touch free carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touch free carwash?

I was just wondering if you guys use these services?? Both the ones with brushers, and the ones that spray water only? Would frequent use of touch free carwash joints be bad for our paint?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There's a touchless, jet wash in my neighborhood that I am using until I have a chance to put on my Zaino. It works fine, I've had no swirls in the paint so far. Once I start using Zaino, I'll be washing the car by hand with Z7 and will thus stop using the touchless.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:13 PM
DHB
Instructor

It's always best to wash by hand using the proper type of towels and cleansers. I would NEVER use a "touch" type auto wash with the brushes or strips under any circumstance. The touchless auto washes seem to be good at preventing swirl marks while providing a decent cleaning of the vehicle but the blowers that dry your car at the end of the cycle are the worry. The air coming out of some of those can exceed 200mph in some cases and that could damage and pull away some of your exterior seals and trim.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: touch free carwash?

Originally posted by torqueaholic
I was just wondering if you guys use these services?? Both the ones with brushers, and the ones that spray water only? Would frequent use of touch free carwash joints be bad for our paint?
Not all the touchless work the same. My wife thinks I'm a freak for knowing this, but I only go to places that have the Laserwash 4000 model, made by a company in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It's the only one that get's the car clean. Not all places have those units.

Trust me, I've tried many of them in the Chicago area. I'm a freak about keeping my car clean, especially in the winter with all the salt they put on the roads around here.

When the weather is warm I only handwash.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: touch free carwash?

Originally posted by goaub

Not all the touchless work the same. My wife thinks I'm a freak for knowing this, but I only go to places that have the Laserwash 4000 model, made by a company in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.pdqinc.com/laserwash-4000/splash.shtml

I don't like touch free that much, thus is better than regular brush type, they don't ever seem to take all the dirt out. The air blowers never do a good job, so when I do this kind of touch free car wash I always dry the car by hand and you could still remove more dirt with the contact of chamois(drying towel).

I have used the laserwash-4000 or very similar and it does seem to be the best.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:23 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I only do 100% HAND WASH!!
Old 04-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by DHB
blowers that dry your car at the end of the cycle are the worry. The air coming out of some of those can exceed 200mph in some cases and that could damage and pull away some of your exterior seals and trim.
The touchless I use has no dryer, luckily. I hand-dry it.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Banned

Not all the touchless work the same. My wife thinks I'm a freak for knowing this, but I only go to places that have the Laserwash 4000 model, made by a company in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It's the only one that get's the car clean. Not all places have those units.

Trust me, I've tried many of them in the Chicago area. I'm a freak about keeping my car clean, especially in the winter with all the salt they put on the roads around here.

hey goaub, I work in mundelein, so i'm there every weekday! what gas station offers this laserwash system???
Old 04-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro

Same here goaub. Which one do you usually go to during the winter? I normally go to the Mobile gas station on Rt.60 right by Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills. They have the Laser 4000 model.

axleback
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Advanced

AXLEBACK!

Hey there... I tried this under a different post, but what dealer do you use and where are you? I'm in Elgin/St. Charles and work in Hanover Park...

I too would like to hear where this magical super-safe wash is for winter!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Advanced

Beware - alot of the "touchless" car washes use a plastic bristle BROOM to get road grime, bugs, etc off the front of the car prior to running it though the wash. Just another reason to DIY.

Brad
Old 04-18-2002, 10:09 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: touch free carwash?

Originally posted by Bitium

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.pdqinc.com/laserwash-4000/splash.shtml

I don't like touch free that much, thus is better than regular brush type, they don't ever seem to take all the dirt out. The air blowers never do a good job, so when I do this kind of touch free car wash I always dry the car by hand and you could still remove more dirt with the contact of chamois(drying towel).

I have used the laserwash-4000 or very similar and it does seem to be the best.
Sorry for not responding sooner. Work is picking up so I'm not here that often.

Yep, that's the one. When it's warm I always handwash, but when I do use a touchless, I go to places that have that one. It's the only one that gets the car clean.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by axleback

Same here goaub. Which one do you usually go to during the winter? I normally go to the Mobile gas station on Rt.60 right by Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills. They have the Laser 4000 model.

axleback
Hey axleback,

I usually go to the Mobile on on Route 176 (east of Milwaukee) in Libertyville. They're by the Liberty Auto Mall and they are about the cheapest out there. I knew that the Mobil by Hawthorn got a new system, but I hadn't checked it out. That may be more convenient for me from now on.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by torqueaholic

hey goaub, I work in mundelein, so i'm there every weekday! what gas station offers this laserwash system???
Hey torqueaholic,

Sorry for not responding sooner. See my previous post.

Other stations in the north suburbs that I know of that have it.

Amoco/BP on Dundee and Sanders in Northbrook
Amoco/BP on Hintz & Toute 83 in Wheeling
Amoco/BP on Buffalo Grove Road & Route 83 in Buffalo Grove
Old 04-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Racer

Originally posted by kapsig1
Beware - alot of the "touchless" car washes use a plastic bristle BROOM to get road grime, bugs, etc off the front of the car prior to running it though the wash. Just another reason to DIY.

Brad
Very common in the winter when road salt is present. As for DIY, it's tougher now that we're under a drought emergency (no car washes ).
Old 04-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kapsig1

Brad
Then it wouldn't be "touchless" would it? I'm confused. I've never seen a brush in an automated touchless carwash, regardless of brand.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by songoku
I only do 100% HAND WASH!!
....I wished I lived in Cali :o .....man, you guys have perfect weather over there.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:48 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by fahoumh
....I wished I lived in Cali :o .....man, you guys have perfect weather over there.
You got that right!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Comptech Freak

the new shell car washes are using that one...it's great but expensive!! only worth for winter use....
touchless is great...only this new type of touchless....

don't ever go to the soft cloth or ordinary ones...those cloths will streatch ur car badly

but u gotta watchout as the wheels of Type S are easily to have stretches as they go thru the rail in the car wash....coz the tire sidewalls cannot protect the wheel's surface
Old 04-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: touch free carwash?

Sorry for not responding sooner. Work is picking up so I'm not here that often.

Yep, that's the one. When it's warm I always handwash, but when I do use a touchless, I go to places that have that one. It's the only one that gets the car clean.
Thanks bro, I really appreciate it! I'll go there tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by samkws

but u gotta watchout as the wheels of Type S are easily to have stretches as they go thru the rail in the car wash....coz the tire sidewalls cannot protect the wheel's surface
Excellent point! I always make sure that I pull as far over to the right on the rail.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Advanced

When I was younger, I worked at a full service soft cloth carwash. I would always wash my new 1994 Civic (it was free) at least 1 time a week, sometimes 2 times a week. I did this for 2 years. I also waxed the car every couple months. The car's finish looked great for 5 years!!

As for the last 2 years, I stopped taking care of her and started washing her only a couple times a year, she was pretty oxidized by the time I traded up for a 2000 TL (4 weeks ago).

Moral of the story is that i'm not that concerned about the type of wash, as long as the car wash's cloths aren't dirty and clean terry towels are used to dry it.

But that's my opinion from my experiences.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

The Mobil stations have those LaserWash 4000's around here....
Old 04-20-2002, 02:38 AM
/etc/car

The brushless car wash around here lets you drive in, shooting water under the body and into the tires as you approach. Then an arm moves around the entire car for a low pressure pre-soak, a low pressure hot soap, 2 high pressure passes, optionally a low pressure hot clearcoat protectant, and then another "spot-free rinse", which is basically another low pressure pass.

It's an arm that has 3 legs on it which spin in a circle to wash the sides of the car and a rod across the top which sprays the roof.

Does a really nice job for $5...$6 with the clearcoat protectant.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SwampGas
The brushless car wash around here lets you drive in, shooting water under the body and into the tires as you approach. Then an arm moves around the entire car for a low pressure pre-soak, a low pressure hot soap, 2 high pressure passes, optionally a low pressure hot clearcoat protectant, and then another "spot-free rinse", which is basically another low pressure pass.

It's an arm that has 3 legs on it which spin in a circle to wash the sides of the car and a rod across the top which sprays the roof.

Does a really nice job for $5...$6 with the clearcoat protectant.
That's the Laserwas 4000.

By the way, save your money on the clearcoat protectant. Nothing takes the place of a good polish and waxing.