circuit thru the two ss cables over the headlights and piggyback it to the stock alarm or aftermarket if you have one. This way the would-be thieves see the cable before any damage(hopefully) and if they decide to cut it first, at least the alarm will go off and hopefully them too.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts

Ed
Old 01-01-2002, 02:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish, i wish i find someone trying to steal my head lights. It will be worth the bent bumper and missing light just to kick their asses from here to my local police station.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

The only way to stop this is a "Sting" We can just catch then one by one....Then kicked the **** out of them!!!!!
Old 01-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Racer

Mstyle, I'm with you. I'll join in the Sting. Let's catch these f***ers and kick the living Sh*t out of them. Then let's take them to Bear Mountain and leave them in the deep woods covered in tar, feathers, and crushed up light bulbs. Ok, now everyone on the board thinks I'm sick and twisted, but I bet we can get like 15 guys from the board together. Only question, whose TL is the bait.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Buckle Up

Originally posted by neuronbob
neuronbob
2002 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL-Premium
K & N drop-in air filter

2001 Honda Accord EX ((V4) (wife's ride)

Last edited by neuronbob on 12-31-2001 at 04:37 PM
Hey man. Just read you sig. dont wanna sound like a jackass but theres no such thing as a V-4. Its in I-4 (inline 4). fyi
Old 01-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sting? I'm in....I'll bring the bats and the "gats". If I would ever catch someone doing something to my car....even if someone tries to key it I will break their face into pieces. No mercy to these bastards even if its the first time.

As far as daverman's thought in helping to establish a security system and to help the police locate the thieves. Instal LoJack (spelling?) into each light. I know it might be expensive but if enough people want it the price should go down. That way the cops can follow the lights and take down the thieves when they wouldn't expect it.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Buckle Up

Originally posted by Alexxx
Sting? I'm in....I'll bring the bats and the "gats". If I would ever catch someone doing something to my car....even if someone tries to key it I will break their face into pieces. No mercy to these bastards even if its the first time.

As far as daverman's thought in helping to establish a security system and to help the police locate the thieves. Instal LoJack (spelling?) into each light. I know it might be expensive but if enough people want it the price should go down. That way the cops can follow the lights and take down the thieves when they wouldn't expect it.
Problem with LoJack. First isnt the unit to big to be put in the light? With cars and LoJack, a theif can pull into a gas station...look for the LoJack transmitter and pull it out. The gas station roof (the aluminum roof) stops all signal from the unit. There goes that idea.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

well I'm no expert but maybe someone can feed off it and come up with something more to think about
Old 01-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Advanced

I'm no expect either but this no charge for first time offender is total BS! That is like just asking the moda !@#!@# to try the first time and if you get away, do it again!

Damn the law can be so stupid at times
Old 01-01-2002, 08:49 PM
USMC Butterbars

all this ish wid the headlights being stolen and transmission failures is really making me regret buying the tl...dont get me wrong...its a great car...i luv it to death...but being worried all the time is really pissin me off....i live in northern NJ..and reading all the reported thefts in that area is makin me scared ****less....man....wtf!?...
Old 01-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by shimbo519
all this ish wid the headlights being stolen and transmission failures is really making me regret buying the tl...dont get me wrong...its a great car...i luv it to death...but being worried all the time is really pissin me off....i live in northern NJ..and reading all the reported thefts in that area is makin me scared ****less....man....wtf!?...
It's the same thing I felt when I owned a then brand-new 97 Accord. Back then Accords were the #1 stolen cars, so wherever I parked I was extremely concerned that someone may steal my car.

There's got to be a way to make these lights either impossible or very difficult to steal or worthless if stolen, and there's got to be a way to let the thieves see that.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by monkeymato

Problem with LoJack. First isnt the unit to big to be put in the light? With cars and LoJack, a theif can pull into a gas station...look for the LoJack transmitter and pull it out. The gas station roof (the aluminum roof) stops all signal from the unit. There goes that idea.
Two problems with your theory:

1. The thief would have to know there is a LoJack unit in the first place. If you put a "Protected By LoJack" sticker on your car, well shame on you. It's not the kind of anti-theft device you advertise, or it defeats the purpose.

