What % of drivers in your city do not..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 08:51 PM
Type S personality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What % of drivers in your city do not..

signal when changing lanes? I am currently working in Tampa Florida and I find the drivers VERY annoying. I would say a good 40 - 60% of them do not signal on lane changes. Many would turn suddenly in front of you. Many will wait until the VERY last second and do a 4-lane lane change. I am the visitor and if anyone might be bad at driving it should be ME. I don't know the city and directions but these drivers are not very considerate. One time this guy cut in from of me so I honked and he gave me a peace sign.

I am from Western Canada and 10-15% of the people do not signal. Most of the time I can anticipate a driving wanting to change lanes so signalling more so a matter of courtesy. When I was in Houston I found them more consistent, in a good way.

Anyways, not trying to tick anyone off. Just want to let out some frustration.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say a good 40 - 60% of them do not signal on lane changes.
Man I hate that. It's my biggest pet peeve along with people who brake on the onramp before merging on the highway.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by goaub

... people who brake on the onramp before merging on the highway.
I'm with you there! The worst are the idiots who actually come to a full stop.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:50 PM
Racer

Piss ass drivers

Originally posted by 8ball

I'm with you there! The worst are the idiots who actually come to a full stop.
U guys ain't seen nutin till u have drivin in SoCal.... Count yer blessins... Out here they signal with .45's..lol..
Old 08-26-2001, 12:10 AM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Colo. Spgs. has grown so fast in the last 10 years, it's quite a cross breed of people...& I say 50% of people don't signal! Must be OPTIONAL equipment on lots of cars. yeh, & ya gotta love those people that learned 2 stop, when merging w/ faster traffic, like DUH!
Old 08-26-2001, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Piss ass drivers

Originally posted by BB16

U guys ain't seen nutin till u have drivin in SoCal.... Count yer blessins... Out here they signal with .45's..lol..
Ehh where I live about 85-90% of people signal.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
New York City and Taxi Cab Drivers. Enough said.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:13 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Piss ass drivers

Originally posted by bioyuki

Ehh where I live about 85-90% of people signal.
In O.C people are still considerate but if you hit L.A man after going though the traffic I don't even want to signal. Signal= No turning cause every mother fu*ker will speed up.

Mr.T
Old 08-26-2001, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Washington D.C. & cab drivers also.
But as for the people that don't signal I would say about 45%.
This would be in the city making a turn onto another street in front of you. I have found this happen more in the last 3yrs of the 23yrs that I have been driving. They stoped Drivers ED in schools for awhile here. This may be one factor & just plain bad drivers in general.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:32 PM
aTL
Instructor

Atl its pretty bad here to but i've driven in D.C. and New York those cats up there are rediculious road rage up there is more common then a Gary Condent joke on Jay Leno.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:52 PM
Dr. TLS

75% don't in Nashville, TN
Old 08-26-2001, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man, if not using turn signal's is your major annoyance, consider yourself lucky.
Here in New York City area, of course allot of people don't use the signal's, but it's become so minor to the other sh!t you deal with everyday. My biggest peeve these day's are the dumb$$' that BACK UP on the highway because they missed there exit!?!?! Literally on the right lane! There's also the one's who decided they don't want to sit in traffic so they drive out of a entrance ramp. As you can imagine, we got allot more to snibble about than idiot's not using their signal's.
And not all signal user's are on the same level either. We got the one's who changes lanes regardless if a car is in the next lane or not, I'm talking about the one's who thinks if they put their signal on, they could immediately change lane's.
Ever get stuck behind the moron who turn's their signal on right when the light turns green. Now your stuck behind this guy for the duration of the light as the right lane keeps driving by with no gap to let you in. Light turns red and the guy makes the left. And you wind up at the light again. Thanks alot Dic$!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 12:29 AM
Drifting

Probably 70-85% of Kansas Citians do not use their turn signals. The driver's ed situation in KC is not bad, but there are still extremely poor drivers on the road. For some reason, people in Johnson County tend to be better drivers, and people from Wyandotte County tend to be the absolute worst offenders. Maybe it's because Wyandotte Co. didn't require a practical exam before handing you your license for the longest time. Hmm!

All in all, KC is still has a pleasant driving environment. People don't back up to their exits (some do). The biggest problem in KC is that people don't realize that the left lane is used for passing. I often see two cars driving side by side blocking the two lanes of a highway, going at exactly the same speed, oblivious that I'm trying to pass the both of them. It usually requires a few stabs at the horn to wake one of them up.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:53 AM
Instructor

i dont want people to know what im planning on doing next. try to keep em guessin' so they can't be vindictive and play roadhog.

