Two Noises That Are Killing Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Two Noises That Are Killing Me

Hi all...

Well, with a lot of effort, I have been able to eliminate most of my squeaks and rattles... Two remain...at least these are the two that I can hear now:

1. Metallic vibration coming from around the dashboard... I can hear it when the car is vibrating slightly, and sometimes on bumps...

2. Noise from door... Sounds like the weather stripping is not doing it's job... I hear noise in the upper area of the car when I drive with my left ear... Sounds like it's coming from the upper corner of the door (right by my ear)...

Anyone report similar noises (and more importantly...any solutions)?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Dash?

door, make sure that the little rubber trim is seated all the way corectly. I was cleaning mine one day and accidentally misaligned part of it and caused it to sound like a misaligned door/airleak
Old 01-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dash?

door, make sure that the little rubber trim is seated all the way corectly. I was cleaning mine one day and accidentally misaligned part of it and caused it to sound like a misaligned door/airleak
Yea, sounds like the metallic vibration is coming from the speedo or from under the dashboard... The Acura guys also thought it might be the speedo...so they replaced it... But the noise is still there...so it ain't the speedo...

The rubber trim appears to be aligned... Not sure what I would look for except for something obvious (which I cannot see anything that looks obviously wrong)...

Thanks...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ill try to take a pic of mine in the AM (when its light out) and show you where mine was off
Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have this annoying noise from my driver side pillar also - a rattle and I cant find anything that could do it. I took off the pieces and checked the bolts that hold seat belt on and the noise is still there...who knows
Old 01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem with my doors. Noise seems to be coming from the top part of the window from both front doors. It sounds like metal hitting metal and I only hear it when going at highway speeds. Been having this problem for about 6 months and its the only thing that pisses me off about this car. Hope someone has better luck in finding the source of this problem..
Old 01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the metallic noises that (seem to) come from your dash, try centering the steering wheel and then slapping it with your fingers at both 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (slap the outside edge of the steering wheel). If you hear a noise, is that it?

Don't have a solution, just something my car does that I recently pinpointed. If it applies to you, and you have a fix, please post.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:08 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
I have this annoying noise from my driver side pillar also - a rattle and I cant find anything that could do it. I took off the pieces and checked the bolts that hold seat belt on and the noise is still there...who knows
I have the same noise coming from somewhere withing the upper Driver's door or pillar. I have lubricated all rubber with Silacone and that didn't help. The noise only appears when I'm on a concrete highway or a rough road. Want to take off the door panel and see what I can find but hate to do that till I know what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone will have the solution. This is the only annoying noise in my 99TL.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the door noise as well. The dealer replaced the door trim entirely and also lubed the weather strip, but nothing helped. But If i lower the window just tiny bit, then the noise is completely gone. Sucks that Acura can't even design a door that closes like Audi or Bmws
Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Hi all...

Well, with a lot of effort, I have been able to eliminate most of my squeaks and rattles... Two remain...at least these are the two that I can hear now:

1. Metallic vibration coming from around the dashboard... I can hear it when the car is vibrating slightly, and sometimes on bumps...

2. Noise from door... Sounds like the weather stripping is not doing it's job... I hear noise in the upper area of the car when I drive with my left ear... Sounds like it's coming from the upper corner of the door (right by my ear)...

Anyone report similar noises (and more importantly...any solutions)?

Thanks!

Mike
I had the same problem the noise by your ear is coming from the drivers seat belt unit. After several trips to the dealer they finally got it right but it took the following: Replace seat belt, lube seat belt mechanism and isulate the trim piece that covers the seat belt harness on the door pillar. I also was getting noise from the drivers door panel right by the area were the door lock is at and the wood trim in my door pane. They after several attempts replace part of the door panel and it took care of it.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tlling
I had the same problem the noise by your ear is coming from the drivers seat belt unit. After several trips to the dealer they finally got it right but it took the following: Replace seat belt, lube seat belt mechanism and isulate the trim piece that covers the seat belt harness on the door pillar. I also was getting noise from the drivers door panel right by the area were the door lock is at and the wood trim in my door pane. They after several attempts replace part of the door panel and it took care of it.
I wonder if the noise is also on the passenger side of the car... Since I don't sit there, I wouldn't be able to hear it... Anyone know if this issue exists on both sides?

I know...why fix something you can't hear, right? I don't want my car to sound like a cheap POS... So if I know the noise would be there for the passenger, I'd want it fixed...

Guess I'll see if a friend can help me listen for it...

