What is on the left side of the sub woofer? (from the inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is on the left side of the sub woofer? (from the inside)

Hello all,

I have a problem that began as a rattling sound that has now evolved into a full blown rattle/squeak/bang problem.

It is coming from the left side of the sub woofer, meaning if you are sitting in the front, and turn around and look at the back seats, the rattling is coming from the left side of the sub woofer grill or top , whatever it's called.

I don't have my camera at the moment, but I found a picture on ebay motors to demonstrate. This car has black leather, but my car has beige leather.

When I hit pot holes or bumps, you can see the piece behind the left seat's headrest move up and down.

When I try to lift the piece , it is pretty hard to lift and I cannot see what is under there. At first I thought the rattling came from loose items in my trunk, but when I took everything out, I still heard the rattling which escalated into banging and squeaking, the kind of squeaking that metallic objects make when they rub against each other.

If you know what I am referring to, please chime in. If not, I can get my camera asap and take specific photos of what I am talking about.

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i bet it is the metal tabs ( i think they are metal) on the bottom of the woofer cover that connects into the rear parcel tray...get one layer of electrical tape and wrap around one thin layer and see if that helps
Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same rattling / squeaking problem and I thought the noise was coming from something on the rear deck but come to find out the noise was coming from one of the trunk rods. It popped out of the plastic holder and was rubbing against the other trunk rod when I drove over a bump. I put the rod back in the plastic clip, holder thing and the noise was gone!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
take the sub out and get an aftermarket one. problem solved...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Hey, I checked the rods under the trunk lid but they were fastened. I had not noticed, but a piece of metal has poked through the lid. This is what I hear bouncing up and down when driving over bumps.

What sucks is that when I pull up on the piece, it seems like it is fastened down and I cannot see what is under there. Any ideas guys??

Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The rear deck covers are only held on by tabs that you can access from the top. You have to take the subwoofer cover off (held on by tabs, just pop it off) and there should be a couple of black push tabs per side that you need to take off in order to take the cover off. The tabs can be a bit stubborn so if you're having a hard time removing the black tabs you can pop them out by pushing them out through the bottom. They're easy to find on the bottom part of the rear deck ( the part visible inside the trunk)
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 AM
T-Swzy

if i had to venture a guess, i'd say that's the top of your shock and screws are loose somewhere and everytime you go over a bump your squeaky shock isnt staying put with the top hat.

but then again, i've never even heard of this happening so it's pretty out there.

the last time we changed a friend's shock, we had to remove the seats in order to take off that cover. just a heads up
Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Razzi, you're guess isn't out there because I recently had my shocks replaced ..

I hope this isn't damaging the suspension. I'll take a look after work.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Razzi
if i had to venture a guess, i'd say that's the top of your shock and screws are loose somewhere and everytime you go over a bump your squeaky shock isnt staying put with the top hat.

but then again, i've never even heard of this happening so it's pretty out there.

the last time we changed a friend's shock, we had to remove the seats in order to take off that cover. just a heads up
I took my car in a few weeks ago and that was the problem. Something had busted when I hit a pothole and the shock was poking through the rear deck.

I got it fixed (thank God the place honors their labor for 1 year) but when they put the seats and rear deck back in, they did not align it properly.

Now, when I hit the brakes, some of the brake light bleeds through the sides of the subwoofer assembly (not sure what it's called).

This only bothers me at night because when I hit the brakes the light reflects on the rear windshield.

Do I have to take the seats off to adjust it? I tried to adjust it manually but it wouldn't move unless I apply a lot of force and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if they honor their labor you should just make them do it.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tegkid
if they honor their labor you should just make them do it.
lol I would but it's a bit of a drive. When the shocks were first installed I lived ~5 minutes from them. Now I live ~50 minutes.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its easiest to remove the rear seat back to take the rear deck cover off but not necessary.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh i see.
well i would just remove the rear seat and rip out all that paneling back there (doesn't take long) and see where they messed up. if its something simple then just throw it back together and be merry or if they actually messed up a piece or something then call them up and make an appt.

no reason for you to have to buy something for their screw up. i'm assuming they replaced your rear deck for you?