<mounting soap box>
besides, its not like the idiot soccer mom, haulin ass in the minivan, on the phone, reading a book, putting on makeup and trying to control her flippin rugrats gives a flyin leap if she cuts you off without signaling. remember that commercial where the guy has his own road..."Oh its you bob..." i need a vacation.
<dismounting soap box>

best bumper sticker (if there is such a thing)

"Bet you'll drive better when i shove that cell phone up your a$$!)

len
Old 08-27-2001, 03:14 PM
Bada Bing

There are definitely a lot of idiot drivers here in NYC...I personally think that most of them bought there license's.

My biggest pet pieve is the morons who cruise the left lane doing 55mph as you're pulling up on them doing 80mph flashing your lights...yet they refuse to move. I've found myself doing quite a bit of lane changing and cutting the idiots off close without my turn signal...God forbid they should get the hint and move over.

I really hate driving like an a$$ but these people just push my wrong buttons.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:40 PM

Exclamation

It's pretty bad, people show no driver etiquette at all.

They cut you off with no signal then slow down.
Imagine if you were in line during Christmas shopping and someone cut you off in line and skipped you , you'd say something.

These cowards that do not use turn signals would NEVER CUT YOU OFF FACE TO FACE.

Yup slow drivers in the fast lane check
People coming to a complete stop at ramps check
Taxi cab drivers IN EVERY MAJOR CITY check
Speeding in residential neighborhoods check
Speeding up next to you when you are speeding up to turn check
Driving with high beams on cause 1 regular light works check
Swerving in 3 lanes cause their on the cell phone check
The stoplight turns green and the person in front of you decides to go sometme tomorrow check
I have not even mentioned SUV's yet
Old 08-27-2001, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Man, they don't even sell cars in Phoenix with turn signals any more. The younger drivers don't use 'em and the Blue Hairs forgot what they are for.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:10 PM
...and then there was One

Man, the cops don't even use them around here...
Old 08-27-2001, 06:24 PM
Drifting

People that don't signal is pretty annoying. But mufvckers that don't move their ass on an on-ramp really piss me off.
ITS THE PEDAL ON THE RIGHT SIDE, ASSH0LE!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
My biggest peeve is the azz'oles who do not
KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS

Damn, they drive 55-60 in the fast lane, and they see you coming, block you out, then match speed with the truck or bus in the slow lane. AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

That makes me CRAZY!!! And they wonder why there is road rage!
The worst part is that they ALWAYS pull over to the right once you get around them. B*stards!!!

Then, after that, comes the morons who do not signal, or signal then go the opposite direction.

And how about the ones who wait till you get close (on a single lane type road), then pull out in front of you, then do 10 mph under the speed limit!!! UGH!

Sometimes, I think that they plan there day and time it just perfect to pull out in front of me, then slow me down in time to make me miss a light, that lets 20 cars and a cement mixer get in front of me.

Gezz, I have to stop ranting.....

:-jon
Old 08-27-2001, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Remember kids,

"Turn signals are the facial expressions of automobiles"
(Donald A. Norman, one of my favorite Industrial Design authors)
Old 08-27-2001, 11:49 PM
Instructor

i rarely signal, hate me.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro

Red face

I think that it is about 50/50 in L.A., but signaling is not a major problem. Some of the biggest morons behind the wheel are here in L.A. Since I have to drive over 50 miles to work and back every day, I get to experience every type of moron out there. It is very frustrating driving here because people are rude, ignorant and just plain stupid. Every other moron on the road has a cell phone glued to his/her head. People, get a life!!!!!!!!!! AND, get it somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 08-29-2001, 09:09 AM
Banned

In Houston, few people signal when changing lanes. Signaling is a sign of weakness. If you signal, someone will definitely speed up to close the gap. Never let them know your next move!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mikester
In Houston, few people signal when changing lanes. Signaling is a sign of weakness. If you signal, someone will definitely speed up to close the gap. Never let them know your next move!
Ain't that the truth!
I do try and use mine if there are cars in my vicinity, but when it's an open road I don't, unless it's late at night, when Johnny Law my be looking for an easy ticket.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:37 AM
The "old" guy

....ok...since we are talking about peeves here, what about the person in the front of the line when the turn arrow goes green. They sit there for 4 seconds before they move and then never turn faster than 5 mph! Never mind the finite time of the arrow...or the fact that there are 12 cars behind them trying to turn!
Old 08-29-2001, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by mikester
That happens alot LOL, sometimes I wont signal for that very reason. The best is when people who are trying to make a left or right from a major road with no turning lanes onto a small side road or driveway without signalling at all or a tad bit better they brake and completely stop and THEN hit their turn signal. HELLOOOO????
Old 08-29-2001, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
New York City and Taxi Cab Drivers. Enough said.
I make it a point to stay off the sidewalks in the city. lol
Old 08-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
It's pretty bad, people show no driver etiquette at all.

