Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006 | 08:27 AM
Advanced

Transmission

Well guys the check engine light came on again so this time I took it too a local Acura dealer. The codes came back as P0700 and the original P1457. They said tranny needs replaced at first 4500 and I said this was BS this was one (second) only has 22K on it and you should pay to fix it. I told them the car has been service by Acura the entire time. He said let me call the Acura area rep. Well half hour later he said he would do 50/50 which he said would be 2610 (2610 + 2610 = 5220 not 4500 - I didn't say anything). I said no. I want to call Client Services I called when I got home long story short after arguing my case he said he will turn it over to a case manager and I will hear back in 24 to 48 hours. I am so pissed off right now that a rebuild from Acura (on 10/08/03) only last 22K and will not pay for another rebuild.

Will keep you posted.

Old 06-02-2006 | 08:20 AM
Advanced

Been playing phone tag with Case Manager from Acura USA.

Question how much for a rebuild tranny from Acura?
Old 06-02-2006 | 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

for the 5 speed it was like 4500
Old 06-02-2006 | 12:27 PM
Advanced

I am so pissed The so called Regional Manager "Brian Price" at Acura said that the offer stands at 50/50. I told him the car has been serviced thru Acura since it was brought in 1999 and the rebuild only has 22k on it and you will not cover the entire cost of the tranny. 22k is nothing for a tranny to have on it. He said that is the best they can do. I said well I am calling the Better Business Bureau, writning letters, calling my local TV stations because this is BS. He said fine the offer is now off the table. Bye and hung up.

The fight has just began. I will do everything I can to make his life misable!

Am I wrong guys?

I had other cars like A Toyota that last 280K on two trannies and they took care of me.

Any thoughts or ideas what else I can do? As always I appreciate it!

Old 06-02-2006 | 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

All we can say is Good Luck now. This subject is like beating a dead horese with acura. And probably wont get you any where. If you do get somewhere more power to you and good luck!
Old 06-02-2006 | 12:50 PM
Advanced

Thanks fsttyms1 for your reply!
Old 06-02-2006 | 03:16 PM
Advanced

Help???

Does everyone agree here that I should have Acura do the rebuild or should I use Cottman Transmission to rebuild it? I used AAmco once will never use them again.

Thanks guys for your feedback?
Old 06-02-2006 | 03:45 PM
On the way!

Well, all Cottman's and AAMCO's are independantly owned, so you can't really hold the sins of one against the other.

I think you can get a reputable shop (i.e. Cottman or AAMCO) to do it for less than 50% of your quote. Make sure it's a good shop.

What is the warranty from the dealer if you pay for it?
Old 06-02-2006 | 03:59 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

how many miles does your car have?
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:56 PM
Advanced

I was quoted $5200 1 year/ 12K from Acura.

99,248 first tranny went.

2nd tranny has 22K on it total miles 121,239.
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99AcuraTLAndy
I was quoted $5200 1 year/ 12K from Acura.
99,248 first tranny went.
2nd tranny has 22K on it total miles 121,239.
Wait a minute, according to a previous post, Acura quoted you $2,610, the deal that's now off the table. I'd be very surprised if either Cottman or AAMCO can beat that price.

When I had a tranny go out on my used Chevy pickup soon after I bought it, the dealer only charged me for the tranny and nothing for labor. However, the warranty was 12 mo/12,000 miles on the new tranny.

I have a '99, too and I wouldn't be happy if my tranny went, but, geez, how long is Acura supposed to warranty these trannys? IMO, you should have taken the 50/50 deal.
Old 06-02-2006 | 08:52 PM
I need 2 more gears

aamco will do a rebuild for $2,100 I believe on our cars and most others and that comes with a 1yr/12k warranty or you can upgrade warranty to 5yr/60k for a total of $2,500. someone correct me if my numbers are off.
Old 06-02-2006 | 09:20 PM
Advanced

^
|
|
----- Thanks sbuswell

Mike you missed my point. This tranny only had 22K on it. In my life time I had many tranny’s replaced and they lasted a lot longer. I had a Toyota Camry LE V6 when the tranny went at 120K Toyota rebuild the tranny and I got 160K on that tranny before it died. I had that car for 11 years and total of 280K on the car before it died for good.

