Volvo C70?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo C70?

Guys, I know I just posted about how "pleasurable" a drive I had in my TL, but I have to be honest and I know you guys are sick of hearing it, but I am more than a little scared of these tranny probs. I am telling the truth when I say this, if my tranny goes any time soon, like before 80,000 miles, I am getting rid of it. That brings me to my next question for you guys. What do you think of the Volvo C70? Especially the one that comes in safron metallic(orange color). I think that ride is SWEET!! No you can't buy it with navi, but you can install your own navi if you choose. The HT version is hella fast and from what I hear it handles like a dream. Of course I would have to test drive one before I make a final decision. I would probably buy a pre-owned version 00'-01'. And guys(and gals), I know every car has its problems but a tranny is a BIG problem. Volvos seem to be pretty reliable from what I read. So if the tranny blows early, Volvo here I come.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:11 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, the volvo C70 is one sexy looking car! I don't know about that orange color. But I saw a pic of a hooked up silver C70 and it was beautiful!:wow: I hope your tranny don't blow on you. I have a 99 TL with over 64,000 miles and so far so good! (knock on wood )
Old 08-19-2002, 11:27 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's pretty nice i think, but have seen one really hooked up that made my say OH YEAH! but it does come with dynaudio speakers. however, i hear it will be replaced soon.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:32 AM
Racer

The C70 is a nice car. My old boss has one and let me drive it a couple times. Real nice. The HT is fast but not REAL fast. It's about as quick as a TL-S...maybe a little slower than the TL-S, but only by a couple tenths of a sec. In terms of reliability, volvos are great. My mom has had two volvo station wagons and both were tanks. (both in body durablilty, and powertrain) The first one my mom had for like 10 yrs and had put around 230k miles on it before she sold it...and it still ran GREAT. The other she sold after about 5-6 yrs. But both were very reliable and both could withstand a scud missile attack.

Although...all the new volvos have forgone the structural strength they were known for, now they have crumple zones etc which I guess is actually safer.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro

Don't confuse the new Volvos with the old...

Years ago, we had an old 245 wagon. What a tank. It was slow but it was solid and reliable.

Volvo is now run by Ford (I believe) and the cars have felt it. A friend of mine had a 2000 or 2001 C70 convertable for less than a year when he sold it back to the dealer. The body and interior were falling apart and the car was in the shop more than in the garage. The final straw was that the body sagged (one year old!) so bad that the doors would not close correctly. The dealer tried to pass of some adjustments as "the best you could expect" from the car. It was sure a pretty car and kinda fun to drive but it was a piece of junk. Not bad for $40k+.

Another friend has an S80 of the same vintage. He still has it but it has also been a nightmare. Body plastic falling off, etc.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 PM
The axeman Cometh

Another thing...Volvo has BAD electric problems and you will experience this in the near future. I got rid of my 97 850 for my 99TL and have not looked back since. BTW, I have 73,000 with no tranny probs on the car...actually 0 probs thus far
Old 08-21-2002, 09:42 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine had a 00 c70 coupe with the T5 engine. That car was a beast to begin with and could give the TLS a run. On the highway i think it's faster too. He had a bucnh of mods for the trubo and other cosmetic mods. His car was fast, sexy and sounded real mean. He had it until the new 6 speed CLS came out, and he wishes that he still had it.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Comptech Freak

i won't consider any non-turbo volvos...they are slow...hahahaha

well...C70 is one great coupe...but overpriced when it's new
Old 08-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

ever think about waiting til the aero versions of the Saab 9-3 sedans come out? those are some hot lookin cars and "most people that test drive a saab, usually buy one" ... =)

i didnt have a chance to do so when i was lookin for a car but the TL was a really smooth ride so now im rollin around in it
Old 08-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Volvo C70 Convertible is a sweet car! I would love to own that car next.....but I think you have to act fast. I heard they are getting rid of that line soon......could be rumor though.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Instructor

The euro C70s came with Navi as an option. But you would lose your Dolby Prologic. I talked with the designer of the sound system and the problem is purely physical. They couldn't fit the center speaker and the navi screen together, so one or the other. The designer said that if you can custom make a bracket for the center speaker (amp?) you're good to go. I'd like to do this mod as I have contacts in europe. I'm trying to get the part numbers together for this mod. The Navi disc should be interchangable with the ones they currently have now in the US. Swing by www.swedespeed.com forums, there's a section for the C70 and a whole thread on it's sound system with the original designer's input (I bet you can't say that with acura's sound sytem ).
Old 08-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I have a 98 S70 right now wit hover 111K onm the clock. The mechanicals have been great, but it has had a few electrical gremlins. 2 window switches stopped working, headlight switch popped off leaving the car with no lighting till it was fixed, 2 O2 sensors went bad just out of warranty. Other than that it has just been normal wear and tear on the car; just had the front axle replaced. Let me say this though, Volvo parts are $$$$$.

Having said that, I like the car still, the C70 looks awesome, and I came close to buying a turbo instead of the TL-S. I just wasnt that impressed with Volvo interior styling, and the handling especially for the price which as i wanted it would have been in the $40k+ area. Also if you think a TL rattles, you havent seen anything yet. Still though I love the C70's exterior styling, and you dont see them around that much. The turbos and suspension have a on of potential in the aftermarket as well.

If you like the C70, you have to check out this site if you want to see some really sweet ones; www.ipdusa.com. Grills, kits, performance, its all there. Seeing these pics makes me question my decision every now and then sicen my cars will never reamin stock; but a quick drive usually is all it takes to bring me back.

Project Cars
http://www.ipdusa.com./project_cars.aspx