THE TRUTH IN THE END...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 05:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post THE TRUTH IN THE END...

Listen up. we got people from each end of the age and experience spectrum. We're all driving $30k cars. some of us have tried out bimmers, benzes, ferraris, 911 turbos, etc. jokers and egotist are welcomed under this topic, but I would really like to answer the question: what is the difference between a suped up CL/TL and the rest and what is so much better about the other stuff and WHAT ARE WE MISSING OUT ON by not all having the dream cars at the auto show? Honestly, this materialistic world makes me feel like sh*t for ONLY having A TL...

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1100x Fogs, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 12-04-2000, 08:47 AM
Racer

Well I know what I am missing out on. My ferrari and its in a slightly different ball park then my TL lol.

As far as the other cars. I feel proud knowing i have luxury without taking it up the a$$ in car payments and expenses. I could drive anything but I wanted a TL . Don't let the haters hate too much.

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 12-04-2000, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. If I wanted a hotrod, I'd drive one. I prefer to leave my TL experience as Acura intended it, and have only done minimal mods.

In the future, I will upgrade tires. Not for increased performance (although that will be a nice benefit), but instead for decreased road noise.

I like my TL as it is, and ain't missing out on much. Obvoiusly, others will differ. I understand the prediliction to modify something in the interest of personalization, but am not too moved by the notion myself.

However, all that may change when I test drive the TL-S. I can only hope that it comes w/ the carbon fiber interior so that I will not covet it...

Depending on the new job I land, I may upgrade to a 540i in the future. It will likely not be a 6-speed, though, as I'm not into working the clutch for 45 minutes at a time in dallas traffic jams.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-04-2000, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, OK - i know, I didn't answer the question!

What do i see myself as missing out on?
- higher cost of ownership
- bouncier ride
- worse fuel economy
- compromised vehicle integrity and reliability
- appearing less mature
- many hours of time spent working on my car
- being able to 'one-stop-shop' at Acura if I want
- a louder car
- unwanted attention from police, other motorists and passers-by
- respect and admiration from import tuners

What di I still get? A damn fine car that I love.

------------------
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
Old 12-04-2000, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Kudos, 2 points Gomez.
Old 12-04-2000, 12:19 PM
Banned

Arrow

Well... you said it, we live in a materialistic world.... and even though I don't feel like sh*t about having the TL but I would much rather drive an M5 or an E55, and believe me I would've but my wife won't let me .... something about family and other expenses... LOL

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-04-2000, 12:27 PM
Pro

Not all of CA is this expensive, just around SIlicon Valley and SF. There are affordable places still, but too far from work. I like driving my TL, but not to commute 2 hours a day each way like some of my collegues do.

Media price in San Jose is around $453,000. That includes condos and townhomes, so you figure houses are more like avg- $625k?

Reality is I can trade my car in for a small house in places like Mississippi, but I pay to live here.
Old 12-04-2000, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

gotta agree w/ yu888 about house prices here, but median house bid is usually above the actual house value. many people offer stock as part of deal too!! pre-ipo companies!! lol

anyway, trying to talk my dad to renting me his old house (3 bed, 2 bath, 1 story w/ swim pool) for $1k/month, currently going for $2350/month.

here's to hoping...
Old 12-04-2000, 12:44 PM
Banned

Well... it's not as bad in NYC... you can get a 2 bedroom condo for only $250K+... I'm not talking about Manhattan, there a studio would probably cost more...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-04-2000, 12:47 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally posted by bobatimez:
Listen up. we got people from each end of the age and experience spectrum. We're all driving $30k cars. some of us have tried out bimmers, benzes, ferraris, 911 turbos, etc. jokers and egotist are welcomed under this topic, but I would really like to answer the question: what is the difference between a suped up CL/TL and the rest and what is so much better about the other stuff and WHAT ARE WE MISSING OUT ON by not all having the dream cars at the auto show? Honestly, this materialistic world makes me feel like sh*t for ONLY having A TL...

