Very Happy TL-S Owner, but the Lexus IS300...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Very Happy TL-S Owner, but the Lexus IS300...

Just wanted to state that I am a very happy TL-S owner, but I must say that I was very impressed with the Lexus IS300. Now, before you flame me, let me state that I'm being totally honest, and am not biased in any way what so ever.
Basically, I thoroughly test drove the BMW 330 (sports suspension), Acura TL-S, and the Lexus IS300. I immediately ruled out the 330i due to its' expensive price and less "bank for the buck", when compared to the TL-S and IS300. However, it was a close race between the TL-S and IS300, and major deciding factors for me was the lack of rear leg room and Navi options for the IS300. Besides that, it was difficult for me to decide between the TL-S and IS300. I'll reconsider that IS300 next year, when it comes available with Navi, and probably a slight interior and exterior redesign. Any comments are appreciated. Please note, I am being totally honest in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by AnthonyG:
Just wanted to state that I am a very happy TL-S owner, but I must say that I was very impressed with the Lexus IS300. Now, before you flame me, let me state that I'm being totally honest, and am not biased in any way what so ever.
Basically, I thoroughly test drove the BMW 330 (sports suspension), Acura TL-S, and the Lexus IS300. I immediately ruled out the 330i due to its' expensive price and less "bank for the buck", when compared to the TL-S and IS300. However, it was a close race between the TL-S and IS300, and major deciding factors for me was the lack of rear leg room and Navi options for the IS300. Besides that, it was difficult for me to decide between the TL-S and IS300. I'll reconsider that IS300 next year, when it comes available with Navi, and probably a slight interior and exterior redesign. Any comments are appreciated. Please note, I am being totally honest in my opinion.

.... and I do not give a rats ass about it!
Old 04-01-2001, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting... My candidates were a Volvo S60 T5 in custom colors ordered through the European Delivery Program or a C32 AMG (the TL-S is replacing a C36). I liked the IS300 until I saw it in person. The interior screams Toyota - waaaay too much plastic for the category. It's also too small to comfortably carry four people which I do frequently. I really wanted the C32 but, at the end of the day, it's just not practical for the pot holes of NY/NJ (neither was the C36 for that matter). The Volvo was cool and would have had 18" factory rims and Pilot tires, but in the end the TL-S was the most livable car and without question the best value.
Old 04-01-2001, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Raptor, as I am very grateful that we live in a capitalist society, as such, your comments are appreciated, and I have no ill feelings towards you. BarryH, I also test drove both the Volvo S60 and S60 T5 and was not impressed by either of them. To me, the best features of the cars where their very comfortable leather seats. Besides that, I was very satisified with my decision to stick with the TL-S. Anyway, I appreciate your comments as well.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:58 PM
MCD
Instructor

I remember when I test-drove the IS300 last year my major complaints were the lack of a center armrest (unlike the nice one in the TL) and the tacky 'dust-collector' where the navigation unit is supposed to be (like in the Altezza).

I too, felt it didn't live up to its Lexus nameplate, interior-wise. But to each his own.

------------------
Coming Soon:
2002 Acura TL-S w/ Navi
Aegean Blue
Underbody kit
Spoiler
Old 04-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Advanced

In my opinion it came down to the interior space and trunk room.
Performance wise, the IS300 has a slight edge overall(not straightline speed though).
I couldn't stand the small backseat, trunk and cockpit on the IS300.
For a single guy with some bucks, it would be a fun car.
It does look a lot like the Civic though.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

The IS300 is a great performance car. However it's just too small. It would be nice if it's dimension is like the ES.
Old 04-02-2001, 01:38 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

the IS300 is a good looking car externally but I didn't like the chronograph look of the speedo and the tranny, tight back seat (limited leg room) but then again rear wheel drive configuration which is a plus for a true driver enthusiast.....
the S-60 good looking car also slightly bigger than the IS-300, but hated the Daytime Running Lights.....and a lot of extras(options)which increases the price of the car........and F.W.D.
the TL-S has nice interior look (easy to read gauges) and sporty tranny (we got sportshift) wider room in the back seat except it's a F.W.D. but so far I like my car, no complaints yet......
Old 04-02-2001, 02:48 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the IS300 is a really cool car. And when I see one on the road I do want to take a look. It's a Lexus! Personally, I don't like the tailights, but they do go with that car pretty well. And at night they do look nice because they are brighter than the ricer Altezzas.

The IS300 is being copied by the civics, not the other way around. The same way some of the accord owners try to copy our TLs.

I don't know if you should really compare the IS300 to the TL. The same class that the TL is in is the ES300, the IS is more targeted for younger owners. I love the TL-S but I think the target for both cars is different. Maybe that's why some people don't like the other car.

I got my TL because it was going to become a family sedan soon. But if I wasn't planning on getting married soon, the IS300 would have been more of a choice for me.

