TL-s vs IS 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-s vs IS 300

I've narrowed my new car choice down to the 03 Acura 3.2 tl type s w/nav and a 03 Lexus IS 300 power/leather package...anybody have any honest comparisons between these cars?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Racer

I also considered the IS300 before I bought the TLs. I could not fathom spending $40K for a similarly equipped IS300 and only walk away with less then an anemic 200 hp. Having owned a 98 Honda Civic EX, I felt like I was simply driving in an exact copy of it with a bit more power and a lot better handling. I was NOT impressed with this car at all. Besides the fact that it is much smaller then the TLs. Honestly, why wouldn’t a person just buy a RSX type S over a IS300, they are pretty much the same car and the RSX is one of the best handling FWD cars made matching the IS300. Same exact car, save $20K
Old 11-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by y2ks2k
I also considered the IS300 before I bought the TLs. I could not fathom spending $40K for a similarly equipped IS300 and only walk away with less then an anemic 200 hp. Having owned a 98 Honda Civic EX, I felt like I was simply driving in an exact copy of it with a bit more power and a lot better handling. I was NOT impressed with this car at all. Besides the fact that it is much smaller then the TLs. Honestly, why wouldn’t a person just buy a RSX type S over a IS300, they are pretty much the same car and the RSX is one of the best handling FWD cars made matching the IS300. Same exact car, save $20K
My thoughts exactly
Old 11-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Ya I drove the IS when I was getting my TLS, it is a little **** box with a nice stereo and good handling, I hear they have a lot of problems after a while too, also I didnt see where you were from, but in the snow they prettey much just sit there spinning.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

well in short the is300 handles a lot better, but is slower and much smaller than the tls. it's more expensive too if you want to match all the options, etc... if you talk about all the mods down the road the is300 will win, but value-wise the tls is still the winner.

and blacktls420, what problems you referring to? i know couple of people having the car for some time and their cars hold up to the name of toyota/lexus
Old 11-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, i just test drove the IS300 today..lol. i thought it handles nice but it is a really slow car. at first i was wanted the IS but now since i drove it:yack: crap.
I told the salesman i wanted the IS and i would give him a call back. than he wandered off saying "Acura just isn't a Lexus, i Mean it just Shi*" Im like OK u a$$
Old 11-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

IS300 is a teeny tiny little overpriced ****box. Fine if you are a rich midget with a low IQ.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:29 PM
Racer

its a civic with a lexus sign on it, simple as that, i drove it and the handling cannot be better then teh TLS, ive driven both cars in same day for about an hour period and i missed the TLS when i was in that expensive CIVIC, and what do u mean by the mods the IS would win, if u take the exact same mods and put them on the TLS, like intake and so forth, the TLS would still win, more power to the wheels simple as that..
Old 11-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Racer

IS300 = corolla on steroids
Old 11-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Comptech Freak

well...
IS has sightly better handling and typical lexus grade quality...

TL has superior power compare to IS and typical honda quality...
Old 11-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

haha i guess i will hafta speak, since i had a TL-S and just got an IS last week...
2003 TL-S w/ navi vs 2002 5-speed IS300 w/ navi

performance: TL-S 260HP just kicks ass!!! the IS can't compare. however the IS does have decent amount of power. the manual is fun to drive. plus when i get my turbo or super charger, its all over the IS is more stable at high speeds (lower drag coefficient). the IS is rear wheel drive compared to TL's front wheel drive. the IS launches better, the TL will do better in rain and snow.

handling: stock vs stock, IS is MUCH better than TL-S...considering size and weight...makes sense. however, the TL-S with springs, sways and strut can compete with a stock IS. stock IS ride is harsher than TL-S. the IS has better and thinner tires, grips better, and looks more aggressive.

transmission: the TL transmission is nice. but it might fail...the IS transmission is smooth for a manul. dunno auto.

safety: the IS has better braking. the IS has two more airbags (side curtain airbags). the TL-S has sensors to turn off airbags when someone leans on it or if a person is too short, the IS doesn't. IS has daytime running lights.

interior: both are nice. the IS leather is nicer, personally i like the red lighting better than the yellowish lighting in the TL. the TL-S has A LOT A LOT more space. more comfortable. the IS doesn't have memory seats. the TL has lumbar support (doesnt do much thou). the homelink on the IS works better than the TL.

