Volvo: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo: Development and Technology News

Volvo stylist to lead Ford

Briton to focus on design direction

DEARBORN -- Peter Horbury is credited with giving Volvo vehicles their distinctive shoulders. Now he'll shoulder the design load for Ford Motor Co.'s North American product lineup.

In a bid to better focus the automaker's design direction and redistribute the work load flowing from an ambitious product plan -- 65 new vehicles in the next five years -- Horbury will have design responsibility for all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models.

Horbury will report to J Mays, Ford's group vice president in charge of design, whose own responsibilities expanded with his promotion last summer.

"I'm not walking away from those three brands but I need someone there on a day-to-day basis," Mays said. "He's coming on as sort of a bridge between what was my old position -- vice president-design -- and the existing design directors that we have."

Currently executive director of design for Ford's Premier Automotive Group -- which includes Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin -- Horbury, 53, assumes his new position Jan. 1. His first assignment?

"The No. 1 priority is to get in here and do what we have yet to do with Lincoln, which is get it fixed and get it back up on the road," Mays said.

While demand for Lincoln's trucks -- Navigator and Aviator -- is up 96.7 percent this year, Lincoln's overall sales have tumbled 21 percent. At the same time, Cadillac, Lincoln's revitalized crosstown rival, is on a roll with truck sales up 25.7 percent and car demand rising 8.3 percent.

Ford and Mercury are also struggling with aging car models that have depressed sales this year.

Why choose Horbury, a jocular Brit steeped in the European luxury car market, to oversee design at three American brands?

"He's a fantastic people person and he's a fantastic designer," Mays said. "I don't have to tell you what he's done for Volvo."

Horbury is credited with transforming Volvo's predictable boxy style with its current look, which strives for strength and elegance.

Now he plans immersing himself in the culture of pickups, SUVs and American family cars.

Mays, an American who spent a significant part of his career in Europe as a designer for Audi AG, isn't worried.

"I was an American that did just fine at Audi. He was a Brit that did just fine at Volvo," he said. "Oddly enough, I wasn't really considered American when I came here ... I'm considered part of the furniture now."

Furniture is something Horbury knows about, confessing a Swedish armchair was his inspiration for the shoulder-like curves that grace the rear quarter panels of today's Volvo models.

Patrick Schiavone is one of two such design directors, having responsibility for Ford's sport utility vehicles, pickup truck and commercial vehicle platforms.

"Ten years ago, we had something like four or five directors," Schiavone said. "At any given time, I've got 20 programs. If (Horbury) can take a little bit of pressure off of me, I'll be a happy guy."

Like Mays, Horbury is unfazed by the cultural divide he faces. That's because "outsiders" bring a fresh perspective, he said.

He has also supervised Ford's design studio in California. And before he makes any major moves, Horbury plans to meet with dealers. "We have to know our customers," he said.

It's typical of Horbury's style, said Jan Vulcan, chief engineer for the forthcoming Ford Freestyle, Five Hundred and Mercury Montego.

"He's a good listener," Vulcan said, who worked with Horbury during his 11-year tenure at Volvo. "He can also explain design, why certain lines are good-looking."

Said Mays: "I'm looking forward to a good 10 years together."

And it could be an exciting decade because Horbury is a legendary joker. Having been tricked into eating raw chicken by a group of Japanese journalists, he turned the tables at a PAG event in Frankfurt.

"They were sort of picking at their food," Horbury said. "I told them it was mountain gorilla."

Horbury's PAG post will not be filled after he joins Ford. Each brand's design director will now report to Mays.

You can reach Eric Mayne at (313) 222-2443 or emayne@detnews.com.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Volvo prepping 300HP Boxster fighter

Hot Volvo Blows Cover - - By Dan Strong - - Autoexpress

The roof is definitely coming off at Volvo. Not only is the Swedish company set to unveil its C50 convertible later this year, but it also has Porsche in its sights with a top-secret Boxster rival that will arrive in showrooms in 2005.

Auto Express has exclusive details of the hot newcomer, which will make its public debut only four months after the eagerly anticipated compact cabriolet. The latter car will be the Swedish star of this autumn's Paris Motor Show.

The C50 - which Volvo says will be designed and produced by Italian styling house Pininfarina - is based on Ford's Focus C1 platform and features front-wheel drive and an electric folding roof.

Priced below £20,000, the four-seat model will rival newcomers such as the drop-top Renault Mégane and Peugeot 307 CC, and will complete the firm's small car line-up, following the launch of the S40 and V50. The new roadster, however, is tipped to be an all-out two-seat driver's machine, priced from £30,000 and expected to produce 300bhp from a turbocharged 2.5-litre engine. It will also be the first rear-wheel-drive Volvo since the Eighties. Although the firm is staying tight-lipped about the project, the convertible could make its debut at 2005's Detroit Motor Show, serving as a flagship for the fledgling R performance brand.

