ur crank pulley or headers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ur crank pulley or headers??

hey wassup all im new...i have a 02 tl-p (as you guys would call it) i just put a v2 in a couple days ago and dropped it with the h&r sports...im in the market to get me another mod...but not too sure if i should get the ultra s underdrive pulley by UR or a set of headers...probably from megan or alphawerks...i dont want to go comptech simply because i couldnt find any justification to dish 1200.00 when you can get comparable results with the above two mentioned...so any input?? thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 AM
B A N N E D

I would recommend you to get the DC header. I am in the same boat as you, just started working on my 02 TL-P.

There seems to be a lot of complaint of the megan or alphawerks headers regarding resonance and fitment issue.

A DC header is only $360 shipped.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah there were alot of complaints about the megans originally. i have megans now and i have *NO* complaints. i fixed the resonance issue by having my local shop weld a new piece into the pipe (there is a thread about "fixing megan resonance" if you do a search).

personally, i would say go for the megans, but i'm biased. i got them for dirt cheap on ebay and i have no complaints. i gained about 20whp at redline from them (dyno proven). not to mention it looks as if people are having issues with the DC sports headers also. maybe not alot of people, but i see threads here and there.

and if you want the UR pulley you can find them on ebay for cheap some times. just remember that you will have to pay the labor to put it in.

if i had to suggest which to get first i would recommend headers. i don't necessarily think it's easier to install but you get bigger power gains. you're only gonna get about 5-8whp out of the pulley at most. although everyone says that the quickness in revving and acceleration from the pulley swap is worth it.

yeah, i'm sure i didn't help you.....

SSTS
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Back in the slow lane.

Good question. Probably depends on how you drive the car. Headers will be most effective in the higher rpm range, and the pulley seems to be effective throughout the rpm range. Also, to get the most out of the headers, you should do the whole exhaust system, so figure on another $500 or so for parts and labor. I am doing the pulley, as soon as Accelerate gets them back in stock, because it will be best for my type of driving. Like most people here, you will probably do both at some point anyway, so just flip a coin to see which one you do first
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

Go with the pulleys first, you'll get more for your buck of you're usually on the street alot and on the highway.. if you're going to go for headers, do that later on after doing more research... it'll work out right if you do this that way. For Pulleys, UR, and AEM are good for starters. just my
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You have to consider a few things, like mentioned above. How much money do you have to spend? Will you be installing the part yourself?

The UR crank pulley is a great mod. Although you will see gains on the dyno it doesn't necessarily make more power; it just frees it up. The ligher weight pulley coupled with the slight but safe underdriving of the accessories creates less of a parasitic drag on the engine, thus freeing up HP. This mod is $170 (click here for a link on the UR crank pulley price and info). You can do the entire 3 piece set (crank, p/s, alt) but the power increase is in the crank pulley. Install should run about $75- $100 if you have in installed somewhere.

Besides forced induction and nitrous, headers are the best mod (in terms of increasing HP). There are a few headers on the market but the only header that doesn't have problems is the Comptech header. Megan, Alpha Werks, SS Autochrome, etc all have issues. DC Sports has entered the market and has been a good bang for the buck but there have been about 4-5 people with issues with the gaskets. Comptech is the best header hands down but is expensive. PM me for prices on the DC Sports or Comptech if interested.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Advanced

I would opt for the pulley by UR. I have this mod installed and it has made the car much more enjoyable to drive. I also have the icebox by comptech (intake) and lowered on H&R OE springs.

I had a set of headers, but did not have them installed because i could not be sure that I would not have issues down the line with resonance. Mine were megan headers (never installed). I eventually sold them as new in the box.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
99 SSM Tl

Buy headers first.. ill be a good match with your intake.. dc sport .. and after buy an ur crank pulley if you whant , headers will give you better gain ..
Old 05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Racer

I'd say headers. I just got my used Megan headers (4th batch) from a member here installed and I love em. I feel a little boost in power and the sound is good (a little whoosh and growl!!! sound). And of course a little resonance but not the same as described here like loose marbles etc, but not bad really. I can always have the flex pipe replaced with a stainless straight pipe later.

Also there was a member who mentioned about getting their pulley replaced when the timing belt needs to be done. Since the pulley is removed (?)(or is it?) you could probably have the tech working on it put it on for free.

OntarioTL
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Instructor

hey zer0..how are u liking your v2 so far? i'm hoping to get one soon
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
headers are far and away the best bolt-on mod NON-FI of course. Go for the DC headers that is what I would buy if I were to buy headers again right now. I have Stone headers for over a year with no fitment, resonance issues at all and the gain is significant.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
go with headers if you want the most power gain - the most that you can really notice. you can really tell when the car gets high in the RPMs. I also have Stone headers with over 30k miles on them - all good. I used to have the V2 intake also and my car pulled very hard with that combo.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This question gets asked a lot. If you want most of the gains above 4500 rpm, get the headers. If you want gains across the rpm band, get the pulley.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

both
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 AM
10th Gear

hey shychinoboy...i think you would like the v2...it sounds really aggresive especially once you hit vtec...

other than that i would like to thank you all for your replys as it helped me in picking my next mod...which...im going to wait till i get paid next week to pick up both...because this week i already have my tl-s rims comming in...hah...