TL stereo voted 10 best on Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there an extra set of RCA holes in the back of our stock head units? I just wanna add an amp and a sub.
Our car definitely needs a set of tweeters in the front, just like the CL's. I don't see why they didn't. I wonder if one could just install a set of tweeters using the CL's components. That way you don't have to cut an extra hole in the door.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:44 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
are you kidding me?
the Maxima 6 speaker boses (4th gen, 99 and prior) are better than ours

I agree. I had an 89, 86, and 87 Max, and even though they were Bose, they sounded great. When I got my 99TL, Ithe first thing I noticed was the stereo was not as good as my Max. When I got my TL-S, I was pleased that they added the 6 CD changer, but the sound was the same...flat, muddy, and even with the treble turned up, sounded OK, but not great.

And no, I am not some youngster out to shake the public at a traffic light.

There should be an optional audio upgrade to a car like the TL-S. That's all. That way, those that are happy could keep the BOSE, and those that want more can pay and get it.

Geez, lighten up folks...

:-jon
Old 04-29-2002, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Cool Louder

I think it could be a little louder. But maybe it's because of all that Billy Idol, Thompson Twins and U2 that I cranked in High School. ;-)
Old 04-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
Acura stereo....hah!

I don't think the stereo is crisp at all. Mine and the car I test drove both had muffled sound. And as far as bass goes, the TL isn't bad but it doesn't compare to the AC Delco stock units. When had a Beretta (thank goodness I moved into Acuras) people would always ask if I had a woofer in the trunk. I said it before....maybe Bose should stick to home stereo. But at least Acura gave it a shot, 'cause I've heard worse.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by badazzTL
I don't see how people complain about the stock Bose system. The factory system sounds better than most of my friends aftermarket stuff. I have no complaints.
Then your friends have $hitty setups!

Originally posted by neuronbob
Methinks I struck a nerve...

As for coming from aftermarket, my last car stereo was the stock DaimlerChrysler 8-speaker CD/cassette system I had in my Intrepid. It absolutely rocked. It sounded so good that when offered the upgrade to the DC Infinity Gold system, I said "no" and wasn't sorry. Once I get my suspension done, I plan on having another EQ installed so I can have slightly more bass instead of the muddiness I hear now. That's really my only problem with the TL stereo.
I agree -- one lady RPH I work with has like a 97 Sebring Coupe...
its only got 5 speakrs - IT FVCKIN ROCKS!!!!

Originally posted by bobatimez
Sorry, but some of you are acting purely moronic. what are you guys who are saying that the stereo sucks basing your opinion on? edmunds was checking for clarity and quality. not the ability to "bump" crap. please explain what makes you guys think a system is good?
im basing it on cranking non bass heavy songs and it sounding like sh!t
Old 04-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Instructor

I came from a car with an aftermarket stereo system, nothing special. When I first test drove the TL-S, I told the salesman that the stereo just doesn't cut it!! He agreed. After driving the car for a month, I have noticed that I get absolutely NO distortion at any volume level, but I'm sure the bose eq has a lot to do with that. The stock system has no highs!! It has barely any bass (for my taste) but after getting out of my father's car, the stock system in my TL-S doesn't sound half bad. Some CDs I play actually sound great.....but I'm probably just getting used to it! You have to look from outside of the box.....if you were an average Joe who never bought a car and upgraded your audio system.....the TL-S's bose system isn't that bad.

BUT.....I'm looking forward to my visit with Streeteffectz!!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by BJsTLS
I came from a car with an aftermarket stereo system, nothing special. When I first test drove the TL-S, I told the salesman that the stereo just doesn't cut it!! He agreed. After driving the car for a month, I have noticed that I get absolutely NO distortion at any volume level, but I'm sure the bose eq has a lot to do with that. The stock system has no highs!! It has barely any bass (for my taste) but after getting out of my father's car, the stock system in my TL-S doesn't sound half bad. Some CDs I play actually sound great.....but I'm probably just getting used to it! You have to look from outside of the box.....if you were an average Joe who never bought a car and upgraded your audio system.....the TL-S's bose system isn't that bad.

BUT.....I'm looking forward to my visit with Streeteffectz!!

I didn't notice some songs are better and worse than others -- depends on the whole type of bass....
low reverberating sounds good and techno stuff
Old 05-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Advanced

i think the system in the TL more than adequate. it sounds better than most of the stock systems out there. does anyone know what kind of speakers are in the doors? i want to know if they are 2-ways...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

I just bought my 99 tl. I came from a 2000 VW Jetta with a Monsoon system. The Jetta system was better. It was crisper and thumped louder. Now if I can get my BASS CDS to work in this damn car I could make a better comparison. But the Monsoon was superiot.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 AM
03' NBP TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the oem stereo is good for stock. wish it had more base, but then again i could just get a sub.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Race Director

I would never replace the OEM HU because then you would lose the steering wheel controls which I absoutely love. I got so used to them and it really stinks when I get in others peoples cars and its not there. I think its a really nice feature.

Btw I love 4 year old threads.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:01 AM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
...I think its a really nice ..Btw I love 4 year old threads.
I had a 2001 Maxima GLE w/ the Blose stereo pkg...it crushed the TL's.

I will prob leave mine alone and deal with it though...tell ya what makes it sound better, turn it off and turn the motor on at about 5.5k rpm. That part is way better than the GLE!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Well... is that an "Upgrade" system on the Grd Chrk.? If it is... it doesn't count.

For the money I paid, the stock TL-s system is good enough. Of course ift could be better (I have not read the article yet), I do suspect that it is talking about stock for stock, though.

Originally Posted by rfrys
I'm not a big fan of our stock system either. My girlfriend has a Grand Cherokee with the Infinity Gold system and it kicks a$$.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Goon!

The car needs tweeters and more bass! The sound quality is good but it needs more speakers. The TSX sound system is very good in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommyBoiSxty9
are you kidding me?
the Maxima 6 speaker boses (4th gen, 99 and prior) are better than ours

We need tweeters.... and i am sooooo sick of the rattle in my roof when any bass is on -- i hope the dealer will fix it next appt. even tho im outta warranty - cuz i complained last time butr thye said they couldnt find it and its gotten worse

you are out of your mind. my 4th gen had bose and it was NO WHERE near the quality of the TL's.

also, your roof rattling from bass is an isolated case, this isnt something we are ALL experiencing, so quit acting like its a problem with tl's.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Black-Balled
I had a 2001 Maxima GLE w/ the Blose stereo pkg...it crushed the TL's.

I will prob leave mine alone and deal with it though...tell ya what makes it sound better, turn it off and turn the motor on at about 5.5k rpm. That part is way better than the GLE!
I wasnt saying the stereo was really nice ( I would say its average) i was saying the feature of the wheel controls is really nice.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Bambo2888
you are out of your mind. my 4th gen had bose and it was NO WHERE near the quality of the TL's.

also, your roof rattling from bass is an isolated case, this isnt something we are ALL experiencing, so quit acting like its a problem with tl's.
I think your out of yours. My buddies stock 99 kills my TL. His has Bass, Mid bass, and Highs. The TL only has sloppy bass. The TL does not have quality. Its manufactured sound thats not very good, fairly flat and unemotional.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I agree that the Bose system in the 1996-1999 Maximas sounded superior to that in the TL.. but I love my TL's Bose system.

That said, we're living 5 years in the past with this thread. We're talking about the day when Bob had an 02 TL-P. Since then he's written a 50,000 mile review on a 2004 TL he bought and has since moved on to write about a few months worth on his new RL. This thread is WAY old.