What do the moonroof visors do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do the moonroof visors do?

What exactly is their purpose? Do they reduce wind noise or vibration?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are supposed to reduce turbulance and wind noise but my moonroof visor rattles like everything else in my car. When I took it out, I really did not notice too much of a difference. I actually like it better with out it because it cuts down the sunroof's size in half. The only reason why I kept it is because when I took it out, there were scuff marks where it sat that I cant get rid of
Old 08-30-2001, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Do you guys like the way the visor looks from the outside of the car?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

honestly, i used to like it but now it just takes away from the clean look of the car. I'd say, if you like it, go for it!
Old 08-30-2001, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Black TL
honestly, i used to like it but now it just takes away from the clean look of the car. I'd say, if you like it, go for it!
As for the scuff marks problem, I heard you should take off the visor and clean the area it sits every now and then.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SoundSpeed

As for the scuff marks problem, I heard you should take off the visor and clean the area it sits every now and then.
Soundspeed, you're right. I should have done that but unfortunately its too late now. Guess I have to live with it.

Rosh
Old 08-31-2001, 01:13 PM
Banned

There's been several threads on this over the last several months. Here's a post I did just after I got mine. I still feel the same way:

I have one and love it. I had the car for a week without it, and although I love opening the moonroof, the wind from even slow speeds would mess up my 'do and blast rear seat passengers in the face. Now with the visor on I can travel at 80mph on the highway and there is *barely* any wind noise or disturbance in the cabin. If you use the climate control or A/C almost exclusively and never open your moonroof then don't get it. Below I've made a list of what (I think) are the pros and cons of the moonroof visor. I'm sure others will add if I've left something out:

PROS:
1. Drastically reduced wind noise in cockpit
2. Drastically reduced wind disturbance in cockpit
3. Allows cockpit to be vented in hot weather without exposing interior (see below)
4. Visually looks attractive

CONS:
1. Reduces overall size of opening of moonroof by about 5 inches
2. Adds some aero drag to the car (possibly reducing overall top speed--unconfirmed)
3. Serious threat to paint if removed
4. Slight increase in wind noise with tilt feature
5. Visually looks unattractive
6. Difficult to clean under
7. Plastic can scratch easily

Although it seems like there are more cons than pros, I love having mine. One of the biggest pluses for me is #3 above. I park the car in an open lot at work with no shade. I can crack the moonroof a couple inches to allow hot air to rise and escape out of the interior during the day without fear of a bird bombing my nice leather, or even a quick passing shower. Makes a difference when I return to the car 8 hours later.

As for the paint issue, I look at a moonroof visor like a nose bra. If you're going to put one on, fine, but don't plan to ever take it off because there will be visible signs of where it once was, even after a short period of use.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:25 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't put it on. Why add 1 more variable to the rattle noise.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:16 PM
Advanced

According to my dealer, it does very little. However, it is supposed to cut down on wind noise. The reason I got it is because I typically drive in the direction of the sun (which is weird, since I travel mostly west in the morning, mostly east in the evening -- no idea how that works out that the sun is always in front of my car...). The little bit of shading that it provides while I'm driving with the sun in just that position helps keep some of the glare down.

Now, I think there's also some physics involved with respect to air currents. My physics is a bit rusty, but if I remember correctly... Think of it as an extended wing. The longer the wing, the more air current passing along it. That should, in theory, have some impact on the temperature of the car (moving air creates a breeze, obviously, whether warm or cold). I know this is a stretch, but I'd like to believe I have something here.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My visor has been on my car since 99 and i just took it off. I used Goo gone to get rid of the stuff under there. Just be patient and use a soce to keep rubbing and keep reaplying goo gone to the sock.