When I talked to the case manager at Acura he said a 50/50 split and that is our final decision. I could not get a word in at all I ask please may I speak and I told him the point is this tranny only has 22K on it this is ridiculous and tried to explain about other cars I had but he got frustrated and said I am taking the deal off the table.

I filled out on the web a complaint to the BBB and wrote a detailed letter to Acura head Quarters in CA as well.

Also I never had to pay $2610 for rebuild tranny (that was my half before deal taken off the table now if I pay for it would be $5220 - no way to either amount)!

I am going to Cottman on Monday for a free evaluation.

Mike I don’t know where you live but I grew up in the burbs of Pittsburgh and my family still live there. Cochran has big dealership there and my brother knows Ben Cochran and he called him today and he agreed Acura didn’t handle my case correctly. However, Cochran doesn’t have an Acura dealership.
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:57 PM
Intermediate

^
|
|
----- Thanks sbuswell

Mike you missed my point. This tranny only had 22K on it. In my life time I had many tranny’s replaced and they lasted a lot longer. I had a Toyota Camry LE V6 when the tranny went at 120K Toyota rebuild the tranny and I got 160K on that tranny before it died. I had that car for 11 years and total of 280K on the car before it died for good.

When I talked to the case manager at Acura he said a 50/50 split and that is our final decision. I could not get a word in at all I ask please may I speak and I told him the point is this tranny only has 22K on it this is ridiculous and tried to explain about other cars I had but he got frustrated and said I am taking the deal off the table.

I filled out on the web a complaint to the BBB and wrote a detailed letter to Acura head Quarters in CA as well.

Also I never had to pay $2610 for rebuild tranny (that was my half before deal taken off the table now if I pay for it would be $5220 - no way to either amount)!

I am going to Cottman on Monday for a free evaluation.

Mike I don’t know where you live but I grew up in the burbs of Pittsburgh and my family still live there. Cochran has big dealership there and my brother knows Ben Cochran and he called him today and he agreed Acura didn’t handle my case correctly. However, Cochran doesn’t have an Acura dealership.

In my offense and belief, you were correct to fight it cause yeah, the price is BS and really unfair; plus it sounds like that guy mistreated you, just wanted more money or some crap. But seriously, theres so many other alternatives out there, and you shouldof tried a different method of barginning with him such as, i found a competitive price from *blah and blah for blah price*, but i can't trust you since my last rebuilt tranny died at a ridiculous 22k. Could you provide me with some insurance to gain back your trust in Acura, maybe a free extended 1 year warrenty on that tranny. WELL its a little to late for that, but anyways man! FIGHT HE GOOD FIGHT!! AND GOOD LUCK!! I'm against unfair business practices as it gives an unfair advantage to the AMERICAN PEOPLE!! LOL.

-VL
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:20 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by MistaLoganWho
In my offense and belief, you were correct to fight it cause yeah, the price is BS and really unfair; plus it sounds like that guy mistreated you, just wanted more money or some crap. But seriously, theres so many other alternatives out there, and you shouldof tried a different method of barginning with him such as, i found a competitive price from *blah and blah for blah price*, but i can't trust you since my last rebuilt tranny died at a ridiculous 22k. Could you provide me with some insurance to gain back your trust in Acura, maybe a free extended 1 year warrenty on that tranny. WELL its a little to late for that, but anyways man! FIGHT HE GOOD FIGHT!! AND GOOD LUCK!! I'm against unfair business practices as it gives an unfair advantage to the AMERICAN PEOPLE!! LOL.

-VL

What does that have to do with anything? I have had BS quotes from people of all races. I normally don't give a shit about comments like this, but what you just stated in bold above is just stupid and ignorant!
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:26 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sbuswell
What does that have to do with anything? I have had BS quotes from people of all races. I normally don't give a shit about comments like this, but what you just stated in bold above is just stupid and ignorant!
Since when is "American" a race?
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:02 AM

wtf...

A 4-spd Honda/Acura automatic transmission costs about $2500 on average, to rebuild.

