UR Crank Pulley installed....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Actually in the instructions Unorthodox Racing says to wait for about 5 days for the ECU to adjust for the new crank pulley in order to notice the gains. If anyone is interested in purchasing this crank pulley check my signature for a link to a Special Pricing Event.

Josh
Excelerate LLC

Hey Josh...I'm new to the "pulley-scene" so please bear with me. My question is when installing the crank pulley, would it be more economical to change it at the same time I change my timing belt?

Reason being is that if the timing belt directly affects the crank pulley, wouldn't it make sense to do them both at once to save $$$ on labor? Just like changing springs & shocks is actually cheaper than swapping springs alone?

I'd appreciate if someone can clue me in since my 100k mile tune up is around the corner.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edgalang
Hey Josh...I'm new to the "pulley-scene" so please bear with me. My question is when installing the crank pulley, would it be more economical to change it at the same time I change my timing belt?

Reason being is that if the timing belt directly affects the crank pulley, wouldn't it make sense to do them both at once to save $$$ on labor? Just like changing springs & shocks is actually cheaper than swapping springs alone?

I'd appreciate if someone can clue me in since my 100k mile tune up is around the corner.
Yes, you would save on labor, if you are due for a timing belt replacement. Get them both done and stick with the recomended Gates belts for the pulley. You are going to love the performance gains and quicker rev improvement. Get your transmission flush while you at it.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Yes, you would save on labor, if you are due for a timing belt replacement. Get them both done and stick with the recomended Gates belts for the pulley. You are going to love the performance gains and quicker rev improvement. Get your transmission flush while you at it.

Well the plan is to have a new tranny around 95k miles, so no need of a tranny flush. As for the "Gates belts"...I take it that's NOT the OEM belt, but the belt that comes with the UR crank pulley?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro

Well the plan is to have a new tranny around 95k miles, so no need of a tranny flush. As for the "Gates belts"...I take it that's NOT the OEM belt, but the belt that comes with the UR crank pulley?
It doesn't come with it, but it's what UR recomends, and it works! I have not squeeking problems. I think I paid 14.00 and 8.00 accordingly. You can get it at your local pep boys or autozone or online, your choice. I changed both belts.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

Since you are so close to the timing belt change you should definitely consider doing the timing belt now. They still will have to do the same amount of work, but at least you might get the crank pulley installed for free since they will be down there.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro

I just wanted to update the board memeber that to date, I have no issues with my UR Crank Pulley. My belts squeek sometimes, but otherwise, everything is ok.

I would like to hear from those members with longer install time, and reporting no problems with the crank pulley.

1. El pana/TL32: UR Crank pulley installed 10/20/2004 no problems to date.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
UR is a good pulley. You shouldnt run into problems.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only changed 1 belt when I installed my UR crank pulley... was I supposed to change 2? My power steering gets weird in cold weather, but fixes itself after the car warms up.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Racer

EL pana/TL32, you say that your belts squeak sometimes. Did they do this before the UR pulley install?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I just wanted to update the board memeber that to date, I have no issues with my UR Crank Pulley. My belts squeek sometimes, but otherwise, everything is ok.

I would like to hear from those members with longer install time, and reporting no problems with the crank pulley.

1. El pana/TL32: UR Crank pulley installed 10/20/2004 no problems to date.
I wonder if the squeak that some members complain of is from the belt tension. Looking in the Helms manual, it says that the tension on the belts (different for each belt) should be between to specified values. Has anyone had their belt tension checked after installing the UR pulleys?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Pro

It did not squeak before the install. And yes, I did have the belt tension checked after installing the UR pulleys, and it was ok for a while, and couple weeks after the squeaking came back. Maybe we have to play around with diffrent belts and keep adjusting them?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

It did not squeak before the install. And yes, I did have the belt tension checked after installing the UR pulleys, and it was ok for a while, and couple weeks after the squeaking came back. Maybe we have to play around with diffrent belts and keep adjusting them?
Yeah, sounds like belt tension to me. I will be installing my pulleys this weekend so I will keep that in mind. So the squeak definitely came from installing the pulleys...but not till a couple weeks after. Maybe the belts are stretching out a little...just enough so that the pulley is slipping and not grabbing the belt. And that also makes sense why some people say that it happens only in cold weather and goes away after a couple minutes. Once the belt is warmed up, it would probably have better grip. Don't know...just brainstorming a little here. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Just finished installing the pulleys. I did the Ultra SS set. Install wasn't to bad. The impact wrench definitely makes life a lot easier. I still had problems with the crank pulley though. I ended up putting a breaker bar on there and wedging it up against the frame of the car and gave the key a little tap so it engaged the starter, but did not actually start the car. Worked like a charm. Other than that, everything went very smoothly. The car seems to start easier now and feels more responsive but I don't know that I can really feel a hp gain in the seat of the pants meter. I will be taking it to a dyno soon...that will tell me my gains. This will be the only mod I've done since my last dyno so I am anxious to see how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
reset your ECU and take your car for 15-20mins spirited run hitting v-tec often and WOT often and you will start to feel your car pulling harder and getting into higher rpm's faster. I know my car gets to 5k in a sec. after I stomp on it and pulls very hard.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by snowman81
Just finished installing the pulleys. I did the Ultra SS set. Install wasn't to bad. The impact wrench definitely makes life a lot easier. I still had problems with the crank pulley though. I ended up putting a breaker bar on there and wedging it up against the frame of the car and gave the key a little tap so it engaged the starter, but did not actually start the car. Worked like a charm. Other than that, everything went very smoothly. The car seems to start easier now and feels more responsive but I don't know that I can really feel a hp gain in the seat of the pants meter. I will be taking it to a dyno soon...that will tell me my gains. This will be the only mod I've done since my last dyno so I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Good work on the install Very curious to see the dyno as well Report back to us! Good work and enjoy!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Show me da MONEY

Originally Posted by snowman81
That was a pretty smart way of getting the bolt off, with what and how did you torque it back with though? and what setting? I have had my crank pulley sitting in my closet for months and what it installed but have heard the bolt is a bitch to get off. I can get it installed professionally for about $115 but would rather do it myself if I can, and have the proper tools.
I was actually thinking about trying this, jacking up the car with breaker bar attached to the bolt and the handle against the floor, then slowly letting the car down. I figure the weight of the car would get that bolt off or break the bar.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
No body kit for me...

I would also be inerested in hearing from anyone who has installed the crank pulley themseleves. UR's directions of "follow factory service manual" does not help me much

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by muffaburn
That was a pretty smart way of getting the bolt off, with what and how did you torque it back with though? and what setting? I have had my crank pulley sitting in my closet for months and what it installed but have heard the bolt is a bitch to get off. I can get it installed professionally for about $115 but would rather do it myself if I can, and have the proper tools.
I was actually thinking about trying this, jacking up the car with breaker bar attached to the bolt and the handle against the floor, then slowly letting the car down. I figure the weight of the car would get that bolt off or break the bar.
Thanks...to get it back on, I used an impact wrench. Basically air compressor tools. The nut is supposed to be torqued to 181 lb-ft, so I tightend it with the impact wrench and put the torque wrench on there to make sure that I was at the right torque. That sounds like a good idea but I think all you would end up doing is turning the crankshaft. You need something with a lot of torque. The way that I explained it works well, just make sure you are careful doing it. And if you are going to do it that way, make sure you don't actually start the car. That could cause some damage. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by pgordash
I would also be inerested in hearing from anyone who has installed the crank pulley themseleves. UR's directions of "follow factory service manual" does not help me much

Thanks,
Paul
When I have a couple minutes, I'll post kind of a step by step. Won't be an actual DIY, but I'll go from memory. It will take 2 people to do it and about 2 hours...providing you have the right tools. Like I said, an impact wrench made life a lot easier and is definitely recommended if you have access to one.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by TLsu
Good work on the install Very curious to see the dyno as well Report back to us! Good work and enjoy!
Thanks..and I'll let you know as soon as I dyno it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced

How about the impact of the pulley on fuel consumption. I've heard that you will get better mileage with the pulley? Anyone experience this?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Intermediate

Pulley installed - 1 yr later belts squeaking, blower burned up

Yes, you read that right, my blower motor has burned up and now my belts squeak all the time.

2000 TL
Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by climberbry
Yes, you read that right, my blower motor has burned up and now my belts squeak all the time.

2000 TL
As far as the blower motor goes, it has nothing to do with your pulleys. The blower is an electric motor that doesn't run off of a belt. If it burned out after you installed the pulleys, it was purely coincidence. The squeaking belts may be improper tension on the belts.