The car was revealed to top brass in Spain earlier this month alongside a finished C50 prototype. Its aggressive look, penned by a Pininfarina team led by Volvo design chief Peter Horbury, is said to herald a new styling direction for the company. However, the bold shoulder line and radiator grille of the V70, S60 and recently introduced S40 and V50 remains.

Meanwhile, Volvo is recalling 10,000 cars due to a problem with steering ball joints which could affect handling on S60, V70 and S80 models built during 2003. The firm is contacting owners.

Source: Autoexpress
Old 02-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Now we're talking... Go Ford!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see some pics. I love the old C70 convertible.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I also like the fact that when we see this thing we'll know where Volvo is going with their design next. Two birds with one stone...
Old 02-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Wheel Drive?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jts1207
Front Wheel Drive?
RWD
Old 02-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Old 03-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 03-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Rendering from channel4.com
Old 03-13-2004, 03:01 PM

I like where VOlvo is going. Though their S60R has not caught on as well as they would have liked. I think they are gonna be alright.

They are making Saab look like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, right now.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:16 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Volvo > Saab on any day.

i too like where volvo is going, theyve got some nice things coming out. looks like ford can do well with almost every other brand of theirs other than their own.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Volvo prepping 300HP Boxster fighter

Originally posted by gavriil
The new roadster, however, is tipped to be an all-out two-seat driver's machine, priced from £30,000 and expected to produce 300bhp from a turbocharged 2.5-litre engine. [/B]
BFD! You can get this engine today in any S60R/V70R that is currently collecting dust at your local Volvo dealership. And, if you're really lucky, you won't get one that ceases working after you get more than 100 miles from the dealers lot. Volve needs to correct waaaaaay too many problems with the current S60R/V70R's before these vehicles - or anything that purports to take the 'R' halo to the next appreciable level - become the saviour of the marquee. Oh, by the way .... expect to see a whole lot of P1800 in the body style.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

The cars are getting better, but the designs are getting worse.

Old 03-14-2004, 04:02 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ classic design
Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 PM
AKA MaxGeek

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I love the C70 design. Atleast the boxster fighter will be RWD.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro

Volvo concept designed by women only

It runs on estrogen

I hear it runs great, except for 7 days a month, when the engine indicator lights tell you everything is 'fine' even though it is leaking oil by the quart.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Volvo concept designed by women only

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
It runs on estrogen

I hear it runs great, except for 7 days a month, when the engine indicator lights tell you everything is 'fine' even though it is leaking oil by the quart.

Apparently it also does laundry, dishes and Vacums.

j/k ladies.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Oh good... that Metro Acura duo and crap has not made it to this thread.

I saw that concept in Geneva and it seems to be making the rounds but not getting much traction. I mean come on, what woman would want gull doors? Let the women modify the C70 and be done with it.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro

Remember the Simpsons episode where Homer got to design a car? Sometimes what might be a fun feature to design into a car might not actually be something you would want in a car you drove every day.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by biker
...what woman would want gull doors?
Seriously, how are you supposed to close those things? How are you supposed to be able to open them when you are door to door with cars at the mall?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:01 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

What a joke.

The vehicle doesn't have a hood -- the whole front end lift ups for easy access by a mechanic, since the designers didn't envision doing much engine work themselves.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Teh ?

If women were sensible, they would just not drive!!!
What are women doing designing cars?!?! They should be in my kitchen gettin' my dinner ready!!!

Ugh, so many feminine jokes... must... not... tell.

Joking, of course.

The gull wings... yea, women always prefer gull wings. I like the parallel parking assist, that is definitely for the female driver.

Junkster, whose not sexist whatsoever... unless when he's watching sports... or watching TV in general... and when he's reading his Playboy... Hell, he can't lie, he's sexist.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No hood? That's pathetic. Sometimes I think Maytag should start building cars.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hot news on the next Volvo convertible - - - Source: Autospies

This message came to us today straight from Volvo headquarters...

Despite what several magazines and newspapers have reported recently, the upcoming all-new Volvo convertible will not be called the C50. The new car will retain the C70 nomenclature that began when the first convertible was launched in 1998. A few publications have even gone so far as to offer some highly inaccurate "artist renderings" of the new car and, while no official photos have been released for the premium drop-top, you can bet that - just like original - the new C70 will be drop-dead gorgeous.

We can't wait!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Great looking car... and RWD. Clean design; Volvo's kicking some ass. I wish they'd develop a car bigger than the S80.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Swede Designs - - By Wim Oude Weernink | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE - - Source: Autoweek

Volvo’s future designs will be less restrained, says Steve Mattin, the former Mercedes-Benz designer who was named design director of the Swedish carmaker last May.

“Volvo design is still a bit restrained,” he said in an interview. “It still can be developed and become more expressive.”