Whereever you have it rebuilt, inquire the exact parts they are replacing. Some shops cut corners on rebuilds, and thus are able to provide lower prices.

If updates are avaliable to improve durability, make sure that they're performed.

I'd expect a rebuild to have the following:

1) Steels
2) Frictions
3) Pistons
4) Sealing Rings
5) Filter
6) All seals/gaskets
7) Bushings
8) Torque Converter (optional, but good idea)
9) Valve Body (optional, but good idea)

You may want to check w/Phoenixhardparts for a quote on a remanufactured unit...they sell 'em for about $1500 shipped. Depending on the local quote, it may be better to just have it rebuilt locally.
Old 06-04-2006 | 02:14 PM
Advanced

Michael that is what I thought around max $3000 to rebuild. When he siad $5200 I thought that was way to high but I didn't say anything because they where calling the service rep. to see if they would pay for the whole rebuild because the second tranny only had 22K.

Tomorrow Cottman is going to give it me a free valuation on it.

Will go from there. One day at a time now.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-04-2006 | 04:31 PM
On the way!

A 4 speed?

I will tow it from/to NJ and do it for less than $3k. If you're planning on visiting Orlando, tow it down and drive it back.

I own a Cottman - so the nationwide warranty applies.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:31 PM

$5000 for a factory remanufactured unit, installed, is reasonable.

I wonder how much it'll cost to have the car transported to Orlando...I assume around $500?

You can trust fla-tls to do a good job...he's an honest guy.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:50 PM

Shoot...I just got a quote from several transport companies...

$900 (on average) is what they're asking for to transport the TL from NJ's capital to Orlando.

Unless fla-tls has some hookup, a local shop may offer a better deal.
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Where every thing went wrong was getting upset with the case manager, they are the ones that ultimatly make the decisions. I would have tried to go above his head. (which i did once, but was hard) it took many polite phone calls
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:36 PM

As they say, don't flunk the attitude test...
Old 06-04-2006 | 08:56 PM

Hmm...just got a quote from a shipping company for $500...NJ to Orlando. May be a good deal after all....
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:35 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by Michael Wan
Hmm...just got a quote from a shipping company for $500...NJ to Orlando. May be a good deal after all....
That - plus your previous quote is a winner. If I can tow it down, fix it, and tow it back for that amount, he should be able to get it down locally for cheaper.

If not - let me know and I promise we'll knock it out for you in short order!
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks fla-tls. My brother knows a guy in the burbs of Pittsburgh that owns a few Cottmans. So, Bill (that owns a few Cottmans) and my brother had a conference call with Steve who owns the the one I am going to tomorrow and told him to work with me the best he could. I was in a meeting at work and couldn't listen in. We will see what happens tomorrow.

fsttyms1 I tried to treat the case manager with repect but he kept talking down to me and treated me like a HS drop out. Like he was god or something. I tried to go over his head to his Supervisor and they told me only he could talk to him which is BS. I been working in the corporate world for over 22 years and I am a computer programmer manager and I know that I can talk to the supervisor or go over his head but what they where telling me was BS.

BTW, fsttyms1 how did you get over the case managers head?

Guy's thanks and as always I appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:52 PM

Remind me to take a vacation to Orlando when I need the VB in my TAAT done...

Since we do not know how much hard part damage there is to his transmission, though I still think a replacement VB and/or TC is a good idea, $2500 is probably in the ballpark. Add $1000 to transport the car...lets hope he can find a good job for < $3500 locally.
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:55 PM
On the way!

Good deal. I think you'll get good service from them. If not, let me know and I'll always be here to hook you up.

The prices you're getting from the dealer are outrageous

Remember, Cottman can sell you a Fidelity warranty to bump your shop warranty from 12/12 to 36/50 for $379. It's an offer that's chain-wide, so if he doesn't offer it - press him on it. It's a good deal and only has a $100 deductible.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:00 PM
Advanced

Thanks fla-tls for the information and the support!
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:04 PM

fla-tls,

Does the aftermarket have updated parts avaliable for the 4-spd and 5-spd units now?