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 04-02-2001, 08:00 AM

I drove the IS300. I really liked it.
I'm 6'1" 200lbs and didn't really fit in it
though.
The salesman sat right next to me and said that I should buy the Acura. I was floored.

It does look like a souped up civic too. The civic came out before the IS300 so unfortunately, Lexus has copied a car that is in a totally different class and is far less expensive. Not a brilliant marketing move if you ask me.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. Nice car (GREAT driving dynamics), but the interior is much cheaper than I'd expect in a $30k+ car. It's on the small side, too, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 04-02-2001, 09:19 AM

Raptor is an a$$hole

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by pjonkheer on April 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-02-2001, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Ah... see you live in Texas, that's why! My friend's older sister bought an IS300... definitely not fun in the winter. It got stuck around a block from their home and my friend had to help them two push it back home and into the driveway. They were complaining about it all week!

When you think about how much it costs overall (with the options and what not) the car is extremely close to $40k. I think in the TL-S, it'd be hard to break $35k. My friend was trying to convince his sister to get an S4 for the money instead... but no luck.

Personally, I love the chronograph gauges, the rear lights and that's about it! Everything else is way too cheap looking for a Lexus. And the price you pay is definitely not worth it.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:41 PM
Instructor

If the IS300 had a 6 speed manual, I'd be there in a sec! Unless of course, the TL-S has one first!
Old 04-02-2001, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

The TL-S just has a more moddest, respectful, handsome look to it. That and it truely is a 4 door sedan with room.

I consider the IS300 more competition to an Accord simply due to it's styling and size. A couple years ago I would have gone IS300.

BTW, the IS300 is where those taillights originated from. The US was just unfortunate enough to be the last to get the car.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

How can you be complaining the plastic in IS300?

Compare to the recycled plastic that BMW/Mercedez is using for their 01 model, the Toyota plastic is much better in quality.

PS. I do not recall that C/3 has shoratge of plastic either.

P.S. My 530i has by far the cheapest platic console I have even seen in a car.

------------------
2000-Laguna Gree TL
2001-Solar Yellow IS300
2001-Titanium Silver 530i
Old 04-02-2001, 09:47 PM
Racer

Wink

The IS300 is a nice car for shorter people; no offense. I'm 6.1 and the 3.2TL is about as tight as I want it; the car I mean : - )
Old 04-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Comparing Mercedes to Lexus in fit/finish:

We have a '99 E320 4-matic and I just got rid of a '94 ES300 to buy the TL-S. I've driven many '00 and '01 ES300 loaners while my '94 was being serviced and I must say that Mercedes "plastic" and lexus "plastic" is about the same in quality. Both are rock solid, and of the highest craftsmanship. The only place to look for better quality is a hand-built Ferrari or Bentley! To the owner of the comment on "Mercedes recycled plastic in the '01 models.." Get real -- it's a Benz, and that phrase "it's a Benz" doesn't connote pure luxury without a history of quality craftsmanship.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 04-03-2001, 02:49 AM
Racer

I think people who buy the IS300 is a yuppie. People just buy it for the symbol just like the C-class.

Mr.T
Old 04-03-2001, 04:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Talking

My wife currently drives a '01 C320. I currently drives a '01 530i (picture was posted here).

As an owner of TL(00), IS(01, sold), RX300 (01), C320(01), and 530i(01), I can state the truth.

Since this model year, BMW and Mercedes has switched to recyle plastic for the dash board.

Please go down to your local dealership and rub your face against the dash board, you will notice how rough and cheap the BMW/Mercedes dash board really is.

I would hope that before posing comment that you could do some research.

------------------
2000-Laguna Gree TL
2001-Solar Yellow IS300
2001-Titanium Silver 530i
Old 04-03-2001, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Raptor:

.... and I do not give a rats ass about it!
Raptor we don't appricate posts like that here, if you don't have something constructive to add to a topic, don't post to it..

Old 04-03-2001, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

My wife currently drives a '01 C320. I currently drives a '01 530i (picture was posted here).

As an owner of TL(00), IS(01, sold), RX300 (01), C320(01), and 530i(01), I can state the truth.

Since this model year, BMW and Mercedes has switched to recyle plastic for the dash board.

Please go down to your local dealership and rub your face against the dash board, you will notice how rough and cheap the BMW/Mercedes dash board really is.

I would hope that before posing comment that you could do some research.

-------------------------------
Chia,

I was just recently at the Benz dealership getting my 30K tune-up, and before leaving the dealership in the loaner ML320, which I agree is of LESS quality than the E, S series, I perchanced to sit in an E430, an S-Class, and a CLK320 or 430, can't remember. Um, what kind of research format to you want, MLA style, one-inch margins, works cited page??? WTF is your problem dude, the quality is just fine. I'm not gunna "rub my face in the dash" .. is that your lame way of inspecting a vehicle before purchasing it? Sorry, I think they're solid. You've obviously developed some pent-up anger over the years -- relax and enjoy your vehicles, this ain't a competition.

