What the heck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 07:35 PM

Angry What the heck!

I apologize before hand about the length of this post. After months of research and debate, and reading this great forum, I have decided to purchase a TLS. I really thought I would be able to get a pretty fair deal, after reading what some people here got. I e mailed the New Orleans dealer and called a Baton Rouge dealer. The dealer in Baton Rouge said not only would she not go below MSRP but she had a waiting list of 15 people! Can that be true? The dealership in New Orleans has not even responded. My question is- If I go to someplace like Houston, how would getting it serviced at my local dealership be? Do they have to service your car? I thought they did. The woman in Baton Rouge said she I would need a service contract if I brought it anywhere else. I never heard of such a thing. Anyway, some insight would be appreciated. I am ready to buy, but I do not want to pay sticker. I would rather stay close to home, but if I have to I will pack my bags! Thanks
Old 05-03-2001, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you can get a much better deal elsewhere do it. For service if they ask where you bought it from say you bought it where you did and you just moved into the area; how would they know?

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 05-03-2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Kirk:
...My question is- If I go to someplace like Houston, how would getting it serviced at my local dealership be? Do they have to service your car? I thought they did. The woman in Baton Rouge said she I would need a service contract if I brought it anywhere else. I never heard of such a thing...
A "service contract"? Are you sure that's what she said? Acura takes great pride in their service (the whole "TLC" thing) and I've never heard of even a Yugo dealer placing restrictions on who can and cannot have their car serviced in their shop. My guess is that Acura's corporate customer service would be very interested to hear this story --particularly if you know the name of the woman who fed you that line.

In my local area there are three Acura dealerships, two of them are owned by the same company. My salesperson did subtly imply that I'd get preferential treatment if I have my car serviced at the dealership where I purchased the car or at their "sister" dealership.

It sounds like the Baton Rouge salesperson is just trying to scare you out of buying a car somewhere else, and is one of those people who give car salespeople a bad name. I'd contact Acura.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Heretic on May 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-03-2001, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that's sleazy. Please do us all a favor and tell Acura. Maybe you'll get a deal from them in return if you're nice about it...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 05-03-2001, 09:18 PM

Yes, I am sure she said service contract. It really suprised me. During the conversation I even told her about some deals people were getting on this forum. She responded like she new the site. Maybe she will read this and deny it. I think I will call Acura. They may not be able to do anything, but they should know what some of these salespeople are doing.

She is not going to stop me. I will have a brand new TLS is my garage soon!
Old 05-03-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro

Wink

It does not matter where you buy your car. You can have it serviced at any Acura dealer. As far as warranty work, any dealer MUST repair the vehicle no matter where you bought it. Don't listen to their BS
Old 05-03-2001, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Kirk,

You know it really sucks when you want a great car like the TL Type S and an Acura Dealership gives you a bad feeling about it all.

Let alone a car buying experience is a pain in the ass, just makes it harder when you are so ready to buy, but no where to go.

I know it's tough to convince yourself to pay list / MSRP for this car, but that's the way it's going to be since it's still fairly new. Just depends now on how patient you are and how badly you want the car.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2001, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by lonny:
It does not matter where you buy your car. You can have it serviced at any Acura dealer. As far as warranty work, any dealer MUST repair the vehicle no matter where you bought it. Don't listen to their BS
Yeah, I was in the States, and the ACURA dealer even did service for my Canadian TL.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:11 AM

You are being fed huge BS. Definitely call Acura regional AND Honda corporate. The saleswoman will deny everything, of course, but your complaint may not be her first.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Kirk:
I apologize before hand about the length of this post. After months of research and debate, and reading this great forum, I have decided to purchase a TLS. I really thought I would be able to get a pretty fair deal, after reading what some people here got. I e mailed the New Orleans dealer and called a Baton Rouge dealer. The dealer in Baton Rouge said not only would she not go below MSRP but she had a waiting list of 15 people! Can that be true? The dealership in New Orleans has not even responded. My question is- If I go to someplace like Houston, how would getting it serviced at my local dealership be? Do they have to service your car? I thought they did. The woman in Baton Rouge said she I would need a service contract if I brought it anywhere else. I never heard of such a thing. Anyway, some insight would be appreciated. I am ready to buy, but I do not want to pay sticker. I would rather stay close to home, but if I have to I will pack my bags! Thanks
Hi, I'm from Baton Rouge and my dealing with Acura Of Baton Rouge was unpleasant and nonprofessional. I ended up making my purchase from Walker Acura in New Orleans. Got a good price and better treatment. I would talk to Jason the sales manager at Walker.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Kirk, you came to the right place.

