TL Type S or BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL Type S or BMW 530i

Hey guys, I just realized that a decently loaded BMW 530 series (NO Nav, however with the Sports Premium Package) is around $45K. The TL Type S, will probably be around $35K with NAV. The Type S is still a great deal, but if you want to upgrade from the TL and can afford the extra $10K, then the 530i is a great upgrade. I am sure the 530i is a hot car to have, but maybe some more room to negotiate with BMW as opposed to the hot TL Type S. Just a thought. More of a dream for the BMW :-)
Old 03-01-2001, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
530i. This car handles great with the optional sports premium package. Take a test drive and you will understand. There is no comparison with a BMW.

My will be delivered on 3/27.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Forget to mention that 530i price is very hard to negotiate as well. Generally the dealer will not stock many 530i. And to find the car you wanted you probably would end up ordering it. If you order your car now, the delivery date will be around june.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Cool

///M3
Old 03-01-2001, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chiawei:
Forget to mention that 530i price is very hard to negotiate as well. Generally the dealer will not stock many 530i. And to find the car you wanted you probably would end up ordering it. If you order your car now, the delivery date will be around june.

Chia,

Thank you for the advise, since I was wondering if there was any way to negotiate the price for a new BMW 5 Series. Did you get anything else besides the Sports Premium Package? I will have to opt for the Automatica and not sure if the premium sound system is worth it? Fill me in on more details on how you went about buying yours.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I ordered following packages on my 530iA

1. Sport Premium
2. Convinence pkg.
3. Xeon lights
4. Navigation system
5. Premium Hi-fi (much better than regular unit)
6. Park Distance Control
7. Rear Side Airbag

I ordered a car through a friend of my that sells BMW. Price negotiation is non-exsitence in Bay Area. I went to 3 different dealer, all of the response was MSRP with delivery in late April. I was lucky that my friend did not make any money on my deal and give me $2000 off MSRP. Also, he was kind enough to find a 530i that is in production line that has those options. (basically, he stole the car from antoher dealer that has already ordered it).

Since then due to economy slow down, I have heard that you can negotiate about $2000 off MSRP.

If you want to get the best price you can ask Steve at eurobuyer.com. He specializes in BMW. I getting my CD changer from him at a very low price.

You can contact him at Sbmw635csi@aol.com.

regards
Old 03-02-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro

530i. This car handles great with the optional sports premium package. Take a test drive and you will understand. There is no comparison with a BMW.

My will be delivered on 3/27.
I would like to qualify the "Handles great" comment with "Handles great in bone-dry weather".....RWD BMW's (and also the RWD Lexus IS300), handles miserably in anything other than bone-dry weather, and if we are talking of snow, then it is extremely squirelly and dangerous.....the TL on the other hand, due to its FWD nature, would not handle as well as the BMW in dry weather conditions....but would handle much better than the RWD BMW and the IS300 in anything that is not bone-dry weather....unless you opt for the AWD BMW 3-series..

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-02-2001, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by hunter001:
I would like to qualify the "Handles great" comment with "Handles great in bone-dry weather".....RWD BMW's (and also the RWD Lexus IS300), handles miserably in anything other than bone-dry weather, and if we are talking of snow, then it is extremely squirelly and dangerous.....the TL on the other hand, due to its FWD nature, would not handle as well as the BMW in dry weather conditions....but would handle much better than the RWD BMW and the IS300 in anything that is not bone-dry weather....unless you opt for the AWD BMW 3-series..

just my 2c

Yeah, just ask AC

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Mugen Grill on order
Old 03-02-2001, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
You will cringe on those snowy days in Jersey when its dark out and you have to drive that BMW home in the snow.
Old 03-02-2001, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Have to disagree here.

1. the 5 series with DSC is very stable and handles decent in bad weather. Yes i know that in certain severe weather conditions, the RWD could be harder to handle, but its not to a point that would be worse than a TL. I already had my shares of close call in my TL when the car just slid across rain in bad weather too.

