Type S or is300?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type S or is300?!

OK, I know what board this is, and I expect to get more people saying the Type S because this or that.

However, would any of you change your mind on the car you slected if you could do it all over again? If so, which car?

The Acura dealer let me take home an ajean blue TLS that had 9 miles on it for a day. In those 24 hours, it kinda grew on, and the speed is great as well as comfort. I thought the car was plain jane mundane in style though, but like some of the kits people have installed.

Also the interior nterior on the TL doesn't seem to have very high Quality rubber and trim?

I have things to pick on the is300 also, which I have on their forum, so I'm not trying to offend any owners, and think they are both great cars.
Old 08-12-2001, 06:47 PM
Pro

I like them both and looked at both but decided on the Acura because it had more room and I have a family. I don't regret my decision at all.

Deciding factors were:
IS300 is smaller
Interior styling will get old in a few years
Slightly more expensive
The supposed better dry handling with RWD is offset by slick road handling abilities

If I had to do it over again I would hold out for the TL-S with NAV.

Nice choices. Either one is OK by me.

$.02
Old 08-12-2001, 07:31 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Definitely I will take the TypeS. Before I bought mine, I test drove the IS300 and immediately I know that this was not a car I want to purchase. Some factors are:

- too small (the size of a civic sedan)
- no armrest
- RWD (not good for weather driving)
- more expensive
- less HP
- the front exterior is just plain ugly

But I have to say the IS300 has a better sound system and outstanding handling. But it is just not enough to convince me to paid more than the TypeS. Both are good cars, but I will have to take the Acura if I have to do it all over again.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd compare the TL with the ES, not the IS. The IS is just too small. If I're to buy a Lexus, I'd get the ES.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up TL-S

Other than EXTERIOR styling the IS aint got nuttin on us. But I read that Infinity is releasing the G35 next spring so you might want to wait for that, just to give yourself more options.
my 2c.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

both.........

both cars are great for the money. I drove the Is300 and the TL-s and the Is300 is more fun to drive hard. The TL-s is so much faster (road and track is wrong about the Is and TL-s being so close in the matter of 0-60!). There are many reasons why I didn't go with the Is300. First if you have kids or clients to haul around then the Is300 is horrible for that task. The style is kind of cool, but I know the rear lights will irk me later on. Rear wheel is horrible in Colorado snow, and last the going with the TL-s saves me about $125 a month on payments. The Is is good, but not great. **** my tl-s isn't that great either, but gosh it can't be beat for the money. Before you buy, drive both and weigh out your wants and needs. I was so close to buying the Is, but the weather thing really effected my decision (my 323i was horrible in snow!).
Old 08-13-2001, 02:39 AM
Racer

I'm torn between the two cars. Wish the G35 (skyline) was coming out in a month or two.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:43 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 won't be on our side of shore 'til Spring 2002. If you can wait that long, then I suggest you wait for it!! I did some research on G35(Skyline V-Series in Japan), and to my surprise, the exterior dimension of G35 is only the size of IS300, however, the interior length/width/height specs are all up with TL's, only 3/4" short at most!!! 3.5L V6, pumping 260HP(or even higher), 240+ of torque, and RWD, it's gonna be one hell of a car!!! And if Nissan kept its promise of keeping G35 price tag lower than I35, we might have a new class-leading, bang for the buck leader!!!

Andy Kuo
Old 08-13-2001, 04:04 AM
Burning Brakes

now coming from an IS300 owner's point of view. it really depends on what you're looking for in a car. you want a family car or something more sporty?
the reason i purchased my IS300 was due to its exterior/interior, which was very appealing. also the fact that the is300 carries the 2jz-ge, which is one of the most potent motors the japanese have ever built. it can easily handle 500hp with stock internals. the RWD on the is300's also an advantage from my point of view. handling is a day and night diff from TL-S to IS300. while people like to praise the TL-S for its "godly" quickness, i beg to differ. i've raced my cousin's TL-S before, and all i have is SRT HFI, yes i did beat him. although the TL-S IS a quick sedan, the IS300 has more potential. i read the posts and someone had mention that the TL-S has more hp, well HP isn't always the deciding factor in a race. traction, suspension, engine wear, all comes into play. i'm not at all baggin on the TL-S. i think its a great car, and if you have a family, you should choose it and not the is300. like i said, it depends on what your needs are.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:58 AM
aTL
Instructor