I was in your shoes and can help.

I will gladly provide you the name and number of my guy that will get you the same deal he got me(Maybe even better).

As for the Walker people, they just told me that sticker was the deal; take it or leave it. I left it and got a much better deal elsewhere.

Do you want my help?

I will send you an email to verify.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Larry on May 04, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-04-2001, 08:52 PM

Larry,
Thanks for your offer to help. Things are actually looking up right now. I should have a TLS tomorrow. I will have to go Houston to get it, but that is ok. If everything goes as planned I will post the deal and some interesting stuff about the Baton Rouge problem. Everyone was right, she handed me a line of BS, and she may wind up paying for that. Stay tuned!
Thanks again to everyone, Kirk
Old 05-04-2001, 11:24 PM
Racer

yupe, she's trying to jack-up the price or rather not negotiate the price sell the car to you MSRP.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraguynj:
Kirk,

I know it's tough to convince yourself to pay list / MSRP for this car, but that's the way it's going to be since it's still fairly new.
Good luck!
You don't know what you're talking about. Are you an Acura salesperson? Anyway, no one should pay list on this car. If you read previous post many people are getting huge discounts off of list including myself.

Old 05-05-2001, 01:39 PM
Racer

Way to go, Kirk!

I hope I don't have to go that route (out of state to buy my car, that is) but I will if necessary. I WILL NOT be treated like an uninformed idiot by any dealer, anywhere.
Old 05-05-2001, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Bluefrank is right about the stupid little grin! I was biting my lip last night as a 325 revved it up next to me!

Old 05-05-2001, 11:24 PM

My continued story...I ended up going to John Eagle Acura in Houston for my TLS. They gave me a great deal. I saved about $2500.00 over what I was getting offered in LA. I got a Black with parchment, body kit, spoiler, wheel locks, and visor for under $31,600.00(not including tax). They also give two years of all scheduled maintenance for free (unfortunately, I cannot use, not being in Houston). I think I got a great deal. They told me these vehicles are in very high demand in the South and they also have a waiting list(except for Blue, which they have). I think I got lucky, and also they did not like what I had gone through(see next paragraph).They were the nicest car people I have ever dealt with. Get this, they picked me up at the airport in a LIMO!. very high class. I am the CEO of a credit union in New Orleans so I have dealt with many many dealers and these guys are the best. I highly recommend them. I think the 5.5 hour drive was well worth it. First e mail to them Thursday, driving out the door with my new TLS Saturday afternoon-not bad.If all Acura dealerships start acting like this, then Lexus better watch out.

Now for the interesting part. It just so happened that the Southern Region Sales rep was there when I was initially speaking to my sales rep. I told my sales rep about what I was told, and that it made me mad,and was it true. Needless to say they were all very upset. Just as a reminder, I was told by a dealer in LA that if I bought out of state it would be difficult to get my car serviced in LA. I would need a service contract, and I would not get a loaner car. The Houston people said that was all false. I have a feeling someone will be getting a call very soon.

The good news, I got a great deal and I LOVE the car. Best ride I have ever had. Already drove it 390 miles. Break in period almost over! Thanks to everyone here for keeping me informed it really helped. I better stop now, I am rambling.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Hang in there Kirk...When you do get your Tl-S it will be all worth it.

The hard part is trying to remove that stupid little grin from your face while driving...

It's a FUN CAR to drive don't let one STUPID DEALER get you down!

Frank
Old 05-06-2001, 01:01 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Great going!!

Now all you have to deal with is that darn break in period:0....Oh ya, you bought out of state that should go by pretty quickly!

Old 05-06-2001, 01:39 AM

Thumbs up

Kirk..You got a great deal! Now go back to the LA dealer, park your new TL-S in front of the window, and strut through the dealership. If you see the lady, tell her its to bad she couldn't do business with you. Maybe their Acura dealer just likes to look at their inventory! Tough on them.

Last thing..When I bought my TL-S, I worked with three dealers. When I finally made my deal, they all called back and offered there services. It didn't matter who I bought the car from as long as I was happy. They also told me that their dealerships make the money from the service dept. So true. Have fun!
Old 05-06-2001, 08:20 AM
Pro

Smile

A great deal and a great car! Enjoy both!