What do you think about these tranny symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about these tranny symptoms?

I did some searches and am 99% sure my tranny is failing. I have about 79K on the car, I rarely (and I mean maybe once every 3 months and only for a minute or two) use the manual shifting, I don't race, and rarely get above 4K RPMs. Just normal driving in an area where you have to drive somewhat aggresively to get anywhere (Northern VA).

It seemed to have started soon after I had the tranny fluid changed at the dealer at around 74K miles. Can't say if it was immediately after, as it was random and such a small thing. A slight vibration when shifting from 2nd to 3rd when slowly accelerating. It didn't seem to happen every time, so it was hard to determine if I was just on rough pavement (i.e. normal vibrations due to the road condition) or if it was something else. After several weeks, I determined that it was definitely my transmission slipping a tad. It was really almost unnoticeable and has only gotten a tad worse. I also sometimes notice it when going from 3rd to 4th, but it happens less often. It also does not happen under moderate/hard acceleration -- only when I'm slowly accelerating due to traffic or just not in a real damn hurry. It's been doing it at least 2 months, with no real driveability issues. Tranny going?

Another thing I noticed about 6 to 8 weeks ago is that if I'm cruising slowly, say between 25 and 35, and pressing on the accelerator just hard enough to maintain that speed, the tach oscillates about 300 rpms back and forth. For example, it will go from 1K to 1300 and back again in less than a second, and I can hear the engine sound changing along with it, so it really is revving and not just the tach wobbling. Another symptom of tranny going?

Last, for many months, I noticed that sometimes when I'm braking moderatly hard from say 45 to 0 (like when a light turns yellow and you can't make it through in time), sometimes the downshift is sudden and it brakes to car much more than the pressure I am applying. Tranny?

I checked the fluid level and it seems fine. Anything else come to mind?

I don't really have time now with last minute holiday stuff and holiday travel (which does worry me a bit), but I plan to take it to the dealer the day after Christmas to have it looked at.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Additionally -- my gas mileage has totally gone to crap. I used to get at least 21 in my normal every day driving (mix of congested traffic, back streets, and open highway), but lately I am lucky to get 16 mph. Could that be related to a transmission issue or something else? I changed the air filters at 70K (about 5 months ago). Have not changed the plugs yet.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
those all sound probable as failure symptoms. Call your dealer and make first available appointment. The give loaner cars- many times 08s! That beats breaking down on a trip.
They will tell you its 100$ diagnosis fee, dont worry. If they find the trans is acting up- they generate a warranty work order and you pay nothing.
If they find nothing- they note it in the records and usually dont charge you.

It has happened before- that changing the fluid results in failure soon after. Make sure your car has the extended warranty- and if out of VIN range- since they did the fluid- dealer will get you ~goodwill~ warranty
Good luck
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Surprise, surprise .... dealer came back in 20 minutes and said they are giving me a new tranny. Time to go see what kind of loaner I will get .....
Old 12-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
trans, and the mileage could be attributed to the trans and the fact that winter formulas for gas are out and that will make a difference.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
my mileage dropped right before the trans went out, and the code they pulled said engine overspeed- the slipping trans tricked the system- good example of codes are not diagnosis in themselves

In this case, it just had that feel of- trans is headed out....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Instructor

The drop in mileage became really noticeable the last 3 or 4 tank fulls. I calculated something like 13.68 mpg for the last tankful, and I generally drove it very conservative for that tank. Even if I had all city traffic, I should have gotten better than that. I usually average 24 mpg in mixed driving (slightly less now with Yokos vs Michelins).

They have to order the transmission/parts, so with the Christmas holiday, the car will not be ready until the Thursday after Christmas at the earliest, likely Friday. I am heading out of town Thursday afernoon for the NYE weekend, so I likely won't have my TL back until the new year (when I return).

If it is ready before I leave, what do you folks think about taking a just-replaced transmission on a 260 mile trip, late at night, with much of the last 100 miles being in the boonies? I am really hoping the the car is not ready before I leave, as I'm not too keen on the idea.

As a side note, the 2008 TSX I got as a loaner isn't a bad ride at all. Pretty quick/nimble, but I like my 2003 TL a bit better. The TSX has a much more attractive dash, better heated seats, better climate controls etc. Then again, it is 5 yrs newer than my TL. I think my TL rides better, and I am having a hard time getting used to the gas pedal on the TSX, as it is very easy to depress, taking probably 1/2 of the pressure needed for my TL. I'll get a better idea of it's highway handling in a few minutes, when I hit 95 South for a couple of hours.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Tell em you are leaving earlier than you really are and take the TSX on the trip...