You'll get different oppnions either way you look @ it oppinions are like A$$holes everybody has one. I test drove the IS because i saw i own a Lex G4 aswell i wanted to see what it was about its a pretty solid car but i didn't like the size to small for me. I test drove the TL it fitted all my needs and i liked the overall look, handling, interior, package of the TLS plus it was cheaper it had everything the IS had and it had it for a lower price that is what i based my decission on. And whoever said the Grill was a little cheese for the IS was also correct i didn't like that either.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:13 AM
tea elle

Drive them both at least three times before you decide. The IS is not practical enough. Its definitely a great "young guy's car". To me, its the ideal car for a 22 year old guy who lives at home and wants to race around town, constantly looking for other 22 year old guys to impress. Those of you who own the IS, this is just my impression...don't get all bent out of shape over it.

I never considered the IS because its too small inside and too cheesy inside. I think its a great looking car on the outside.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:56 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Last week I put my deposit down for a TL-S. This came after many months of reviewing and evaluating various cars (namely the 325i, A4, MB C-class, CL/TL-S, Maxima, and of course the IS300. From that list I finally narrowed it down to the IS300 and the TL-S.

Things that ultimately dissuaded me from purchase of an IS300:

1) It's too small (I told myself my next car would be a bit bigger than my previous - an Integra)
2) Inevitable and uavoidable racer-boy stigma (I'm really sick of this...)
3) Ugly clear tails (although as I mentioned in another post, this can be remedied with body-colored taillight covesr from Rod Millen)
4) Lack of power in stock form (I am unwilling to dump thousands upon thousands on mods to make it faster, thus voiding the warranty in some cases)
5) Price (I would have added the full leather option, LSD, moonroof package, spoiler, etc.)
6) Their forum sucks.

Although I fit exactly into the target demographic for the IS300, I want a more sophisticated car. My only gripe about the TLS is that it's FWD. Oh well... I guess I can wait 'til I have the money to get an M3. But for now, I'm happy and excited about getting my new TL-S... and I'm confident that I made the right decision for me.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:11 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I do have a family, a 6 month old little girl.

I can get a better deal on the Acura. What are some good mods available othert then exhaust and the headers? What are some ETs with these mods? We drive a cushy luxury car now, and want a little more sport/fun. Also, my C4 vette doesn't make a great daily driver.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:23 PM
Racer

I will probably offend some people out there, but I will not see myself spending like $4k more on beefed-up corolla! Yes, the IS looks realy nice outside, but when I sat in one and drove one (I actully considered IS) I realy couldn't believe that they will charge soo much $ for car with almost no interior room whatsoever! as it was said before in this post, IS is for young, living at home with parents kids who want to impress everyone. IS is NOT a car for someone with a family and kids, IMHO.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:40 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

it works both ways..

those toyota ppl can come back and say we're driving nothing more than beefed-up Accords...
Old 08-13-2001, 01:43 PM

I'd wait to testdrive the new IS300 stick, as Lexus listened to what people complained about as far as what the 1st year IS lacked: all leather, firmer seats, armrest, flip-out nav, etc. My wife has a 330 conv. and it's just as small as the IS, so it helps to have a larger second car. I like the TL/TLS, but you can see where they cut corners to get that price, as opposed to the IS300 that has the same Lexus quality as the rest of the model line. And reliability and customer service to me solidify the decision. Obviously the look of the car is personal preference, so it doesn't help to state that X car is nicer than Y car, because then everyone would be driving X car if that was the case. And modding an IS300 w/ TRD parts won't void the warranty as they are manufactured by Toyota. And pricewise, they are rather comparable, w/about a 2k diff if you go to each site and build them individually (although the TLS comes with more standard features). Either way both cars would be money well spent and fun to drive.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:24 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

please explain how the IS300 has the "same build quality as the rest of the Lexus line"

That contradicts everything we have come to know and hate about that lovely corrola-quality interior in the IS
Old 08-13-2001, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When I drove the IS300 at the Mercedes Powertrip, my friend and I went back to back taking turns burying that 'lil car in the twisties. It just kept coming back for more. There isn't anything fragile about that car, it's definitely as solid and as high quality as the rest of the Lexus line-up -- granted, I am not for the styling of the interior, but it is a durable one, at that.

