whats the verdict on the pullies

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the verdict on the pullies

im looking at getting the UR crank pulley for my car. Basically I need to know a few things before I order them. For those of you that have the crank pulley have you ever had any problems? the last thing i want is for my lights to flicker when i do things like roll down my windows or have the stereo turned up? Im not sure of how long I want to keep this car but just in case I dont want to have any problems in the long run. Also is it possible to run ONLY the crank pulley or do i have to use the entire set? I dont see a need, unless someone else can point out, for the other 2. Any additional info would be great... im just shopping around for prices right now and hope to have this mod done in the next two weeks or so......
Old 09-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Resident Troll.

someone has to know something?!?!?!!?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:24 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn dood i answered all of these questions, don't you trust me?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
damn dood i answered all of these questions, don't you trust me?

of course i trust u man.. im just wanted to see what everyone else has to say u know.....
Old 09-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Unorthodox Racing Crank pulley only as it is the only one that gives you gains. This is because it weighs 1.5 lbs rather than 8 like the stock one. It also underdrives the accessories but only 15% so in the year I have had it I can't tell the difference in that respect. In acceleration it helps alot....the engine revs faster and the car "feels" lighter when you hit the gas. Idle is smooth and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The other pullies are mostly for looks. A/C and electrical system is fine. Never a light in the dash!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
if you have neon and/or high wattage stereo...you must get the whole set.

My personal belief is that changing your pulleys only damages your car in the long run. If acura thought that pulleys would make their engine more responsive (lighter pulleys) they would of used them.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by teknoking
if you have neon and/or high wattage stereo...you must get the whole set.

My personal belief is that changing your pulleys only damages your car in the long run. If acura thought that pulleys would make their engine more responsive (lighter pulleys) they would of used them.
Of course, if they thought that making a good transmission would enhance their cars, they would have done so as well.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Race Director

Old 09-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i just would stay away from it man.. to much headaches... I have heard the same. so thats why I went for something else
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by TL260power
i just would stay away from it man.. to much headaches... I have heard the same. so thats why I went for something else

when the pullies were first introduced to the market alot of people had concerns about them... but i have never been able to find someone who has actually had a problem cuased by them.... all i want to do is freeup some power.. and other than the crank pulley i can only think of light weight rims.. unless anyone else has any other suggestions?!
Old 09-26-2004, 08:21 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

go for it man stop being a pussy
Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For those of you who have the pullies, where would u recommend getting the set form?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:35 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ndawood
when the pullies were first introduced to the market alot of people had concerns about them... but i have never been able to find someone who has actually had a problem cuased by them.... all i want to do is freeup some power.. and other than the crank pulley i can only think of light weight rims.. unless anyone else has any other suggestions?!

I had the same concerns and have read all the forums on A-TL and A-CL. I finally decided that I would do the UR crank pulley. I would have to say you can feel the extra power from the UR crank pulley. I have had it on for about a month with no problems.

The power steering and alternator pullies are only for looks and serve no other purpose.
I don't think you will find anyone on either of the boards who have had them on long enough to see if there is any long term negative effect.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and do the UR crank pulley and not waste your money on the whole set. I have all the other bolt ons and this was the last one.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
40,000 miles on mine so far, no problems.....
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Race Director

how many of you with UR pullerys have high wattage stereo/neons?
and how many of you know how the alternator works?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
how many of you with UR pullerys have high wattage stereo/neons?
and how many of you know how the alternator works?
you (and I) need this one....

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/newpulleys.html
Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Race Director

thanx, i'll look in to it
Old 09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Resident Troll.

so which would be the right one for my application

the Ultra S or the Ultra SC?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TL260power

What headache have you ever seen on any of the A-CL or A-TL forums that were caused by the pulleys. There are no documented damaged caused by the pulleys. Your statement is nothing more than
Old 09-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

I have the full set of UR pulleys and definitely notice an increase in power, and I have track numbers to back it up. I gained a full MPH in my trap speed after installing the pulleys. I have trapped at 99.9 MPH and that was in 80 degree weather.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
What headache have you ever seen on any of the A-CL or A-TL forums that were caused by the pulleys. There are no documented damaged caused by the pulleys. Your statement is nothing more than

all im saying is that i heard that it could drain power from your engine, something like that, plus the flickering on the headlights or whenever you mess with your radio.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Team Owner

LOL

You heard wrong my friend. Biggest pile of i've read all night.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
n00b question, but....

so basically... for cars without big system, Ultra S is good enough.
a pretty big system, Ultra Sc
BIG system, Ultra SS
megavolt system, Ultra SSc

and then Ultra A's are for power steering/etc and are a waste of money...?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 AM
Race Director

mrsteve, he made his opinion, and you are killing it by saying its turd?