2. Roof/canopy on a gas station has absolutely no impact on a LoJack transmitter. It is not like a GPS unit that needs to "see" a satellite in the sky. It will continue to transmit (and be received) just fine under a gas station canopy.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:09 AM
Intermediate

Same thing happned to me in june. It's a real big problem. Whoever did it was damm lucky i didn't catch them. Anyway i think the only way we can catch them is if we catch them in the act and set them up. I haven't seen any though with lights missing hopefully it's stoping. But if anyone needs help catching them let me know i would defintely help.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by shimbo519
how about this, when i went to get my loaner due to my headlights being stolen, the manager there told me that some guy who lives around me (in Brooklyn around the Bay Ridge area) had his headlights stolen twice in a month. The fvcking thieves waited for the guy to repair his headlights and struck again, damn, he made my day! aehaehaehaeh since then, i had to haul my lazy ass to park it in my garage and leave the suv and van outside. Its a hassle but what can we do. We can't guard it 24/7. Your insurance company will cover it, but you still have to shell out $1K deductible for each instance, plus if it happens more then once, I heard that your premiums might go up. Just received my new insurance info. Mine dropped $1K! Thank gawd I turned 25 and i guess the headlight issue cause my premium to sky rocket! It really blows to buy a nice decent car and have to go through this sh!t, another fact of life ...
Old 01-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Racer

I was wondering what if we installed a cage around the outside of the front headlights. One that obviously wouldn't interfere with the lights of course. You think that might work? You sometimes see these cages on the outside of the taillights of SUV's. We'll just knock out the middle section. It'll definitely make the car uglier, but if my headlights don't get stolen who it's worth it. I think I might have an auto body guy tell me if it's possible.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:01 AM
Instructor

I was wondering what if we installed a cage around the outside of the front headlights. One that obviously wouldn't interfere with the lights of course. You think that might work? You sometimes see these cages on the outside of the taillights of SUV's. We'll just knock out the middle section. It'll definitely make the car uglier, but if my headlights don't get stolen who it's worth it. I think I might have an auto body guy tell me if it's possible.
factor in the cost of the cage, if they want it, no cage is gonna stop em, the cost might be even higher, but its worth a shot i guess, but damn, its gonna be ugly, aehaeheaheah i think if i put that on my baby, she'll spit it back right out! lol
Old 01-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Remember the Bensi box for the radios. We need those for the lights with a safe in the trunk to put them in.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Put Car Covers..over ur cars...when u park..this tend to ward them off....they don't want to go through too much hassle...
if ur car is covered...they have to take it off..it will bring attentino to them....

park in lighted areas...with more ppl and traffic going through..

city
Old 01-02-2002, 07:38 PM
10th Gear

Lightbulb

How about just glueing a siht load of razor blades in the access to
the lights so when they reach in they slit their wrists. HEHE I like it
Old 01-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Pro

Originally posted by monkeymato

Hey man. Just read you sig. dont wanna sound like a jackass but theres no such thing as a V-4. Its in I-4 (inline 4). fyi
Actually there is

http://world.honda.com/news/1998/2980410.html
Old 01-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Miles
factor in the cost of the cage, if they want it, no cage is gonna stop em, the cost might be even higher, but its worth a shot i guess, but damn, its gonna be ugly, aehaeheaheah i think if i put that on my baby, she'll spit it back right out! lol
Are you kidding? Our HID setup costs around $2000 to replace. A metal cage will only cost $200 custom made.

But you're right, it's ugly.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:48 AM
Advanced

I say we go after ACURA!!!

I find it funny that TL's are the # 1 cars that these thieves are stealing headlights from. Acura could of prevented that when they manufactured the car. I wish I could find a good # of people to form a class action suit against them. I just bought my TL 3weeks ago & already I want to get rid of it, mainly because of the headlights being stolen(also some tranny problems). They tried to steal my headlights the 1st week I had my car, for some strange reason they stopped. They got the bumper half way off & left it, I was in a parking lot, so maybe someone seen them & they fled. Now, I only park where I can see my car or hear the alarm, if I can't then you best believe I'm double parking!!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Angry Ship them to Tora Bora

Not funny at all. I try to park in the safest spots. The article says Ft. Lee NJ and Clifton NJ, the 2 places where I work. I'm a sitting duck.

Yet over the weekend it was in East Brunswick where my car was hit with a crowbar to try & get my lights. Punched my fender through and cracked the housing, but for some reason they didn't finish. I had a bad premonition about my friend's apartment "guest" parking lot in East Brunswick. Never again will I park down there.

Shoot The F&CKers! I have to bring to Park Ave. to estimate. My car insurance has already jumped 10% in 6 months. Who knows how high it will go once my claim goes in.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Drifting

It never fails to amaze me how one's insurance rates go up when one files a claim for something that happens to him. Isn't the whole point of insurance risk sharing? Why should I get punished for a random event that hit me?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

They won't increase your rates for a Comprehensive claim, only a chargeable accident (where you actually hit something). NY & NJ just had major insurance rate increases.

Quick Reply: When will this ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!