vehicle speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vehicle speed sensor?

where is the vehicle speed sensor located and wheres the easiest place i can tap into it for a signal?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't we have speed sensors behind our wheels so VSA knows when to kick in?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Drifting

does anyone knoe what wire i could tap for the speed sensor....i need it to install my navigation
Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by njtls
does anyone knoe what wire i could tap for the speed sensor....i need it to install my navigation
Why does your navigation need this? Its suppose to use GPS.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Nav's need it so they can tell when the car is moving, but don't have a signal (tunnels, near tall buildings, etc...) But, I have no clue where the wire is...
Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by orcaatk
Some Nav's need it so they can tell when the car is moving, but don't have a signal (tunnels, near tall buildings, etc...) But, I have no clue where the wire is...
exactly...

i think i found it tho....located in hte crusie control harness....does that make sense?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
makes good sense to me. let us know if it works out for ya. was it tough to fit the navi into your car? im assuming you didnt have one before, or did you upgrade to a better one?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Drifting

lol...i'll let you know if i tapped the wrong wire and it sends the picture of my car shooting across the screen at 200mph....

i picked up the alpine navi..i didnt have navi before....the hardest part to me is apparently finding the right wire to tap and splicingn the two wires together...hiding the wires is easy..al the trim peices pop right off (some with screws)...and i mounted the unit itself on top of my sub box....i'll take pics when im done...overall it isnt that hard...im jsut doing it in a tight garage thats just around 32 degrees using a flashlight for light...so that adds allittle difficulty to it
Old 01-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: vehicle speed sensor?

where is the vehicle speed sensor located and wheres the easiest place i can tap into it for a signal?
The factory navigation system uses the countershaft speed sensor which I believe is located on the transmission housing near the top. The sensor has 3 wires (YEL/RED, BLU, and GRN) going to it.

The speed sensor sends a pulsing signal depending the speed of the vehicle. When the car is stopped the signal reads 0 Volts.

The countershaft speed sensor is connected to the powertrain control module (PCM) which is located in the area behind the coin holder/radio.

The wire which contains the pulsing signal comes from terminal 2 (BLU wire) of the countershaft speed sensor and goes to terminal D10 on the PCM module.

Since I don't have a navagation system, I cannot comment on the best place to tap in.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Drifting

ahh crap...thanx..that was exactly what i was looking for..except i didnt find it and i already tapped a different wire...do you think thtas the same pulse that goes to the cruis control module?..i taped a blue/white wire on the crusi control harness......

looking throught my manual....the blue wire which conects to terminal 10 of conector d..as you said...their is also a output on conector A, terminal 9 that is lue and white..and according to the manual says "sends vehicle speed sensor signal"....can you confirm if this is the same un altered siignal?....also...does this wire run to the srusie control module...im horrible at readin the manual as you can see...thanx for the help
Old 01-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Instructor

ahh crap...thanx..that was exactly what i was looking for..except i didnt find it and i already tapped a different wire...do you think thtas the same pulse that goes to the cruis control module?..i taped a blue/white wire on the crusi control harness......

looking throught my manual....the blue wire which conects to terminal 10 of conector d..as you said...their is also a output on conector A, terminal 9 that is lue and white..and according to the manual says "sends vehicle speed sensor signal"....can you confirm if this is the same un altered siignal?....also...does this wire run to the srusie control module...im horrible at readin the manual as you can see...thanx for the help
Old 01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

I stand corrected. The signal you require is the BLU/WHT wire going from terminal A9 from the PCM to terminal 12 of the cruise control unit.

The Helms manual I have covers model 99 thru 03 and I was confused because the 99 models uses the counter shaft speed sensor instead of the PCM for the pulse signal.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Southern
I stand corrected. The signal you require is the BLU/WHT wire going from terminal A9 from the PCM to terminal 12 of the cruise control unit.

The Helms manual I have covers model 99 thru 03 and I was confused because the 99 models uses the counter shaft speed sensor instead of the PCM for the pulse signal.

Sorry for any confusion.
thanx for the clarification..but i beleive you were correct too...i could have tapped either one i beleive...thanx
Old 01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Welcome to the Authorized Alpine Dealer VSS Database. Please select your vehicle from the list below. If your vehicle is not included in this list, please contact Alpine Technical Support at 1-800-TECH-101 (M-F 7:00AM to 5:00PM PST) for assistance.

Make: Acura
Model: 3.2TL
Year: 2003
Pulse Type: Digital
Color/Location: Blue/White - Pin 2 of 14 pin connector at the IP

Note: This Information is furnished by Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. to it? authorized dealers for their exclusive use as required for the installation of Alpine Navigation Systems. The information provided should only be used as a reference. Test all wires to ensure proper operation as described above. Failure to do so may result in undesired vehicle operation and/or possible vehicle failure.