Are you a professional in this field? Do you have a college degree at 21 in Kinematics?

If you have a high need for D/C supply, high wattage system, neons, etc...the flow of D/C will not be stable.

and just Maybe the Ultra SS can do something adequate. (not worth it for "I gained a full MPH in my trap") Most people drive the car regularly to work/school basis........not on track basis.

So MrSteve, if YOU like it, GO FOR IT! Enjoy!!!

I found some site on basic overview.......
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html
Old 09-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Racer

Hey guys, I just ordered my crank pulley - overnight shipping! Whats the best place to get it installed? I dont have a 'mechanic' and my dealership wont do ANY mod installs.

And, do I need new belts?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

mrsteve, he made his opinion, and you are killing it by saying its turd?

Are you a professional in this field? Do you have a college degree at 21 in Kinematics?

If you have a high need for D/C supply, high wattage system, neons, etc...the flow of D/C will not be stable.

and just Maybe the Ultra SS can do something adequate. (not worth it for "I gained a full MPH in my trap") Most people drive the car regularly to work/school basis........not on track basis.

So MrSteve, if YOU like it, GO FOR IT! Enjoy!!!

I found some site on basic overview.......
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

No he didn't give his opinion, he stated that the pulleys will cause problems to the engine which is something he can not back up with any facts. No engine problems have been reported due to the UR pulleys being installed by any of the members on this board.

If you have the need for higher voltage UR will sell you a different alternator pulley so that you can maintain a consistant power supply.

And I stated the gains at the track to show the UR pulleys actually make power. If you knew about what 1/4 mile numbers represent (I'm assuming you don't) you'd know that by me dropping 1 tenth from my time and adding 1 MPH that equates to roughly a 10 whp increase. After 95 MPH, every 100 whp added will lose you roughly 1 second from your time.

People are getting their crank pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines. "Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms. None of the applications that we offer utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment. It is important to note that in these applications, this elastomer is somewhat inadequate in size, as well as life span, to act as an effective torsional damper. If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. We have samples of these, mostly from Acura/Honda, the Nissan Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Fords, Chrysler 2.2L's, and 1.8L VW's, to mention a few. This is not to say that with our pulleys you will hear a ton of noise or feel more vibration from your engine compartment. Most who have installed and driven a vehicle with our pulleys will notice the engine actually feels smoother. This is a natural result of replacing the heavy steel crank pulley with a CNC-machined aluminum pulley. NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing. So to most tuners, certain types of NVH can make the driving experience more enjoyable.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to protect against crank failure from torsional movement. This is not necessary in most modern engines because of the many advances in engine design and materials. Factors such as stroke, displacement, inline, V configurations, power output, etc., do determine when and how these harmonics and torsional movements occur.

Again, there is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys. When engine problems occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first, rather than taking the time to look logically into why there was a problem. We hope that after reading this you will understand the crank pulleys better.

All of the pulleys allow stereo systems of up to approximately 600 watts RMS. If the stereo system in question is above that wattage amount then the owner has two options. They can purchase our stock or oversize diameter crank pulley or we can make a custom alternator pulley, which will be smaller in diameter and will increase the voltage output.

Capacitors are a smart addition as they store the power the amplifiers need for peak draw. Our stock diameter series used with capacitors allow the vehicle owner to achieve the cleanest and most powerful sound with no loss in voltage output. Another good option would be to install a second battery or batteries just for the stereo.
Any other misinformation I can prove incorrect?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Elementz
Hey guys, I just ordered my crank pulley - overnight shipping! Whats the best place to get it installed? I dont have a 'mechanic' and my dealership wont do ANY mod installs.

And, do I need new belts?
You probably will need new belts.

Just look in your phone book for speed shops or shops that specialize in Acura's. Thats that I have done for my springs and headers. These shops have seen the mods we do all the time so they know what they are doing.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Yes you will need new belts.