Today’s Volvo design was initiated during the 1990s under Peter Horbury and Jose Diaz de la Vega, taking form with the S80. A vertical front end, soft nose, bold shoulder section and unique tail light graphics are typical Volvo design features of models designed since then, such as the S40 or S50.

“These details make Volvos identifiable – they represent a strong DNA of the brand,” said Mattin. “But I can still bring some new ones in.”

Getting bolder
He did not discuss in detail how he will make Volvo design bolder.

“I will first ask myself what to keep, what to change and what is relevant about Volvo design,” he said.

Mattin won’t change Volvo design overnight. “That was not the brief I set myself.”

Except for some color and trim aspects, Mattin did not contribute to the Volvo C30 lower-medium hatchback model that debuted as a concept at the Detroit auto show last month, .

“That was my only input,” he said. Simon Lamarr was responsible for the C30 exterior design.

Like all designers, Mattin has to find solutions for legislative constraints.

“Regulations are not always logical. In particular pedestrian protection legislation is not designer-friendly,” he said.
Waiting for the XC50
Volvo’s new design direction will gradually become more apparent although Mattin could not say on which models. Volvo sources say that his influence will be seen more in the proposed XC50 lower-medium SUV, which Volvo wants to build.

Mattin did not want to comment on that. But he said that communicating his design philosophy through future concept cars is obvious.

“Doing a show car will have a major impact on your design direction,” he said.

Mattin believes the biggest opportunities for the auto industry are in interior design.

“If you can separate black boxes from electric interfaces you can create better packaging for the interior,” he said. “But also repositioning propulsion systems to the wheels has enormous potential. That will come.”
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
another stupid move by ford.

The problem with Ford/Volvo oversea (especially in Asia), is that the design style debuted on the S80 is direction that pretty much all Asian hated.

Volvo went from square box to a oriental style Casket (or tombstone) under Horbury. Sales has tanked in Asia and Volvo brand is now an after thought.

So Ford is going to appoint Horbury for entire ford group? Good luck. I guess Ford will begin to lose the little momentum they have when more ford shows up with casket rear.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Post Volvo to drop all "R" models

This is unfortunate...The S60R as an example was cool in my books.

From Leftlanenews...

Volvo will stop selling R-badged performance cars after the last 2007 models are sold, the company has stated. "There was a lot of passion from our owners," executive vice president of sales Doug Speck told Automotive News. "But the investment to make for that side of business, for the return we get, just wasn't good enough."

Speck called the move "a hard decision," but CEO Fredrik Arp made it clear Volvo would still sell performance models, like the C30 T5 and S80 V8.

Arp said the company was working on "the next phase" of performance at Volvo, but there won't be anything immediate.

Volvo's last "R" models were the 300 hp S60R and V70R, which were introduced in 2000. Volvo already stated it would not build an "R" version of the new S80-based V70. Volvo's first "R" car was the 850 R in the mid-1990s.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
The hair says it all

Thats right, focus on those v6 s80's that no one wants lol
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Python2121
Thats right, focus on those v6 s80's that no one wants lol

Um... I'm sure they will sell a hell of a lot more V6 equipped S80s than they ever sold S60Rs and V70Rs combined.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

aw man! this sucks. i really really liked the s60r and was hoping for an s40r.

but this makes sense....they're not selling at all.

i went to a volvo dealership a few months ago to test drive an s60r. i was not offered to drive an all-new 2007 model nor a 2006. but an all-new 2005, which the salesman said i'd get a really good deal.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

I'd rock a V70R
Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They should still offer that C30 with AWD/T5 motor, and call it whatever they want.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Um... I'm sure they will sell a hell of a lot more V6 equipped S80s than they ever sold S60Rs and V70Rs combined.
True, but I am still right, evidence is in your 2nd post.

Last edited by Python2121; 04-09-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
do/did they have a C70R? the C70's are nice
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

No
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Maybe if Volvo actually put some effort into their products and R technology. The S60R/V70R are ok, but nothing to write home about in the performance department. They turn like a mac truck and never really changed for the better since 04 (still 300hp).

Instead now we get a FWD C70 vert with a mouse engine, which sells well at the moment.

What would be nice is an AWD C70R vert 6spd with 350hp-370hp, but that would be $$$$. A regular C70 can be optioned to almost $50k.

Problem is with Volvo, is that they are much more expensive overseas. They are cheaper in the U.S. (would you believe) and the Volvo perception is not up to BMW or Audi standards.

Obviously for what Volvo would have to charge for new competitive R products...they feel people would sooner go to BMW and Audi. Which they have been doing, I did back in 2004.

Ordered an S60R, then got an M3.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Volvo is an old man's car. Volvo is a big boxy tank, solid and safe. I know it's been many years, but I still can't shake these pictures off my head.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Arp said the company was working on "the next phase" of performance at Volvo, but there won't be anything immediate.
In a VERY related story, F23A4's future visit to a Volvo showroon also 'won't be anything immediate.'

Quick Reply: Volvo: Development and Technology News