How much does the "lifetime" warranty run? Under the "lifetime" warranty, how often are fluid services required? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks fla-tls. My brother knows a guy in the burbs of Pittsburgh that owns a few Cottmans. So, Bill (that owns a few Cottmans) and my brother had a conference call with Steve who owns the the one I am going to tomorrow and told him to work with me the best he could. I was in a meeting at work and couldn't listen in. We will see what happens tomorrow.

fsttyms1 I tried to treat the case manager with repect but he kept talking down to me and treated me like a HS drop out. Like he was god or something. I tried to go over his head to his Supervisor and they told me only he could talk to him which is BS. I been working in the corporate world for over 22 years and I am a computer programmer manager and I know that I can talk to the supervisor or go over his head but what they where telling me was BS.

BTW, fsttyms1 how did you get over the case managers head?

Guy's thanks and as always I appreciate the feedback!
I dont really know how i got above them. It was probably because my first 2 were really early off and they hadnt yet done any of the recall stuff or warranty extension. I just kept calling and bringing stuff up and asking if there was someone higher up to get incontact with and eventually i was passed on up. i was passed up a total of 3 times. to a lady that was really nice and worked with me.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:12 PM
On the way!

fla-tls,

Does the aftermarket have updated parts avaliable for the 4-spd and 5-spd units now?

How much does the "lifetime" warranty run? Under the "lifetime" warranty, how often are fluid services required? Thanks.
I don't offer a "lifetime" warranty. Be wary of those that do. Under the 36/50 extension from Fidelity there are no requiremnents for fluid changes - and the transfer fee if you sell the vehicle is +/-$30. You could leave my shop and never get the fluid changed, and still be covered.

I've done a lot of 4 speed Hondas, but no Acuras yet. I'd work hand-in-hand with anyone that needed repairs on what parts were available.

Be assured - I'd post pics from anything relevant we repair - if wanted.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:19 PM
Advanced

fla-tls do you know if Cottman's would have the aftermarket updated parts avaliable for the 4-spd?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:25 PM
On the way!

fla-tls do you know if Cottman's would have the aftermarket updated parts avaliable for the 4-spd?

Thanks
I didn't really think there was any major design issue on the 4 speed. I'd have to check my sources for updates (if any).

To answer your general question - yes. Any Cottman should have access to any updates - if they look for them.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:33 PM

I ask about the lifetime warranty as Aamco now offers one, and as you told me, they joined hands with Cottmans. Something that Andy may want to consider....

Wow! 4-spd Hondas? Have you done any 6-gen Accord 4 bangers? How long are these things lasting before failure?
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:35 PM
Advanced

Thanks.

The reason I ask fla-tls was I read something that fsttyms1 posted about an update part for the tranny if my memory serves me correctly a while ago Feb 06 or Feb 05 I think.....
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:35 PM

Btw, Cottman's website says they offer lifetime warranty, but I guess that varys depending on the owner of the franchise:

What types of guarantees does Cottman offer?

All of our work is guaranteed. Depending on the extent of the work required, Cottman offers several warranties from 6 month/ 6000 miles up to a Lifetime Guarantee, if the vehicle qualifies. Our guarantees are tied to the work performed and are honored at our locations coast to coast.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:49 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

FLA-TLS - How much do you charge to rebuilt the 99 4 spd tranny, because im located in orlando also. My tranny didn't break and god forbid my tranny does break, i'm just asking incase I ever need to get it rebuilt. ??

Also, I have aftermarket warranty from Warrantech (repair master) until 103k miles, have you ever heard of them?
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:53 PM

You have to tear the unit apart to be given an accurate estimate..as cost is dependent on the amount of hard part damage...
Old 06-05-2006 | 02:06 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by BLaCk Acc
FLA-TLS - How much do you charge to rebuilt the 99 4 spd tranny, because im located in orlando also. My tranny didn't break and god forbid my tranny does break, i'm just asking incase I ever need to get it rebuilt. ??

Also, I have aftermarket warranty from Warrantech (repair master) until 103k miles, have you ever heard of them?
You have to tear the unit apart to be given an accurate estimate..as cost is dependent on the amount of hard part damage...
What he said.

No - I've never heard of warrantech, but I'm sure I'd have no problem processing a warranty claim for them.

Quick Reply: Transmission