2. Snow is only 1/4 of year in NJ, and its not like that you can't drive the car completely in snow. Given the choices, I would still take 5 series over TL-S.

Last, I live in bay area, I do not have to worry about snow.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by doopstr:
You will cringe on those snowy days in Jersey when its dark out and you have to drive that BMW home in the snow.
Hey guys thanks for the warnings on the rear wheel drive, however like member; Chia says with the BMW Traction control, I think that it can more than compensate for the TL's Front wheel drive & TCS. BMW must have taken these bad weather days into mind, since so many BMW's on the road here in NJ. I guess you would really need a 4 Wheel drive SUV or hybrid to get the best traction.

By the way it's going to snow big time they say this Sunday!
Old 03-02-2001, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I ordered following packages on my 530iA

1. Sport Premium
2. Convinence pkg.
3. Xeon lights
4. Navigation system
5. Premium Hi-fi (much better than regular unit)
6. Park Distance Control
7. Rear Side Airbag

I ordered a car through a friend of my that sells BMW. Price negotiation is non-exsitence in Bay Area. I went to 3 different dealer, all of the response was MSRP with delivery in late April. I was lucky that my friend did not make any money on my deal and give me $2000 off MSRP. Also, he was kind enough to find a 530i that is in production line that has those options. (basically, he stole the car from antoher dealer that has already ordered it).

Since then due to economy slow down, I have heard that you can negotiate about $2000 off MSRP.

If you want to get the best price you can ask Steve at eurobuyer.com. He specializes in BMW. I getting my CD changer from him at a very low price.

You can contact him at Sbmw635csi@aol.com.

regards
Chia,

Thank you for all your info. It is most helpful. I will probably just settle for the Sports Premium Package / Automatic & In Dash CD Player. I wonder if the Premium Sound upgrade is the Harmon Kardon system?

I think at times you just buy an item for the service from the salesperson to the service manager. You want an enjoyable experience too and I would pay extra for that. Eventhough I hear after all the regular warranty maitenance service, that it does cost a bundle to maintain these cars after the warranty is over.
Old 03-03-2001, 05:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Good luck on your 530i purchase.

I believe that the premium hi-fi upgrade is made by Harmon Kardon.

Old 03-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Just can't justify the price difference for the Bimmer 530i. I must say, the 5 series BMW is one of the best looking vehicles, especially that M5. However, for me I usually keep my vehicles for about 8 years, (use the vehicle as primary transportation for 4 years, and then as a second vehicle for the next 4). keeping this in mind, I would not like to pay for maintence and repairs on a BMW after 4 years, as I hear its a killer. I also think Honda/Acura are more reliable, based on firsthand knowledge of these vehicles, and freinds accounts of their BMWs. For me the gap in price becomes even further, when taking into account service and repair costs.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by BLEXV6:
Just can't justify the price difference for the Bimmer 530i. I must say, the 5 series BMW is one of the best looking vehicles, especially that M5. However, for me I usually keep my vehicles for about 8 years, (use the vehicle as primary transportation for 4 years, and then as a second vehicle for the next 4). keeping this in mind, I would not like to pay for maintence and repairs on a BMW after 4 years, as I hear its a killer. I also think Honda/Acura are more reliable, based on firsthand knowledge of these vehicles, and freinds accounts of their BMWs. For me the gap in price becomes even further, when taking into account service and repair costs.
BLE, I have to agree with you, hard to justify paying that much more for a car that will cost even more for regular service in the long run, but on the other hand BMW quality is still very good, the service is excellent (although expensive) and overall it is a car with a lot of the latest & greatest gadgets - cutting edge. I love Japanese cars and have always owned one, but maybe I just want to find out what is so great about this BMW. 5 Series is a very prestigous car.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Talking

I agree that BMW would cost a lot to own after 3 years. That's why you do not keep a bimmer for more than 3 at maximum.

Since I typically would change car with 1-2 years, this is not a problem.