Use what is suggested by UR.

Gates K060441
Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Racer

Yes you will need new belts.

Use what is suggested by UR.

Gates K060441
Okay, thanks mr.steve. Where do you get Gates belts? I do not think I saw them on UR's website. Would any Pepboys or Autozone have 'em?
Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the pulley and loved it. It made the car feel peppier and revs came up fast. Only draw back was that on really hot days it would take forever for the ac to get cold. Then again i had the pully and a 1000 watt system running at the same time and the car ran great. Main thing to remember about pullies are to make sure they are tourqed to spec.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Racer

Nevermind, I just ordered the belt online.

....now, if only I can find somewhere to have it installed.....

I live in Mechaincsburg, PA if anyone has any sugesstions.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elementz
Nevermind, I just ordered the belt online.

....now, if only I can find somewhere to have it installed.....

I live in Mechaincsburg, PA if anyone has any sugesstions.

My dealership installed mine
Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
TL-S driver

the best way to free up power and to make your car lighter and faster is.......LOSE SOME WEIGHT!
Well, for me at least, I figure if I can drop 10lbs, that's 10lbs lighter in my car and a little bit faster. hehe
Old 09-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

And I stated the gains at the track to show the UR pulleys actually make power. If you knew about what 1/4 mile numbers represent (I'm assuming you don't) you'd know that by me dropping 1 tenth from my time and adding 1 MPH that equates to roughly a 10 whp increase. After 95 MPH, every 100 whp added will lose you roughly 1 second from your time.
Steve:

I'm not clear about something - is this 10 whp increase with or without mods? Thx.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Race Director

Steve you assumption is incorrect, I perfectly well understand the # of QT, and the result you have achieved...thus I said "GO FOR IT! Enjoy" with an ecstatic smily.

I was saying for ppl who dont do track or have high power drainage might not want to do the pulleys.
Again, dont get me wrong, Im not a hater, Im saying enjoy bro.

PS im not saying they are good or bad, just saying some ppl wont need them
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

No he didn't give his opinion, he stated that the pulleys will cause problems to the engine which is something he can not back up with any facts. No engine problems have been reported due to the UR pulleys being installed by any of the members on this board.

Any other misinformation I can prove incorrect?

Ok first off i didnt state anything all i said is what i HEARD!!!!! Get your facts straight.

Im not saying "dont get them they mess up your engine" or hating on anyone nor against people who have them. People tell me dont get them others tell me to get them. Who knows maybe i will get them later on but i plan on keeping my car in the next years to come so i want something to last for some time..
Old 09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Well if you heard the Type-S actually had 400 horsepower would you post it without some facts to back it up? If you heard making a left turn while your right turn blinker was on would blow a tire, would you post it without facts to back it up?

Don't mislead people who are considering the purchase of a modification if the only knowledge you have is that you "heard it will dim your lights and mess up the radio when you push buttons." Come on, stick to facts!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok in this forum of ours there are a lot of topics be brought up all the time and people who have some things to say about the topic on what they heard dont necessarly state facts to back them up..

you;ve read them and i've read them...

ok so drop it

Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
go for it man stop being a pussy
Old 09-28-2004, 06:13 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
I had the pulley and loved it. It made the car feel peppier and revs came up fast. Only draw back was that on really hot days it would take forever for the ac to get cold. Then again i had the pully and a 1000 watt system running at the same time and the car ran great. Main thing to remember about pullies are to make sure they are tourqed to spec.
hmm, that's kind of a drawback on the A/C. although i find mine takes a few minutes to really get cold anyway so i supposed it's not a big deal.

i plan on installing the UR crank pulley on my TL very soon. for about 3-4 years before i came to this forum i was involved with some other cars, one with a japanese engine (Taurus SHO with 3.2L Yamaha DOHC engine). i know many people from SHOforum.com running crank pulleys with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM on engines with 100k + miles.

i also spend alot of time with people who own chevys/pontiacs with LS-1/LT-1 engines in them and i spent alot of time back in 2000 researching this on the chevy 3100/3800 series engines. they will not hurt your car.....unless improperly installed of course.

i will also say there is nothing wrong with being skeptical or having an opinion, but the facts don't lie. no offense to anyone here.

do it and enjoy it!

SSTS

Quick Reply: whats the verdict on the pullies