Used WD-40 for not shifting out of park and no brake lights!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used WD-40 for not shifting out of park and no brake lights!

I have a 2001 with over 174k miles - went into the grocery store this afternoon before going home to grab milk and when I came back, the car wouldn't shift out of park. Used a screwdriver for the switch to shift out of park and got home. Noticed at home that my brake lights don't work either!

After doing some forum searches and knowing that my brake lights didn't work, that means my brake light switch was stuck or wasn't working. I got underneath the dashboard and loosened up the small switch with my hand (where it connects to the brake pedal) and sprayed some WD-40 there also, and everything is working now.

Anyone else have this happened to them? Should the WD-40 and cleaning the switch work or do I need a new brake release switch? Would humid, warm weather make the switch sticky and stuck? (It's in the 80's and humid already in Raleigh, NC).
Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 562 Likes on 358 Posts
I also live in Raleigh, NC, but so far mine has been fine. Just make sure it's fixed, otherwise that could be really dangerous.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
It's happened to my friend in his older accord, I've heard issues of it happening on other honda's too. Just go buy a new switch, it isn't too hard to install
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Replace the switch... Its inexpensive and incredibly easy to replace.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
happened to me and it was the fuse...i accidentally shorted out my tail lights...which cause the shifter not to move out of park. I almost broke the shifter, trying to get out of park sitting at a gas station (not knowing my tail lights were out)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here with a question. So, if your brake lights are out, for whatever reason, you cannot shift out of park? Is there some sort of relay that must be powered at the shifter in order to allow the shifter to move? I'm just trying to understand so if this ever comes up I'll hopefully remember. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by bellssn690
Newbie here with a question. So, if your brake lights are out, for whatever reason, you cannot shift out of park? Is there some sort of relay that must be powered at the shifter in order to allow the shifter to move? I'm just trying to understand so if this ever comes up I'll hopefully remember. Thanks.
No, OP's problem was due to the brake switch that's depressed when you step on the brake pedal. (Remember you have to press on brake pedal to release shifter). If the switch is broken, you won't be able to shift AND your lights won't activate.

they're mutually exclusive but not causal of one another.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
bell- have a look at your owner book= it has details on exactly what to do IF the shifter refuses to come out of Park

There is an over-ride by putting the KEY (or screwdriver) into the slot to right of shifter (small cover over it)
While pressing Down, shift into N and use key to start car

Each time it goes in Park, it will stay there requiring manual override --until you resolve the problem
FREE owner book download from acura Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits

IF there is a brake LAMP warning on dash- a Brake Light is inop, all it takes is 1 bad and the system goes into default
Design is to keep you from driving with NO brake lights!!

WD will clean away crud BUT leaves behind a lube that attracts more crud
Use CRC electrical contact spray cleaner,
or better to replace switch NOW, before you suddenly have no brake lights and get plowed into
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
No, OP's problem was due to the brake switch that's depressed when you step on the brake pedal. (Remember you have to press on brake pedal to release shifter). If the switch is broken, you won't be able to shift AND your lights won't activate.

they're mutually exclusive but not causal of one another.
Thanks! That makes sense but I wasn't sure if there was another "interlock" besides the brake switch. I've just bought the car and am still researching it so I appreciate the help!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
bell- have a look at your owner book= it has details on exactly what to do IF the shifter refuses to come out of Park

There is an over-ride by putting the KEY (or screwdriver) into the slot to right of shifter (small cover over it)
While pressing Down, shift into N and use key to start car

Each time it goes in Park, it will stay there requiring manual override --until you resolve the problem
FREE owner book download from acura Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits

IF there is a brake LAMP warning on dash- a Brake Light is inop, all it takes is 1 bad and the system goes into default
Design is to keep you from driving with NO brake lights!!

WD will clean away crud BUT leaves behind a lube that attracts more crud
Use CRC electrical contact spray cleaner,
or better to replace switch NOW, before you suddenly have no brake lights and get plowed into
Thank you! As I said earlier, I'm still researching about the car since I've only just bought it. It seems to be in really good shape mechanically as well as the interior (black leather). It has a salvage title due to some hail damage but it really isn't all that bad and I could care less about it. I think I got a good deal on it and I like to work on my vehicles as much as I possibly can myself. Also, this model is the best looking to me (the TL).
Again, thanks for any and all help!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

There is a Neutral Safety Switch that wont allow the starter to engage if the trans in NOT in P or N
Otherwise the starter would tear up the ring it operates on,,like when you try to start the car and its already running....

I cant see the outside of the car from where I sit, is it dirty and damaged? oh well
It starts every time and handles very well for a 4 door cruising car

If you cant get that owner book download- someone here can hook you up
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

2 cans of seafoam will make the car run way better
1 can in gas tank at just under half = 8 gallons
after another tank or two, add 1 can to half tank
Done!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Racer

so my dad call me today that his car won't shift, it stuck on Park. The car starts but won't shift. I did little research on the forum and found some helpful information. When I press the brake, lights doesn't turn on, but the brake lights works fine after override the shifter. and the car drives like normal. anyone had this issue before?

How can you check if the neutral switch is working properly?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

inspect the switch at the brake pedal, they are cheap, just buy one - install and be done with it.
The safety system that prevents shifting out of PARK when brake lights are non-operational is to save your life.

Driving with no brake lights...bad....Not knowing it...deadly!!!

WD is ok but leaves a residue. CRC electrical contact cleaner spray is best for the job

To test Neutral safety switch- which prevents STARTING IN GEAR, ( a motion gear)
Move the shifter to R or D and try to start the engine
It wont engage the starter = system working! never hear of those going out, brake switch--all the time

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-30-2015 at 09:38 PM.