Water pump replaced - does that mean antifreeze was too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water pump replaced - does that mean antifreeze was too?

Still a newbie, so this is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway:

I had the 100k service done on my 2002 TL-S about a month ago (yes, at the dealer). And yes, I still only have about 100k on a 2002 vehicle!

The water pump was one of the things they replaced. Does that also mean that the radiator now has fresh Honda antifreeze in it?

And I don't need to change/add more before this winter?

The invoice doesn't specifically say anything about whether a fluid flush / replacement was done.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
Yes they would have but probably not Honda coolant unless you had asked. Probably bulk stuff they get.
Ohh, and I have a '95 legend with 34k miles on it.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Yes they would have but probably not Honda coolant unless you had asked. Probably bulk stuff they get.
Ohh, and I have a '95 legend with 34k miles on it.
They should have gave you fresh fluid and I'm pretty sure they gave you Honda fluid since it was at a Dealer like you said.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the dealership would not have replaced all of the anti-freeze, they would have only replaced any they might have lost. Typically a good shop will suck out the anti-freeze enough so that it doesn't make a mess when the water pump is removed and then reuse the fluid that was extracted. The EPA laws are such that they must recover the fluid, most recycle the fluid today and reuse it only a small amount of virgin fluid is ever used today. There are machines and methods that clean and restore the fluid to new for re-use.

So if your worried about the fluid check the fluid with a tester to see that it is at the correct concentration and if it is then don't worry about if not a flush and drain won't hurt.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
an acura dealer or any decent tech- DOES drain and replace as much of the coolant as possible
hopefully by the block drain as well as the rad drain,
with heater core open to get its contents as well- plus must be open for burping on refill

they have the right tools and storage containers on hand as required by law

Parts list on invoice should include 2 gallons coolant

as said above a 2$ tester at parts store will tell you concentration and protection level temp, or just look inside the rad cap- fluid will be bright color and to the top of rad
Also look in res bottle for matched color- meaning it got rinsed and refilled as its supposed to on this job

res and rad transfer fluid between every time you run the engine and then let it sit, temp changes alter fluid levels
Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
an acura dealer or any decent tech- DOES drain and replace as much of the coolant as possible
hopefully by the block drain as well as the rad drain,
with heater core open to get its contents as well- plus must be open for burping on refill
don't know of any dealer or shop that will completely drain the coolant system when they change the water pump unless specificly asked to do so by the customer. Time is money, supplys cost money. They cannot by federal laws get rid of the coolant it has to be recovered and recycled. Makes no since to drain the system any further than about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the radiator or to just below the pump. Basically your draining the intake and not the block. This provides two advantages, less time to repair, less fluid to recycle.

Less time becaue your not standing around waiting on the whole system to drain before you can remove the pump, then less time finishing the job because you don't have to waist filling the system and time purging the sytem of air because you won't be interducing air into the system since you drained it from the top down and are not filling from the bottom up like it would if you drained it. So the odds of interducing air into the system is minumal requiring less time spent to purge air from the system.

Also since you recover the fluid you can reuse it in the exact same car it came out of saving the the customer money and the dealership the disposal fee to get rid of it. Most will regen the stuff on site to start with other pay someone to take it away. the days of a shop completely draining and flushing a cooling system are long gone there are better more cost effect ways to deal with today. There are specific machines that get connected in series with the upper hose and regen the coolant and purge the system of any an all air.

In the old day before the federal laws changed there weren't any machines to recover or regen the coolant, today it's a required piece of equipement every dealership and quality shop has in their inventory.

Last edited by rcb2000; 12-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
It is best to ask the tech as some techs can just remove the wp, replace, and top of the coolant. If they didn't charge you coolant flush as part of wp replacement, then it was not flushed.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the great information.

I double checked the invoice again, and although it doesn't mention a flush/fill for the coolant, the parts list does include Honda Type 2 coolant fluid. So based on this, I have to think that the car did get a fresh fill of Honda coolant fluid.

I realize this doesn't necessarily mean that they *flushed* the system, but at this point I do know that the fluid in there should be good.

BTW, I did also pickup a tester. Just haven't had a chance to use it yet.

On the off chance that the fluid level looks low, can I add Prestone 50/50 or should I go to the dealer and just buy some Honda Type 2?

Thanks again!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I think i should probs' get mine done in June...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by qwertybobo5
Thanks for all the great information.

I double checked the invoice again, and although it doesn't mention a flush/fill for the coolant, the parts list does include Honda Type 2 coolant fluid. So based on this, I have to think that the car did get a fresh fill of Honda coolant fluid.

I realize this doesn't necessarily mean that they *flushed* the system, but at this point I do know that the fluid in there should be good.

BTW, I did also pickup a tester. Just haven't had a chance to use it yet.