FYI - I am making an appointment to have these two problems looked at by the dealership... I'll let you all know what they find... (won't be for a week or so... I left a message for my service advisor this evening to set up an appointment)...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mblanton66
As far as the metallic noises that (seem to) come from your dash, try centering the steering wheel and then slapping it with your fingers at both 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (slap the outside edge of the steering wheel). If you hear a noise, is that it?

Don't have a solution, just something my car does that I recently pinpointed. If it applies to you, and you have a fix, please post.
Thanks for making me aware of this... Indeed, when I "slap" the outside steering wheel, I do get a noise that sounds close to the metallic noise I am hearing... Do you also hear it during road vibrations?

I'll have to mention this when I bring my car in... Maybe they can insulate the steering column with some foam insulation...might do the trick...
Old 01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro

Update: Just dropped my car off at the dealership for warranty work...

We were able to duplicate both sounds... I'll let you know how it goes!

It'll take at least a week to give you guys an update though... I am on business travel next week, so I won't be able to confirm anything until I get back...

Wish me luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced

do you have a OEM kit on your car? i was searching all over for this noise in the right dash and it would only happen on freeway speeds. afer all the time wasted on finding out what it was, it turned out that one of the clips that hold the side skirt in place. it looked like a black plastic push in clip. i fixed it by adding a washer in between the clip and side skirt bracket. i only noticed the noise when i had the radio down. usually the radio is turned up in my car
Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
I have the door noise as well. The dealer replaced the door trim entirely and also lubed the weather strip, but nothing helped. But If i lower the window just tiny bit, then the noise is completely gone. Sucks that Acura can't even design a door that closes like Audi or Bmws
I found out what makes the noise right by your ear when you drive...its the seat belt mechanism at the bottom of the pillar. I took off the inside plastic to show the metal and the seat belt gear. all that noise what coming from the seat belt gear not being 100% tight. when the car is stopped, I can make that noise by slightly moving the seat belt gear side to side. I guess that noise just gets echoed up the inside of the pillar so it is loud right by your ear. Im going to try to get rid of the noise finally tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:03 AM

I found out what makes the noise right by your ear when you drive...its the seat belt mechanism at the bottom of the pillar. I took off the inside plastic to show the metal and the seat belt gear. all that noise what coming from the seat belt gear not being 100% tight. when the car is stopped, I can make that noise by slightly moving the seat belt gear side to side. I guess that noise just gets echoed up the inside of the pillar so it is loud right by your ear. Im going to try to get rid of the noise finally tomorrow.
Yepper-I yanked on the seat belt and locked it in place driving down the highway when it was making that noise and yes it quit when it was locked in place. I'm going to take off the trim and see if I can find the source of the noise. Now that I've noticed it, it's only more annoying.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 AM

Any tips on removing the trim? I hate breaking clips I don't know about?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

yah i have that noise problem too...but it turned out to be my rear view morrior..-.-
Old 01-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Luke7
Any tips on removing the trim? I hate breaking clips I don't know about?
just pull it up from the one end and work your way down to the next clip...it wont break.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mblanton66

I got a call from my Acura service guy this morning... He was giving me an update and told me that the service tech thinks he found the source of the metallic vibration in the steering column...

Apparently it was coming from a loose screw... He's tightened it and thinks that my steering wheel noise has been eliminated... I won't be able to confirm it myself until I pick up my car late next week... But thought I would let you know...

Thanks for pointing this out mblanton66... It was a critical piece of information going into the dealership and being able to point this out...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro

Alright guys... They finished earlier than they planned, so I was able to pick my car up before my business trip...

Problems appear to be resolved... The metallic vibration was from a loose screw near the airbag assembly... The service tech told me that he tightened it down, and applied some locktite to the threads (so that should be solved for good)...

The noise near my left ear was caused by the seal that the window/glass presses up against... Not the rubber gasket around the door that I thought was causing it...

I still hear slight noises...but nowhere near the noises that were there before... I think the remaining noise is probably categorized as "normal" cabin noise though...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 PM

I removed the trim on the pillar between the front and rear door. It comes right off and also went back on very easily. I unbolted the seat belt mechanism. Yea, that what was making the metal vibrating/rattling noise. I put some silicon (have a tube of it that I used on brake caliper guide pins) on the metal clip that holds tension on the seat belt locking mechanism and also sprayed some liquid silicone into the gear mechanism. It doesn't raddle anymore. It was an easy fix for a real annoying noise. YEA!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem in my car with the noise like swooshing air next to my left ear. Drives me crazy. The voices in my head keep telling me the window is open