The IS300 truly does sport a great engine -- the Supra I-6 -- ya can't go wrong w/ that, it's every modders dream. I think the whole package is very sharp.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:11 PM

my2sense, go to the IS300 board and find a post regarding shoddy interior materials like cheap leather, fake wood, peeling dash, gouged seatbelt holders or flaking paint, because that's what I found after looking only 10 minutes on this TL forum. You have to also understand that the IS300 was just created last year, and not based on another platform, unlike the TL that shares 48% of it's parts from the Accord, and is already 3 years old.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

TedC, i feel your post was very fairly judged. not because i am biased, made you made your points well. as for people saying the IS300's interior is crap, not true. you only say so because you dont like the look, not because you've experienced the quality for yourself, have you? and to say the is300 is a souped up ferrari? the IS300 has one of the best chassis ever built by toyota/lexus. minor details (eg: height adjusting headlights, one of the first to make 6disc indash, 17" stock, e-shift, graphite wheel option, leather ecsaine!) make the car worth paying for. plus, i love the interior styling of my is300. the car is fairly knew, but if all that knows something knows that the IS300 carries the 2jz-ge. an engine that has a world of aftermarket supporter behind it. and engine that can take a good amount of beating with no harmful side effect. this is not to say that the TL, TL-S is a bad car. like i said before, VERY nice car, but for performance aspects, it will not be able to compete with the is300. so if you want a cruiser on dubs, get the TL-S
Old 08-14-2001, 09:00 PM
Racer

This is so hard. I was supposed to pick up an Ajean Blue TL Type S today. They gave me $1700 off, and added it to my trade in, and
said he could get another $500 off MSRP from the car if I commit.

Then today, a very cool guy scott, who I talked to before, from lexus calls and says. So what do we have to do to get you into this Lexus, come by in the morning, drive it again. SO Lexus is willing to work on the price, which they want $34.4K fully loaded with all option, including special wheels. The above price already includes the $1000 off they offered at first.

The wife likes the IS, I think i'm liking the TL for its speed even though its FWD and a little extra space. Why is this so hard? The cars are so diff, yet the same. They don't have any Navi TLs in, but our city is not maped, just main through streets anyhow.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

It really depends on how you're going to use the car. I think the IS is a nice compact car. I wouldn't consider it as a family car because it's too small compare with the TL. On the other hand, the IS is more sporty.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just buy the IS300 for Pete's sake (no pun intended).

Then, come on here and haggle us about how much better it is than the TL-S.

End of discussion, yeesh.

Old 08-15-2001, 03:51 AM
Racer

Sorry if I'm getting on people's nerves. I really do appreciate all the help everyone has given. Is $1700, plus another 500 off a good deal from MSRP?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:57 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300
like i said before, VERY nice car, but for performance aspects, it will not be able to compete with the is300.
What kind of performance are we talking about here? Last time I checked, the TL-S was faster than the IS300, whether it's 0-60 or 1/4 mile.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:59 AM
Dr. TLS

And don't post any of that stuff that you will kill me in the twisties. Most of us drive on the road, not the track. I use my car to get from point A to point B, as most people do.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:19 PM
Instructor

I'll need to agree. The TL-S will slaughter the defenseless IS300 unless it has very serious mods indeed. I gotta' call BS on the victorious IS... The IS I test drove and my buddies IS (who won't race) are cool cars, look and handle great but will get their butts handed to them acceleratively speaking by the TL-S...

My only encounter with this engine was 4 days ago against an aggressively driven GS300. When I stopped next to him at the light we got to experiment. I actually felt sorry for him at the next light. His aggressiveness was apparently satisfied since he drove smoothly and carefully after that with no further hints of aggressiveness... Granted the GS is heavier but man the thing was, relatively speaking, a stone!
Old 08-18-2001, 10:17 PM
Instructor

I firmly stand behind my decision to purchase my TLS over the IS. I could have received a very nice employee discount on the IS, but it couldn't make the car any bigger or give it any more power. the 2001 IS definitely had it problems (major hesitation problems with the computer and problems with the 6 disc in dash player). Almost every IS that comes into service at one time or another has had the radio replaced, because the CD player ate the discs. Not a big deal, but a hastle.

On the other hand, I saw my first IS 5 speed manual this past Thursday (besides the customer who imported his IS200 German 5speed with Nav. last year). The new IS is slightly improved. There is a factory option spoiler that is sorta like the WW lip spoiler, but it has a clear LED light in it. There is a perforated real leather option instead of the escaine (which is still offered). The pop-up nav controler is down by the new leather armrest (smaller and not as functional as the TL's) and it has a bazillion functions on it. On the darker color cars, they come with Black Gold/Black Pearl rear tail lights. The lense is still clear, but the chrome is blacked out (just on the darker colors).