On the off chance that the fluid level looks low, can I add Prestone 50/50 or should I go to the dealer and just buy some Honda Type 2?

Thanks again!
if you where charged two gallons of antifreeze, then they replaced it all and if they only charged one then they just toped it off and the protection level should be checked.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

`flush` is not needed for most of us- the rad and system are pretty clean on most of the tl's

Old school cars of the 70s 80s with metal radiators, you had to flush and reverse flush the systems often twice to get the rust out

acura says to replace the coolant on the wp job BECAUSE its reached 7 years.
thats absolute life expectancy for it,,5 years is normal on replacement or aftermarket coolant
After that, the additives go bad and turn acidic--in an aluminum home = anyone awake during 7th grade science class want to tell us what the result of that meeting is????

If your level is a tick low just add water to it,,wont dilute enough to concern you unless you live in alaska or other sub zero F temps
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

acura requires a full drain and refill --as coolant has reached its life limit at 7 years
They would be liable for engine damage from bad coolant after service otherwise!
these people know litigation~ and cover their butts well

a FLUSH would be hooking up a connector in the heater line and running tap water thru the engine as its running, spitting out old coolant...where? all over the place~
then you reverse the flow using other line so it gets the heater core good...
this is technique from the 50s!!! not the 2000s

with a rad and engine block drain on the TL-(something old cars lacked)
you get most of the old stuff out with a normal gravity drain
I would be more concerned with all the tap water crud left behind in a `flush`
over a straight drain and refill with proper coolant of 50/50 mix

can we get a service manager from acura or current acura tech to confirm the job is being done right --for the money your charge!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
acura requires a full drain and refill --as coolant has reached its life limit at 7 years
They would be liable for engine damage from bad coolant after service otherwise!
these people know litigation~ and cover their butts well

a FLUSH would be hooking up a connector in the heater line and running tap water thru the engine as its running, spitting out old coolant...where? all over the place~
then you reverse the flow using other line so it gets the heater core good...
this is technique from the 50s!!! not the 2000s

with a rad and engine block drain on the TL-(something old cars lacked)
you get most of the old stuff out with a normal gravity drain
I would be more concerned with all the tap water crud left behind in a `flush`
over a straight drain and refill with proper coolant of 50/50 mix

can we get a service manager from acura or current acura tech to confirm the job is being done right --for the money your charge!!

hey come back to the real world, a complete drain is not going to happen unless specificly asked by the customer your clue less, also the car manufacture is not liable for a lack of suggested maintenance at a suggested time interval. dude that's a huge joke your spitting out those teeth.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

acura calls for full replacement of coolant and charges 2 gallons-

there is a book procedure they follow for each step--yes there are shortcuts, but parts of it are done a certain way. Every job has a school the dealer tech attended and is rated to perform

I am in the world where on occassion some people do things right,,not many --but some..
If you watch them like a hawk-- Caveat Emptor Is the Rule Of The Land

plus the wp is located pretty low on the block for much coolant to remain~
If any keeps dripping you get a bad seal on the new gasket--shop is liable to do the job over

Maybe you use, or are, the tech who does as little as possible
(just kidding)

If you paid to have the 105 and suffered engine damage from `cut` antifreeze resulting in less than 50/50- shop would be liable

Use a decent tech/shop that knows the right procedures to fill and burp the TL
Its not difficult, but it is different than most cars I worked on over the decades
Old 12-23-2010, 02:12 AM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
can i drain as much as possible from the easy to reach plug, refill, drive, then re-drain?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rcb2000
hey come back to the real world, a complete drain is not going to happen unless specificly asked by the customer your clue less, also the car manufacture is not liable for a lack of suggested maintenance at a suggested time interval. dude that's a huge joke your spitting out those teeth.
WTF is your problem? I work at a dealer and ALL the techs here completely drain the system and refill with fresh fluid. The only thing that needs to be specifically asked for by the customer is an actual flush. I don't know what "real world" you live in.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

no aspec
you cant mix fluids and drain more-calling that changed..
what is this- the transmission <g>

go thru the right wheelwell and you can reach the engine block drain
You really do want to get that open-- if at all possible
Not all years have the little twist arms,,just a bolt type fitting

if you cannot get the block drain out--oh well,,you did your best-
assuming just changing coolant without wp job
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

there is always some old coolant left in the upper hose and other areas..
we cant get 100 percent perfect,,, but its never been an issue as long as I have worked on cars..
thats got to be at least 3, maybe 4 weeks now~
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

thanks for the dealer tech confirmation timberland

Can you verify the typical TL in for its 105 - the radiator is pristine inside
Just shiny metal and clean passages
add new fluid, possibly thermostat and rad hoses on general principle...
especially people who waited a few years past 7~
those parts would be a good idea to replace while its easy to do