TYPE S conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by j83
im just a lurker but some ppl on this forum know me, and they know i got the swap done. the swap went alright it gets cold up here in NJ and having to work outside on the swap is not pleasant at all, but just like fsttyms1 after you're done for the most part... you're going to have a lil knick knacks of parts to buy here and there, im finishing up on gettin polyeurathane mounts installed (it's custom so dont ask where they have that).

during this whole swap I learned that when i was dealing with used engine and tranny i now know to make sure to inspect for crack, leaks, missing parts.
lets see in my swap i had :
-missing throttle body of the engine assembly
-when i did order the throttle body i found the tps sensor almost broken off
-vtec solenoid neck snapped off right by the oil filter when i bought the engine
-where the motor mount on the passenger side of the block cracked off right at the waterpump welded at a steep price because it is an aluminum block
-even after welding it im getting a drip of oil leak from that area definately the welders fault!
-when i ordered the tranny i asked for both the axles, after a month later found out that the one side of the axle was from another car (swindlers! ) but turns out you can use your tl-p or cl-p auto axle although i know for sure the axles on the tl-s or cl-s is stronger
-you have the get the immoblilzer reprogrammed
-you have to fight to get the tranny, engine, speedo, ecm, other etc parts. at the right price cause for a while cl-tl-accord crowd are trying to get their hands on them too.
-just when I thought I paid for most of swap parts, alot of parts more to buy from acura, another bundles of joy right there
-unless you are inclined for rewiring using the service manual, you'll have to be a step ahead because even in the manual you'll find that its not accurate in certain areas it can throw you off.
-acura parts guy that i deal with had this problem with ordering something on the clutch master cyl.(not his fault) honda bagged a wrong part into the part number
-freaking im sure every guy who has done this swap knows that magical part that is located down by the timing belt, that magical sensor price just makes you dread about even doing this swap,

but pm me if you need help on the install. btw to get the tranny i traveled pretty far to get the 6 spd, i mean real FAR (around your state), but i guess imma patient guy and after all this and it was worth it , it was all talk a couple of years ago when i wanted to do this but i finally came through -j-
There is NO difference in the drive shafts. They are the exact same. They are the same part # 44305-sok-c11.

Congrats on teh swap though, Yea hat one Magical spot is a but its ALL WORTH IT!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 AM
j83
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correction

the driveshafts that i mentioned before... i forgot that it was 99-00 that had a different rollers set up in the boot, i was checking the manual again turns out that the 01 driveshafts have the same ones as 02-03 so were on the lucky side, i was able to get both axles including intermediate shaft for dirt cheap go figure for why i got the wrong part on one end of the axle -j-
Old 01-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joe80055
Why haven't I seen any threads about this mod you've made?... So tell me.. how'd it go?
He is my mechanic so I keep him busy fixing my car instead of posting plus he's always busy in the garage. Here are pics of the conversion, he still doing some interior work as you see his navi box is below the passenger seat instead of the trunk.

It is unbelievable how amazing this car feels in a 6spd, my car with the same bolt ons doesnt compare in acceleration ..night and day..I feel even slower now
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I too saw this car today, and took a spin in it. It is unbelieveable how quick this car is. J is a very skilled mechanic...all of the things in his car work perfectly fine, and he throws no CELs. I still am amazed at how this was taken care of. PS---He figured out the issue I was having with my car as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
I too saw this car today, and took a spin in it. It is unbelieveable how quick this car is. J is a very skilled mechanic...all of the things in his car work perfectly fine, and he throws no CELs. I still am amazed at how this was taken care of. PS---He figured out the issue I was having with my car as well.
Cool you guys looked like you were gonna be there forever so I went back home. Now you gotta install the charger
Old 01-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Low and Slow

Hey J, how much would you charge to do the swap? J/K. I want to do the same swap, but I won't have it done for a year or so. Down payment on engine and tranny here I come.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Get teh ENGINE STRUTS on that thing. You will get alot of motor flop and destroy those mounts quick. Id also go with a better set of aftermarket ones.!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
j83
Pro

notice im freaking used the rear at motor mounts lol,
i have some custom setup on the mounts coming up this week
but for now i take it easy -j-
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Thumbs up

Another 2G 6MT TL!