They cut you off with no signal then slow down.
Imagine if you were in line during Christmas shopping and someone cut you off in line and skipped you , you'd say something.

These cowards that do not use turn signals would NEVER CUT YOU OFF FACE TO FACE.

Yup slow drivers in the fast lane check
People coming to a complete stop at ramps check
Taxi cab drivers IN EVERY MAJOR CITY check
Speeding in residential neighborhoods check
Speeding up next to you when you are speeding up to turn check
Driving with high beams on cause 1 regular light works check
Swerving in 3 lanes cause their on the cell phone check
The stoplight turns green and the person in front of you decides to go sometme tomorrow check
I have not even mentioned SUV's yet
NYC...sigh...what's worst than being behind a guy who hits the brakes on an onramp is being behind someone in the right lane who comes to a complete stop to allow a car to merge in from an onramp. That really pisses me off.....now that's freaking dangerous......
Old 08-29-2001, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Indyjenks
....ok...since we are talking about peeves here, what about the person in the front of the line when the turn arrow goes green. They sit there for 4 seconds before they move and then never turn faster than 5 mph! Never mind the finite time of the arrow...or the fact that there are 12 cars behind them trying to turn!
That sh!t happens all the time. That really pisses me off.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:22 PM

This trips me out too, when you let someone in or ahead of you and they look at you like THEY"RE CAR IS FASTER THAN YOURS like they let THEMSELVES IN!??!?! WTF, I did you a favor, a wave please.

People knowing the lanes ends (cause 15 signs said LANE ENDS) and they drive all the way to the end trying to push you over.

RUBBERNECKERS, people looking at accidents, etc slowing ALL TRAFFIC.

SLOW cars in the FAST LANE (nuff said) ther should be laws about this.

SUV's in the fast lane (I can't see #$%^&)
Old 08-30-2001, 01:54 AM
Racer

hahaha - I've got you ALL BEAT !!!

ZERO PERCENT (0%) PROPER SIGNAL USEAGE IN S. MARYLAND (Metro D.C. Area)

That's right, not one stupid-azz mofo uses their turns signals properly here. Some of them do, but it's in a way that it's pointless anyways.

Examples
1) Someone will be slowing down in a driving lane and you're wondering what the hell they're doing, and then they move into a turning lane and THEN put their signal on.

Well DUH moron, you're obviously turning but the whole point of the signal is to warn others BEFORE you move over.

2) Using the wrong bloody turn signal!!! Yep - no joke! I've seen it happen. Someone will use their right signal to go left, and their left signal to go right! No joke - about once per month I see this.

3) Some people do actually use their turn signal properly but then they forget to fricken check their bloody mirrors first!! and they end up causing someone (usually me) to have to slam on brakes and swerve.

4) Using your turn signal after it's too late. You're supposed to signal any change in direction before you make your maneuver, but many of the mentally-challeneged people around here (a vast majority of the population) will actually complete their maneuver first and then signal. Like they're on a highway and will complete a lane change and then signal their lane change after they've already made it. Or they won't signal until they're already halfway into the other lane.

Well freakin DUH buddy - it's pretty obvious now. Seriously, why even bother??

=========

And these examples just represent the 50% of the population that uses their signals but just not properly... The other 50% don't even fricken bother.

To those of you that think I'm lying - I'm not. This is all true. Just come to Maryland one day and hang out in the I-270 corridor north of the D.C. Beltway and you'll see what I mean.

I just graduated from college last December and I moved to Maryland from Pennsylvania. Back in PA I'd say a good 60-70% of people use their signals properly and that the other 30% or so don't, but you hardly see any "improper" signal useage up in PA.

Down here in Maryland it's just fricken unreal... You wouldn't believe the crap that you see on the roads here. And all of this stuff above that I just described - that's only signalling issues Running red lights that have been red for 10 seconds is quite popular around here, even with traffic coming directly at you (do these people have death wishes or something), not yielding the right of way is also popular, as is turning left on red, and completely ignoring any and all traffic laws under the sun.