As soon as I drive the brand new bright red color demo, I'll report back on the 5 speed performance. I don't think it has stopped driving since the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) was done on Friday afternoon. I can't wait, but I still love my TLS.

You do get things with a Lexus that Acura doesn't offer, like the loan cars for any service. I don't car if you are getting a tail light changed or an oil change, you get a free loan car. We have a fleet of around 250 loan cars that are always going in and out.

I have yet to experience Acura service, but I'm due for my first oil change very soon.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:34 AM
Racer

thanks for the info. I think our services does offer loaner cars. Will ask today, thanks again.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:49 AM
Pro

fuq the is300........the rear lights r played out like hell...the only thing thats better about it is the new 5-speed manual...which does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds...which still doesnt beat an automatic type s........i'd prefer the type s..it's larger and could still outhandle the is300......
Old 08-20-2001, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Buy the IS

and give it to my girlfriend, that would really make her happy. Then you won't have enough money to buy eaither, problem solved.
Seriously, they are both greast cars and it seems to me that you will be very happy with either one. Or have you considered getting both of them? Does your wife need a car too? My girlfriend is in love with the IS300 and she is considering getting one soon. I cant wait.Good luck
Old 08-20-2001, 05:42 PM
Instructor

wow, the manual makes it a sec faster?

One of my friends just got the new IS300 5-speed...but I have yet to see it. Does it really hustle to 60 in 6.5... bettering the auto by almost a full second?!? That's pretty impressive.

Does that mean that the new 6-speed CL-s can do 60 in under 6 seconds? Also, I read in motor-trend that a 6-speed TL-S was to be developed as well, although I think that idea has been thoroughly shot down here at these forums.

hmm... a 6 speed manual.. *drool*...
Old 08-20-2001, 06:04 PM
Instructor

I test drove both TLS and IS at Pleasanton Lexus
and Acura (they are the same dealership and
next to each other.) before I bought the TLS.

IS is good. handling is much tighter and steering
feel really good and made in Japan

These are the reason I didn't choose IS:
1) small interior
2) a bit higher price
3) gas mileage (the hwy is only 22 or 24 MPG)

My TLS clocked 29MPG in last tank of gas and I
felt very impressed. Even my 98 Accord V6 can only reach
25MPG max. This is quite major factor to me as
San Francisco Bay Area gas price is very high.

The big minus about TLS is its interior rattles and
squeak. Perhaps it is made in US and they pay less
attention on these tiny things. But it's kind of expected
because my 98 Accord has the same problem.

Overall, I am happy with my TLS. Hope it helps,

-- william
Old 08-20-2001, 11:22 PM
Racer

Cool For my money the TL-S ...

... was the better deal. I do not think the IS300 is a comprable vehicle. Way too small. One look at the IS eliminated it. On the other hand the ES300 is comparable in size/utility. But we felt like the styling was way too old - it is being redesigned soon. So the ES was easy to eliminate as well. Now the GS300 is formidable competition for the TL, but way too much money for my wallet.

For us the MDX was superior to Lexus, and so to the TL-S
No regrets whatsoever.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:46 PM
Racer

Thanks a lot you guys, I already decided, and guess what I got Lets just say you will be seeing more of me around here.

Hope the interior doesn't rattle. Everyone is always talking about honda build quality.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:13 AM
Type SSS

Go for the TL-S especially if you have a kid. I recently bought the TL-S and had 2000 TL before that. I know for a fact that once you get the TL-S, you will not regret it. Test drive both TL-S and IS300. You will notice ONE THING FOR SURE. IS300 IS TOO FREAKEN SMALL (I hope I spelled freaken correctly).

I was in a same shoe as you about 2 month ago. I was debating between TL-S, BMW 328! (2000 used) or IS 300. TL-S is best bang for the buck. I got my car $33,900 out the door with the Navigation her in SO CAL. (The NAVIGATION SYSTEMS IS GREAT AND I LOVE IT) This is less than a price of IS300 with some options and W/O NAVI. TL-S come with lots of standard options. Also, TL-S is faster than IS300 as far as performance is concerned and has better gas mileage. I guess you can say that with TL-S, you get best of both world. Entry level Luxary car with many STD OPTIONS, GREAT PERFORMANCE, and A PRICE THAT IS UNBEATABLE IN ITS CLASS.

Here's my 2 cent!
Old 08-21-2001, 12:17 AM
Type SSS

I guess my 2 cent was little late. By less than 30 min. I guess while I was typing your reply, you made up your mind. . Anyways ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR