wheel pulsating, sometimes but sometimes not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel pulsating, sometimes but sometimes not?

I have searched around the forum for a while to find people with a similar problem but nothing I have found matches what is going on in my poor TL. About 2 months ago I got EBC greenstuff pads, and slotted/dippled rotors put on at the hondacura shop her in austin. Did the whole bedding new pads one night and drove for a while to cool them off before I parked the car.

As of the last month or so when I take my car to work in the morning and come to stops at lights, stop signs or behind other drivers my steering wheel shakes quit a bit. I have tried to brake and see if the car pulls to either side, but it doesn't so I have ruled out warped rotors. Although in other situations when I have been driving on the highway for 10-15 minutes and then apply the brakes hard or soft, I can feel a very, very slight pulse in the steering wheel, but it doesn't shake like it does most mornings.

So I am wondering if this is normal situation when the brakes are cold and need time to warm up, or if this is some freak occurance. Has anyone experienced this please help!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Racer

There doesn't have to be a pull if the rotors are warped. Sounds to me like your rotors are warped but maybe it could just be the dimples and slots causing the vibration? Check your brake pads and see if they're choppy.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming you have not damaged wiring connector, bent sensor or mounting bracket, the cause normally is something in the service brake itself.

The No. 1 cause of brake pedal pulsation is uneven lug nut torque. Overtightening of the wheel lug nuts with an impact wrench, can be the issue.

See if you can tell where the issue is from the front or back brakes - test the back brakes by picking a safe place to use your emer. parking brake (softly - like you would at a traffic light or stop sign) - if you have no pulsating - the issue is with your front brakes.

Suggest you take off the wheels inspect the brakes - wiring connectors and see if anything is not put back as it should have been, re-torque your wheels. (take it back and ask them to re-check it). Hopefully this helps.

What type of slotted/dippled rotors did you put on? Cheaper versions do have issues.

Good luck....
Old 08-09-2005, 10:11 AM
TL 3.2

I have the same problem and my car is stock.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
There doesn't have to be a pull if the rotors are warped. Sounds to me like your rotors are warped but maybe it could just be the dimples and slots causing the vibration? Check your brake pads and see if they're choppy.
I was thinking that it may be because of the dimples, and using my emergency brake whenever i park my car letting the brake dust settle on the rotors overnight, but what do i really know. Although on the EBC website they say they are supposed to be great even when cold.

What do you mean by choppypads?

Originally Posted by dreamddt2000
I have the same problem and my car is stock.
When I had my OEM rotors and pads on they never did this, or at least never acted this way during different times of the day or different types of driving.

Is there a way for me to keep the EBC pads and put on OEM rotors now? Or do I have to get new pads and rotors to get that smooth stopping back in the car?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced

I guess a more general question for people, are you supposed to feel any pulsation from the slotts/dimples/drills?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I've found with slotted rotors that I've had, is I would feel, and I did feel a slight pulsation at 1/2 brake. The pads are just rubbing over the slots, which causes the pulsation feeling. But if I were to get on the brakes real hard, they wouldnt' pulsate at all. Try getting on your brakes hard one day from a decent speed, say 60mph. Just lay into them. If you feel a pulsation then you are more than likely warped (can be caused by over tighten the lug nuts). If you can't feel anything there, put the car in neutral with the ebrake on. Take off a front tire then turn the brake rotor with a lug stud. Turn in slowly, if you feel in turning smoothly all the way around, they you are good. If you feel it grab in one spot then you have a warped rotor.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bareback
What I've found with slotted rotors that I've had, is I would feel, and I did feel a slight pulsation at 1/2 brake. The pads are just rubbing over the slots, which causes the pulsation feeling. But if I were to get on the brakes real hard, they wouldnt' pulsate at all. Try getting on your brakes hard one day from a decent speed, say 60mph. Just lay into them. If you feel a pulsation then you are more than likely warped (can be caused by over tighten the lug nuts). If you can't feel anything there, put the car in neutral with the ebrake on. Take off a front tire then turn the brake rotor with a lug stud. Turn in slowly, if you feel in turning smoothly all the way around, they you are good. If you feel it grab in one spot then you have a warped rotor.

Thanks bareback, that is what has been happening, at a descent speed i don't feel the pulsation only when I half brake the car do I feel it, but I will definetly try that this weekend just to verify.