UR Crank Pulley installed....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UR Crank Pulley installed....

Got my UR crank pulley installed this weekend at Dynamic Motorsports in Dillsburg, PA. Only cost me a little over $100 w/ the belts. Not bad at all.

You would not believe how freaking heavy the stock pulley is. The guy handed it to me and I thought it could be used for a small boat anchor.

My initial impressions were not that good. I didn't really feel anything. 2 days later, after a couple of hot cycles my opinion totally changed. I guess the computer needed some time to adjust. It really is MUCH more responsive. When I floor it now there is an instant jump up thru the revs, when before there was always a little lag.

I would definitely recommend this mod for those who want a quicker, more responsive feel.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:02 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you should also try resseting the ecu.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Actually in the instructions Unorthodox Racing says to wait for about 5 days for the ECU to adjust for the new crank pulley in order to notice the gains. If anyone is interested in purchasing this crank pulley check my signature for a link to a Special Pricing Event.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 10-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elementz
Got my UR crank pulley installed this weekend at Dynamic Motorsports in Dillsburg, PA. Only cost me a little over $100 w/ the belts. Not bad at all.

You would not believe how freaking heavy the stock pulley is. The guy handed it to me and I thought it could be used for a small boat anchor.

My initial impressions were not that good. I didn't really feel anything. 2 days later, after a couple of hot cycles my opinion totally changed. I guess the computer needed some time to adjust. It really is MUCH more responsive. When I floor it now there is an instant jump up thru the revs, when before there was always a little lag.

I would definitely recommend this mod for those who want a quicker, more responsive feel.
Do you plan on doing a dyno?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro

Well.... I got the UR Crank pulley installed yesterday evening. I've not had a chance to really experience any significant changes. I will wait the five - seven day window that UR recomends. Along with reseting my ECU.

I just want to thank Excelerate for offering such a great price and to @cur@tl for answering some of my final questions, being a fellow 99'er w/ the pulley. I just have to say guys that, I have been thinking about this for the LONGEST time, and finally decided to do it.

I have listed the concerns I had below, of wich, not one was true... the long term effects is yet to be proven.

1. Do I experience any diffrence in vibration of any kind? no!
2. Do I experience any increase in noise (squeeking) coming from the engine bay, accesories, etc? no (use the recomended belts)
3. Do I have any issues with the lights or AC performance? not at all (the AC does not blow as hard, but by no means it's hot or less cold)

The OEM Crank ways 8.5LBS to be exact, it's really heavy in comparison. I've attached a few pics of the OEM crank, you guys have seen the UR pulley before.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Instructor

So you did lose some AC effectiveness?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
1. Do I experience any diffrence in vibration of any kind? no!
2. Do I experience any increase in noise (squeeking) coming from the engine bay, accesories, etc? no (use the recomended belts)
3. Do I have any issues with the lights or AC performance? not at all (the AC does not blow as hard, but by no means it's hot or less cold)
i dont know why your AC wouldnt blow as hard since the fan that blows the air in the car is not driven by the pulley. the blower moter is electrical. at a stop you my be down on a volt or 2 but once moving it should opperate at teh same speed
Old 10-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
i dont know why your AC wouldnt blow as hard since the fan that blows the air in the car is not driven by the pulley. the blower moter is electrical. at a stop you my be down on a volt or 2 but once moving it should opperate at teh same speed
The AC is fine, it appeared to me that it was not blowing as hard (real cold) You know... it's all the threads that I've read regarding this mod, I might be out looking for stuff... so, I will give it some time, and re-post.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

how much did you pay for the crank?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Blown LS6!!