What do I feel I'm missing? Well, compared to the car I most wanted to buy (a 528i):
  • Steering feel. I've never driven a car with better steering than the 3-series, and the 528i is close behind. The TL's steering is a little lighter than I'd prefer.
  • Some road feel and handling magic. I think the TL has great handling for a FWD car with over 60% of its weight on the front wheels, but it cannot touch the 50/50 balance of a modern BMW.
  • Some amenities, like memory seats and full leather.
  • Styling. The 5-series looks better than the TL.
  • Less wind noise at speed. Stupid mirrors...

That's not a hell of a lot to give up to save $15,000! And that doesn't take into account the things I find annoying about the Bimmer, like the lack of an in-dash CD player in a $40k car (I know, they finally have one for 2001), and the higher maintenance costs.

Like Gomez, I'm not modding my car, although I'm looking forward to new tires someday. I'm very, very happy with the TL. Given my life right now, value and quality are more important than ultimate quality. I strongly believe that nothing comes close to providing the TL's value in the sport sedan segment.

Now cheer up and enjoy your beautiful car!

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 12-04-2000, 12:48 PM
Pro

I don't think it matters how much money you make or have! because your always gonna want something better than what you've got.(ie. In high school I had a Civic then when I made a few bucks I bought a BMW and a R-1) and now that I make a decent living I bought a TL, which in my opinion is the best dollar value of any car out in the market.
It's been about 4 months now that I've had my TL and I've done all the mods I pretty much want and I'm pretty sure If I make alittle more in the future I'm still gonna want to get a NSX.
I know there are alot of better cars out there but not in the $30K range!!!!!!!! It took me about two months to decide between the
~TL(thanks to this forum, that's why I got it)
~CL-S
~330is
~A-4
~and the IS300(this probably was the worst of the four, not because I don't like the IS forum but when I test drove it, it really felt like I was driving a 4-door Civic, which is what I was trying to get away from.)

You are right, this is a materialistic world but I am definetly proud to drive a TL .
Hope you feel the same way!!!

------------------
tann@808-'00 TL
non-Navi(Doesn't work in Hawaii)

Factory body kit & Wing, 19" Racing Hart C-5's, Nitto 555's,
CompTech Springs, CompTech Exhaust, AEM CAI, Alpine 8080,
TL rear door handles in front, 5% + 30% tints,30% front windshield.

tann@pixi.com
Old 12-04-2000, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Damn this sure is a materialistic world.

Well, the TL is the best car I've ever owned.

Homes in my area cost around $300K, not including the Bel Air section they run at just over $500K. But I've seen homes go for well over 1.5 Mil. Krazy!!

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!
Old 12-04-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro

Go Gomez!

I agree that the TL is all the luxury I need w/o the hassle of expensive servicing (like BMW & Mercedes), with better road feel (than Lexus and Infinity) and with all the Honda reliability and a lot less car payment.

Its hard not to get caught up in the materialism, especially in S. Cal or Silicon Valley, where every the other car seems to be a BMW or Lexus, but knowing that I got at least that quality and more reliability makes me feel good about what I drive. Despite our small gripes, the Acura TL is a Damn good car.

For me, modding it is just a personification fo the car, not really for that much more for performance.

I'd rather save the $ and buy a new 3 bed 2 bath hime here in the Valley for the mere $800k+ that it goes for (with a 3 car garage...i hope =) )

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL
Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17 mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs
Inspire Tailights
20/30/40 tint

Y2k Honda S2k Roadster
- no mods ...yet!
Old 12-04-2000, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

$800K for 3-2 in Cali, huh?

Man, I got lucky - my Mom sold me her old, beautiful 3-2 home on wooded lot w/ pecan trees, 2-car garage and house is fully remodeled and landscaped, 2 blocks from lake for what she paid for it in 1969! How much? You don't wanna know, but the landscaping itself cost more than my car.

------------------
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
Old 12-06-2000, 01:04 AM
Racer

Wink

What are we really missing?????

FOGLIGHTS!!!
Old 12-06-2000, 04:25 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well... if i were the california lottery winner i would still be driving the tl(as a daily drive), alone with the F360 spyder(weekend drive), morgan aero8(special occasion), and a bently continental SC(when i want to smash someones house over or go golf at a country club)...why not get a s-class you ask? cas their navi sux...

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....