What motor mounts did you use for your 6MT motor fsttyms? I don't know if Hasport makes any... or do they? And by engine struts are you talking about those torque dampeners that the CL guys put on their cars to prevent wheel hop? That would be a great idea.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by j83
yeah right, if that was easy I dont want to know what fast is haha
Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Well damn, I guess I'll just be the 3rd to do the conversion.. I'm still waiting around for more parts from different places.

I'm surprised though, that tranny looks brand new.

As for looking for the transmission, I know how much it sucks to drive so far just to get a stupid tranny... I was going to go down to Miami to get one, but I decided to get the -S engine and Tranny, along with everything else from this place over on the West Coast... I can't wait till I get the freight shipment through my school's post office.. they're going to freak out seeing a 1,000+lbs package in the mail waiting for me. LOL

Quick question... the harnesses in the dash.. were there any additional harnesses that you had to get or were you fine with what you had already? Also, how much did your engine/tranny run you? For everything I have so far from the ECU, to engine, harnesses, tranny, clutches + pedals, etc. came to a flat $4,000k after shipping. I won't be starting on the conversion until mid-late february when school dies down and I have everything I need.

How long did the job run for you also? that is, since you had all of the right tools already.
Anything I should know in advance?
The ECU, in order to program the keys to work with it to be able to crank the engine, how much would that cost anyway? The dealerships around here don't like helping me at all since I'm modding my car.

P.S. I have all the sensors i need already in the engine/tranny package... I just have to unbolt the tranny from the block to see if the clutch is in good condition.

... Damn, If your car's fast already as is without any mods, .. I can't wait to slap on my headers and custom-fit the CAI I have already for this thing... It'll be a monster.

I need to learn how to drive a stick before I can move the car though...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

What motor mounts did you use for your 6MT motor fsttyms? I don't know if Hasport makes any... or do they? And by engine struts are you talking about those torque dampeners that the CL guys put on their cars to prevent wheel hop? That would be a great idea.
The CL-S6 mounts, and yes thats what im talking about. They make a huge difference. Without them you get too much wheel hop and the motor really flopas around alot more.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Well damn, I guess I'll just be the 3rd to do the conversion.. I'm still waiting around for more parts from different places.

I'm surprised though, that tranny looks brand new.

As for looking for the transmission, I know how much it sucks to drive so far just to get a stupid tranny... I was going to go down to Miami to get one, but I decided to get the -S engine and Tranny, along with everything else from this place over on the West Coast... I can't wait till I get the freight shipment through my school's post office.. they're going to freak out seeing a 1,000+lbs package in the mail waiting for me. LOL

Quick question... the harnesses in the dash.. were there any additional harnesses that you had to get or were you fine with what you had already? Also, how much did your engine/tranny run you? For everything I have so far from the ECU, to engine, harnesses, tranny, clutches + pedals, etc. came to a flat $4,000k after shipping. I won't be starting on the conversion until mid-late february when school dies down and I have everything I need.

How long did the job run for you also? that is, since you had all of the right tools already.
Anything I should know in advance?
The ECU, in order to program the keys to work with it to be able to crank the engine, how much would that cost anyway? The dealerships around here don't like helping me at all since I'm modding my car.

P.S. I have all the sensors i need already in the engine/tranny package... I just have to unbolt the tranny from the block to see if the clutch is in good condition.

... Damn, If your car's fast already as is without any mods, .. I can't wait to slap on my headers and custom-fit the CAI I have already for this thing... It'll be a monster.

I need to learn how to drive a stick before I can move the car though...

I find it hard to believe the dealer wont reprogram the keys for you. Call your local honda dealer. Mine charged me 45 bucks to do so. If your getting the whole front clip ask for the keys as well. Then you could reprogram it yourself.
Also try it without replacing the dash harness. See if you can get it to work.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by j83
You had me by 2 cars easy with that little run we did and I was gate shifting.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Wow... he got you good by that much?... what mods does the 6MT have against your car?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Wow... he got you good by that much?... what mods does the 6MT have against your car?
Same mods
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

the 6 speed is better gearing, weighs ALOT less, and doesnt loose nearly as much HP thru drivetrain loss as the auto.