Before the S/C I ran the UR pulley set and loved them...especially the crank pulley. The regular UR pulley slightly underdrives the accessories. The S/C was only pushing about 1-1.5 psi with it on. I went back to the UR site and bought the 12v UR crank pulley which is of stock diameter and gave me back full boost. I highly recommend the pulley to anyone wanting a bit more power. Their site claims 13hp/7tq I believe for a CLS 6-spd.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:41 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I can't wait til I get mine!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Hey all is there a CON to installing the Crank pulley. I hear the PRO stuff, but what about the CONS if any.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 AM
On the way!

I only know of one con - it will make your wallet lighter.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by bello425
Hey all is there a CON to installing the Crank pulley. I hear the PRO stuff, but what about the CONS if any.
no. unless you are running a huge stereo the alternator wont produce enough juice to power it with out changing the pully on the alt
Old 10-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

just bought a pulley on EBAY for $45 , ill let u guys know if it works or makes my car blow up. the seller had really good feedback and i talked to a guy that put one that this seller had for his WRX and said it works great
Old 10-21-2004, 02:03 PM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
just bought a pulley on EBAY for $45 , ill let u guys know if it works or makes my car blow up. the seller had really good feedback and i talked to a guy that put one that this seller had for his WRX and said it works great
Yeah I was looking at those crank pulleys and wondered if it'd work as well as a UR crank.. I mean, as long as it's lighter and has the same shape/design, shouldn't it work just as well? Lemme know how it works out for you!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Racer

The guys at Dynamic Motorsports, where I had mine installed, said that UR is by far the best manufacturer of aftermarket pullies. They said they have seen many other cars where the end of the crankshaft actually sheared off due to poor design quality from others manufacturers.

I would be hesitant to use anything other than UR.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro

The guys at Dynamic Motorsports, where I had mine installed, said that UR is by far the best manufacturer of aftermarket pullies. They said they have seen many other cars where the end of the crankshaft actually sheared off due to poor design quality from others manufacturers.

I would be hesitant to use anything other than UR.
Hey Elementz, do you feel the diffrence now that you have been driving for over 5 days?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

u bought a UR crank pulley for 45.00 dollars?.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:16 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if that crank pulley is not a ur pulley, be careful.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Racer

one thing i noticed in the pic of the stock pulley was the treads on the inside of the pulley , the ur pulleys dont show those in the pics, how do they grip the pulley to spin it or does that piece come out?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 PM
On the way!

I don't think those treads make any difference. Remember, the pulley also has a key to keep it in position (that slot).
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Racer

just called unorthodox, he said for the metal used on the OE one the slots are for heat dissipation and not needed on the aluminum ones
Old 10-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by tpatel
how much did you pay for the crank?
He paid $175 shipped for the UR Crank Pulley. I am running a Special Pricing Event on the UR Pulleys for the Acura CL/TL. Check my signature for the link. Thanks.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 10-22-2004, 01:16 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

im glad you like it
Old 10-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Hey Elementz, do you feel the diffrence now that you have been driving for over 5 days?
Yes definitely! Now when I punch from a stand still it definitely pulls harder. I actually get a pretty substantial torque-steer around 4000 rpms heading into 2nd gear.

Minimal or no torque-steer before pulley / Substantial torque-steer after pulley = More POWER....IMHO.

To be honest, I was starting to wonder if I actually felt any difference after a few days. I noticed that it was revving faster but it didn't FEEL that much stronger. Until, I came out one night to go to the store for smokes. :blaze: I gunned it outta my development and almost lost my breath. It felt REAL strong. The torque-steer alone almost jerked my car into the other lane! And this was 3-4 days after I had it installed. I think it really does take a few days at a minimum for the computer to catch up.

I would recommend doing it, but do not expect it to GREATLY enhance your cars feel. It is much more responsive but it aint no SC. As a matter of fact, expect to feel nothing and you will be pleasantly surprised!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Resident Troll.

if thats what you feel on a TL-P I have to get off my a$$ and get mine installed... should be some interesting times on a type s!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro

Thanks for the feedback brother! I have two days with my pulley, let's see what happens over the weekend....
Old 10-23-2004, 04:09 AM
Cruisin'

Mira pana let me know how it goes cause I'm thinking about getting the crank pulley
Old 10-23-2004, 04:31 AM
1 B3AKOHE

Very good thread u got going.. Guess i got another part on my shopping list now.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by El Creepo
Mira pana let me know how it goes cause I'm thinking about getting the crank pulley
Claro que si hermano.... I will keep you all posted.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Racer

man I really want to get one of these, but you guys say that it makes the A/C blow less hard, or you just THOUGHT it did?

I know there is no evidence of any damage being caused by installing one of these, but if something were to happen my parents would shoot me since they helped my by my car and they won't know about this UR pulley.

Has anyone talked to the Acura people about this yet?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoldTL
man I really want to get one of these, but you guys say that it makes the A/C blow less hard, or you just THOUGHT it did?

I know there is no evidence of any damage being caused by installing one of these, but if something were to happen my parents would shoot me since they helped my by my car and they won't know about this UR pulley.

Has anyone talked to the Acura people about this yet?

NONE of my systems were effected by this mod. I have not noticed any difference at all. A/C is FINE!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Pro

Well... five days have past, and the POWER is there... When they say wait a couple of days, do exactly that... and then reset your ECU. When you first get it installed and in the following days of the installation, you will start to think that it was not worth the money or the effort, but after the 5+ day window past, you will be down the road.... The power down low, and the high/faster reving of the engine between gears is a great improvement. No more lagging of the line, it picks up immedietly.

I have to say that after all the reading and all the concerns about what I said before (vibration, AC, squeeking noise, etc) not one of them were true.... I take very good care of my car, and plan to keep it for a while, and after talking to some guys and reading threads from ALL the forums on this subject, I decided to do it! And how can you hold back, with prices like 175.00 shipped from Excelerate.

Also, it was all in my head.. the AC is fine! My girl can attest to that... and all the myths about the crank pulley are false regarding the previously mentiond side effect. In regards to long term effects... Who knows.... Many guys of all of these acura/honda forums have had the pulley for quite some time, and have reported nothing negative to date. So, I will continue to do my regular maintenance and checks, to ensure that everything is working in harmony.

Thanks to all of you guys that provided such valuable feedback.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone know if any transmission, etc. warranty will be voided due to an aftermarket crank pulley installed? IF I had problems w/ the tranny , I could have the crank pulley uninstalled... but thats kind of a hassle each time. Let me know guyz. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
Does anyone know if any transmission, etc. warranty will be voided due to an aftermarket crank pulley installed? IF I had problems w/ the tranny , I could have the crank pulley uninstalled... but thats kind of a hassle each time. Let me know guyz. Thanks!
No. Mods will not negatively affect your warranties.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Resident Troll.

No. Mods will not negatively affect your warranties.
well i think it really depends on your dealer but most are cool with mods.... from what i understand as long as you leave your ecu alone they wont give you much of a hard time!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Can anyone also tell me the average going rate for labor for these crank pulley installs. I don't want to get jipped. aprreciate iT!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Advanced

ordered my springs, icebox, and UR pulley

gonna get it all installed(icebox self install) sometime in this upcoming week.

price for the H&R OE springs installed is $244.00. UR Pulley $180.00 from the group buy + belts ($33), + $60.00 for the install.

Ive only had the car for a month and already ive
Tinted the windows,
License plate frames (black chrome)
02 cupholder mod
TSX Rims with new Tires
icebox
H&R springs
UR pulley
K&N filter(soon to be sold)

and i told myself that i was not going to do this. im officially out of control now. yet already ive got my eye on CT headers and rear sway. stop the insanity!!!!!!!!
guess im on my way to creating a signature for myself.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:03 PM
All go, no show

Redbaronace, do you think you could take some picse of your car? I want to see how those H&R OEs look w/ the TSX rims! Thanks!

Quick Reply: UR Crank Pulley installed....