There's a light at where I work and every week there's a good 4-5 accidents on this stretch of road all because of retards running red lights...

Anyways, sorry for going a little off-topic.

It's just ridiculous here in Maryland...OMFG!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 08:20 AM
Cruisin'

Got one for you guys….i admit, nyc taxi drivers are getting a little better. But some of them still do something that really annoys me. Drivers put on their right signal and I'm thinking "ok he's gonna make a right turn….i'm better off following him than be on the left lane (usually a car turning left at the intersection)….so I follow the guy with the right blinker on….and all of a sudden he stops dead in his tracks to pick up a passenger…….i'm not accusing all cab drivers of this (some do use their emergency flashers to indicate that they are stopping).
Old 08-30-2001, 09:12 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm from New Jersey and I just recently moved to the Northern Virginia area, and I totally have to agree with SteVTEC on his problems with Maryland drivers. The same seems to hold true for a lot of Northern Virginia drivers!

I'm used to driving in New Jersey and the New York area where even though people drive like maniacs, they at least have a small regard for their own safety. In Northern Virginia it seems like nobody really cares if they kill themselves and anyone else around them! In the past 4 weeks I've been here I've almost gotten hit by cars moving over and not looking at least 5 times. On top of that, I've noticed when the weather is inclement (rain, snow, etc)... that people speed up instead of slow down! I don't understand when I'm driving 80mph on the highway and it starts to rain why you would want to go faster! The people around here must be thinking "If I drive faster I can get out of the storm!" ... In driving around I've seen at least 1-2 accidents per day, and I've seen at least 2 or 3 really bad accidents (the ones where you look at the car and say "If anyone lived through that, it must be a miracle") ...

I am actually very worried that I'll be in an accident shortly because of these drivers in the area. People in the New York / New Jersey area should feel lucky... At least there I wasn't fearing for my life when I drove around
Old 08-30-2001, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally posted by LiQiCE
I am actually very worried that I'll be in an accident shortly because of these drivers in the area. People in the New York / New Jersey area should feel lucky... At least there I wasn't fearing for my life when I drove around
I'm scared to death of driving around here... I hear it's just as bad down your way in Northern VA. I think the closer you get to D.C. the worse it is, but it's pretty damn bad up here north of the beltway in MD. I'm in the northern most D.C. burb (Germantown) and it's just craaaazzzyyyy. Too many stupid people. I drive with my hi-beam lights on during the day now - something I've never had to do before. I always run my lights 24/7 for better safety and visibility, but the idiot density in this area is just a little too high so now I run the hi-beams all the time - except at night when regular lights are enough...

Fortunately my commute to work is only 0.9 miles (literally right down the street) so I avoid the majority of morons out there. But if I had to make any serious commute I'd be scared to death and would probably crank up my insurance and get a small little beater car or something...

It's seriously like everytime you go out on the road you feel like there's someone trying to kill you because the people here have absolutely no respect for other drivers, nor concern for their safety or that of others...
Old 09-02-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro

Angry

Hey, I forgot one. How about the idiots who are stopped for the signal w/o any left turn signal activated. You pull up behind them figuring they are going straight. The signal turns to green and THEN the stupid moron puts on his left turn signal. What the hell is up with that? Where did these idiots learn to drive?
Old 09-07-2001, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Here something I bet you didn't know about the DC Metro area.... as soon as you get your license you blinkers are automatically disconnected. Makes sense doesn't it....
Old 09-07-2001, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I'd say 60%. Does anyone know if it's illegal in US to change lanes w/o signaling? My brother got a ticker for doing that in Ontario, Canada.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:29 PM
Racer

U Want bad drivers? I got u bad drivers

I used to think drivers here were bad. Sheet.. Experts all compared to Taiwan. My sister lives there, and I've gone to visit a couple times. Friggin whole country is one big bumper car Fair. You CANNOT have a nice car there for more than 2 days. People judge their parking like a Woody Allen movie. Signals?? They don't even know what the friggin he11 they are. Right away?? Bahahhahah... U merge into traffic by body slammin another car. Serious! And once u park, ya never know when u come back if your car will be there. They tow everything not cemented down. Leave a message in chalk where your car once was, but don't tell u which impound they took it to.. Taxi all over town tryin to find the damn thing.
Count your blessins here .. lol

02 WDP/Ebony TL-S