<smile>

And please use some prepositions in YOUR research: "I would hope that before posing (a) comment <---> you could do some research." It only makes your crap more credible.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by PeterUbers on April 03, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by PeterUbers on April 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I am just stating the truth about both of my '01 german made car.

Both are suffering from poor plastic materials in the dash.

I will post a picture of the new dash. Compared to '00 models (5 series as example). The plastic on the older model are much more smoother and is much more reflective of sun.

My dealer was one who told me that for environmental concerns, BMW/MB did swich their console for '01 to recyle plastic, because when I picked up the car, my first comment was the poor quality of materials used inside.

compare to the TL, IS, RX, the plastic trims in BMW/MB are just not made of high quality material which I would have prefered.

Old 04-03-2001, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Although i don't think TL-S is the best, I sure think its way better than 330 and IS300!
Old 04-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Question

Price aside, how was the drive with 330i vs TLS? Cornering, suspension...

"I thoroughly test drove the BMW 330 (sports suspension)"
Old 04-03-2001, 10:46 PM
Racer

IS300=LESS HP, LESS TORQUE, BETTER HANDLING, REAR WHELL DRIVE(POSITIVE).

TYPE S=MORE HP, MORE TORQUE, MORE SPACIOUS, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE(NEGATIVE).

TO ME I CARE MORE ABOUT POWER AND SPACE SO I WOULD GET A TYPE S.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:02 AM
Rx Master

yeh i was lookin into getin the is300, but after drvinin in it and sittin in teh back, i was soo unimpressed with it, i was soo happy that i didnt wait till july and get the is300 over the cl-s. sopmetimes i think i wanted a 4 door once again, i had 2 maximas before but when i was in the dealerhip of acura, my cl-s in silver was in the freont, and on the side was a white tl loaded to the brim and with the body kit, and navi system. it took me a few minutes to detrmine that i wanted to go to 2 doors and not get a 4 door anymore. i had bought, well leased that silver cl-s that was in the showroom and after they put a spoiler on it, i took ownershiop of the phattest car i have ever owned. Tl-s is such a better car then the is300, its no competition in HP and leg room and all other things to compare. if i had to get a car now and my choices where the bmw330, is300, tl-s and well, gs300/430, if i could afford the gs430, id get that, but if not, ill be getttin the tl-s after my lease of cl-s is up.
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi , spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786

Old 04-04-2001, 06:10 AM

x
Old 04-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Firebird_EOU, during my test drive of the 330i (sports suspension) and the TL-S, I noticed that the suspension on the 330i was somewhat tighter and a little rougher than the TL-S. That is, it felt like I was driving in my Prelude, but with just a little more comfort, in regards to the suspension. The handling on the 330i was just a little better, especially when I really pushed the 330i through some turns. The TL-S has a great smooth suspension, but maybe its the difference between front and rear-wheel drive, and/or the quality of OEM tires that made me feel that the 330i seem to hug the road through turns and etc., just a little better than the TL-S.

However, as I stated at the beginning of this topic, it was a very easy decision for me to go with the TL-S, and not just due to the price difference between the two vehicles.
Old 04-04-2001, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Firebird_EOU, during my test drive of the 330i (sports suspension) and the TL-S, I noticed that the suspension on the 330i was somewhat tighter and a little rougher than the TL-S. That is, it felt like I was driving in my Prelude, but with just a little more comfort, in regards to the suspension. The handling on the 330i was just a little better, especially when I really pushed the 330i through some turns. The TL-S has a great smooth suspension, but maybe its the difference between front and rear-wheel drive, and/or the quality of OEM tires that made me feel that the 330i seem to hug the road through turns and etc., just a little better than the TL-S.

However, as I stated at the beginning of this topic, it was a very easy decision for me to go with the TL-S, and not just due to the price difference between the two vehicles.

I thought the 3 series BMW was more willing to take curves. In fact, I actually looked forward to taking curves with the BMW. The 330 was more exciting to drive. The TLS seems heavy and less nimble especially around sharp turns. But as a whole, I thought the TLS was a better value.
Old 04-04-2001, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

I agree -- the TL-S is too heavy in turns and truly doesn't really compare to the handling of an IS300 or a Sportsuspension 330Ci. It's hard to target two markets w/ the TL Type S -- the near-entry level lux. market AND the luxury sports performance market -- when you figure most people looking at the '02 TL will more than likely opt for the slightly more expensive TL Type S. Further, I think there is a good 50/50 split between people who prefer straightline speed over performance (carving canyons and whatnot) and v.v.