vs. Infinti I35

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Webologist-You are right. Infiniti indeeds seems to roll out couple new models next year G35, I35. However, the option on the Infiniti sometimes seems pretty confusing, In the I35 news release, Infiniti said it will offers numerous options on the new I35. Sometimes I really want to know how numerous will that be.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:07 AM
Pro

Not to worry too much! If the G35 is the size and similar body to the G20.....I've driven it (as a loaner) and it sucks. It's as small as a civic and has little to no luxury. It does have pick up but not in a elegant, mid-size package.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

ScreamingVQ, I didn't mean to touch a nerve when critcizing the suspension and transmission of the I-30/35, but it just doesn't seem that they are up to par with the competition. While Nissan has had great success with the 4sp, the transmission has been out for a while now. It seems Infiniti/Nissan would have upgraded by now. Maybe they have made some modifications because I'll admit I don't follow the nameplate that closely, but it would appear that most luxury cars are using 5sp. Lexus switched to 5speed in 95, and everyone else soon followed. While I can't argue with the outstanding service record of the Infinitis, it appears that they are taking quite a beating on resale value compared to either Acura or Lexus. You would think that the new Q would be selling much better than it is with a complete redesign, sharp looks, mucho power, and hi tek features, but sales appeared to have stalled. I hope slow sales are no indication that Infiniti will discount the Qs at year end as in previous years because in my opinion that propels the resale problems. I feel the I-35 will probably be changed in 2003 or 4 to update the suspension and the transmission as well as a freshen the look. There has been little change in appearence of the I-30, and it still does not distinguish itself from the Maxima. I realize car comparisons are subjective, and please take this for just another opinion.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:38 PM
Pro

heymista-I just do a research LExus ES300, RX300, and LX 470 is still 4 speed. While rest of the Lexus is 5 speed, this is quiet interesting. The 2002 ES 300 will also get stay with the 4 speed. Volvo's only model that is still 4 speed is S80. Acura RL is still 4 speed.

On the other hand the Infiniti only had one model is 5 speed automatic-Q45. It is sad to see that the I35 is still comes with 4 speed. Maybe it'll come with 5 speed in the next model's change.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by heymista
ScreamingVQ, I didn't mean to touch a nerve when critcizing the suspension and transmission of the I-30/35, but it just doesn't seem that they are up to par with the competition. While Nissan has had great success with the 4sp, the transmission has been out for a while now. It seems Infiniti/Nissan would have upgraded by now. Maybe they have made some modifications because I'll admit I don't follow the nameplate that closely, but it would appear that most luxury cars are using 5sp. Lexus switched to 5speed in 95, and everyone else soon followed. While I can't argue with the outstanding service record of the Infinitis, it appears that they are taking quite a beating on resale value compared to either Acura or Lexus. You would think that the new Q would be selling much better than it is with a complete redesign, sharp looks, mucho power, and hi tek features, but sales appeared to have stalled. I hope slow sales are no indication that Infiniti will discount the Qs at year end as in previous years because in my opinion that propels the resale problems. I feel the I-35 will probably be changed in 2003 or 4 to update the suspension and the transmission as well as a freshen the look. There has been little change in appearence of the I-30, and it still does not distinguish itself from the Maxima. I realize car comparisons are subjective, and please take this for just another opinion.
What? This topic is still alive? Your right about the I-35 being changed in 2003 or 2004. Infiniti is eliminating FWD cars in their line-up in the next couple of years. I posted a link somewhere on the threads on the upcoming new generation Maxima with the possibility of AWD according to Nissan. I don't know if the new I35 will still be based on the Maxima, but if it is, more than likely it will be AWD. It doesn't suprise me that the 5th generation Maxima and the 2nd generation I30 doesn't have a 5speed auto though. Nissan was still recovering back then so they couldn't do a complete redesign, just modify the existing A33 platform.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:40 AM
Pro

Hmm, if I35 is going to become AWD soon. I might just trade in my I30t.

Wow, 260hp and AWD. Can't wait.