WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THE 300M

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 12:23 PM

Funny, I saw a 300M ad the other day and wondered what you guys would think of it compared to the TL-S. I agree with Andy, the quality of Chrysler is not very good. We had a 93 Intrepid and too many little things fell apart. The a/c went out (thats not one of the little things) along with a couple of other little mechanical things. Then the front bumper would fall off with regularity, the airbag molding was warped, the quality of materials is poor, the fit and finish is bad.

But the 300M's do have a beautiful, big interior. Love those gauges. The rear end is kinda ugly, but at least they cleared out the orange in the back. The car is nice, but the TL-S is better and more sporty in my opinion. I'm getting married in October and when I asked my fiance about the 300M (she hates 4 doors by the way) she said it was on old mans car. Hahaaha... I like the LHS better by the way. Same power, interior but with better looks. Anyway, she loves the CL-S and now I'm swaying her to the TL-S... a better looking car in my opinion.

Hey Andy... ever considered getting clear outs on your Benz? I saw some pics you posted of it. Love that color, just thought it would look great if you got the clearouts for the front orange lights. It looks great when its done.

Old 05-08-2001, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I thought about it a while back when I was starting researching my next vehicle, but after reading what the Type-S brings to the table, the 300M was not even on my shopping list.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the looks, but not the quality.

Plus, if this thing really makes 252 horse, why is it so slow?
Old 05-08-2001, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In 1999 I was set on getting a 300M. I liked the autostick and the engine. After test driving the car I decided to see what other cars had a autostick type transmission. I did this not to find a replacement but just to check the competition before buying. I found several and decided to try the Audi A4 Quatro 2.8 and Acura 3.2 TL. The Audi was very impressive when I tested it on wet roads and could not get into trouble on fast curves but it was small and the back seats were very uncomfortable. When you added every option you wanted the price was too high for the car. I next drove the Acura without much hope for it being a contender. I was surprised by the comfort, quick acceleration and adequate handling. I also drove the SAAB 9-5 to put things into persective since I had had 3 SAAB Turbos. The SAAB felt good and handled better than the Acura but the engine (V6) was suspect and again it was overpriced. I decided on the Acura w/NAV, which was also my wife's preference. I ended up with the most trouble free consistent car I have ever owned. From the begining I was bothered slightly by the odometer/outside temp. readability in bright sunlight, high speed handling, and the hard disk NAV updating on a cross country trip. Still I was very happy with the car and did no mods. Every time I see a 300M I thank myself for not getting it. The styling I once liked has lost it's appeal. It looks too big and is slower than my 1999 TL.

Now I have a 2002 TL-S NAV which solves everything I didn't like on the '99. This car is in a different class than the 300M. I think it will hold its' value better and based on the '99 should be trouble free.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Racer

Looks nice … but Chrysler reliability is amongst the worst. A friend owns several AAMCO transmission shops and according to him Chrysler transmissions are notorious for packing up after 25-30k miles.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:36 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JATLIFE,

The clear corners look great, but some how, many local punks are stealing it off MBs. Thought about getting a pair, but figure I would leave it as is for couple of reasons: The car is 9 1/2 year old, and am not going to spend too much $$ on it. Also, thinking about step up to an AMG(possibly C32 AMG, or Next Gen E55 AMG)in next couple years(less than 4 for sure).

The Silver S-Class I posted on my page belongs to one of my friend, who no longer own the 500SEL, but a W140, S500 Coupe...

To all,

MB has announced that beginning of 2003, Chrysler will get to use MB parts on Chrysler Vehicles(Next Gen 300M/Concord/LHS/Intrepid would possibly be the first model to use MB parts)at an average of about 15% - 30% per car.

I am kind of looking forward to that, as that would in some way boost up Chrysler's quality, and FORCE MB to make even better cars.

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 05-08-2001, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Post WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THE 300M

I WAS ARGUING WITH MY BUDDY THE OTHER DAY.HE TOLD ME THAT HE LIKES THE TL BUT HE WOULD DEFENITLY PREFER A 300M.I TOLD THAT THE 300M IS A GOOD CAR BUT FOR OLD PEOPLE.AM I RIGHT OR WORNG.WOULD U GUYS TRADE IN YOUR TL`S FOR A 300M.BY THE WAY IT IS THE SAME PRICE.PLEASE ME KNOW BECAUSE I AM ANXIOUS TO SHOW HIM YOUR OPINIONS.

PS:THE 300M`S BACK IS REALLY UGLY
Old 05-08-2001, 11:45 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I am slightly disagree about 300M being an old ppl's car. You would be amazed by how many young ppl(mid-20's to early 30's) driving 300M. 300M has plenty of room, great performance, not-so-bad styling and good value. Only thing that really pulls me away from 300M is the fact that it's an Chrysler.... Problems here and there, and pops up none-stop after 2-3 year of ownership(My '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited A/C died after 1 year, and dealer has never been able to fix the problem. Even at the date of trade-in, the A/C was still dead).

Both are priced about right(in Vancouver, fully loaded 300M is about $1000-$1500 more). If you really need the room, and a torquy engine, 300M is the "Bang-For-The-Buck", if you are looking for sporty sedan, and like the rush of high-rev engines, TL-S is it!!!

P.S. It's truely my personal opinion regarding build quality of American Cars. It has improved over the years, and I have to admit, some American Cars are VERY well build(Olds Intrigue, for one...)

Maybe I am a bit stereo-type on this, but my Jeep was, structurely TOUGH, but little problems never went away...

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

Mercedes-Benz S-Class