exterior: depends on your preferrence. the TL-S is more class...the IS is more sport. personally i liked my TL-S, dropped, with kit, with clear corners and exhaust tips better than my stock IS. but i'm gettin drop and kit soon too, so i dunno what it'll be like then.

sound system: stock about the same. the IS has tweeters. the TL has stock sub. but the stock sub doesn't do much. after adding the same JL12" sub to both cars, the outcome is similar.

navi: TL has touch screen, IS doesnt. the TL navi can be operated while driving, the IS can't. the positioning of the IS navi is cooler the IS one has some more options (i think). the IS one shows a clearer/more detailed turn indicators. the TL onstar is cool. the IS navi recalculates A LOT faster.

other stuff:
-the IS has a small center armrest storage thing...but a bigger glove compartment.
-the IS has one touch sunroof
-TL's turning circle is TOO big
-IS has full size spare
-IS has a small trunk (my sub has to fit in sideways )
-the TL is more "user friendly" (easier controls, steering wheel mounted controls, etc.
-the gas mileage is about the same
-the IS has more aftermarket support

ask me if you have any other specific questions
Old 11-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

oh and by the way, i got my TL-S for more expensive than my IS ($36k out the door vs. $34k out the door)...on the market now, the TL-S is cheaper though (approx $34k OTD for TL-S, and approx $36k OTD for 03 IS300 with similar options)
Old 11-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

corolla on steroids...that's a good one...I read an article in edmunds.com which called the tl and tl-s nothing more than dressed up accords
Old 11-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TL-s vs IS 300

Originally posted by acurasouthfl
I've narrowed my new car choice down to the 03 Acura 3.2 tl type s w/nav and a 03 Lexus IS 300 power/leather package...anybody have any honest comparisons between these cars?
IS300??:yack:

Personally, i don't like any parts of it. Back in March when i first shop for cars. My three choices were. 1)Infiniti G-35 2) Lexus IS300 3) Acura Tls
i went down to the lexus dealer and take a look at the IS, the design was somewhat attrative. But just a look in the inside, and the sticker price. I walked right out to the Acura dealer which is like half a mile away. Test drove the TL-s and i liked it. Then traveled about 1/4 mile to Infiniti dealer and took a look at the G-35. Everyone was looking at it and test driving it. I think that was the first week it came out or something. go inside and talk to the cocky saleguy. He didnt wanted to hand over the key for me to test drive it since he probably thought i was still a teen with no money. So i went to another saleguy and he gave me the key. Test drove, and i liked it too. Ask about the pricing. and the stupid a*ssh*le went to inifinti.com and show me the msrp pirce. and with the options i want is comes out to be somewhere 34k!!
i ask him can he go down a little say like about 1k or even 500. He refused. I was like wtf. Nobody buys car with a msrp price. So i walked out of that one too. Went back next day to an acura dealer that is closer to home and got my Tls. And guess what? Just as i got i car home, the *ssh*le called me and said that he can sell the one in the showroom for 30k!! i just hung up and went outside to check out my shiny Tls
Old 11-02-2002, 08:53 PM
Racer

honestly, an IS300 looks cheap...Sure its a lexus, but it looks exactly like a 94 accord with altezza rear lights. I would take my TL-S anyday against an IS300. I mean its just not appealing at all and i'm only 17 yrs old...
Old 11-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

is300 are nice though. i never been been in one, but if it is built with lexus quality, it must be good. all in all, you are paying the extra money for rear wheel drive and the lexus name. If acura stays on a good path, they will one day do the same thing. The new es3 sucks, and people still buy it. They are ugly, same hp for like 8 years! They are basically crap, well built, and carry the lexus name. Thats the only reason why they sell.
Honda better hope their name will sell their new accords, those things are ugly!
Old 11-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Racer

corolla on steroids...that's a good one...I read an article in edmunds.com which called the tl and tl-s nothing more than dressed up accords
You act like being called an Accord is a bad thing, especially since it has won more Car & Driver top 10 picks then any other car made... I think its track record has been almost flawless.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally posted by y2ks2k

You act like being called an Accord is a bad thing, especially since it has won more Car & Driver top 10 picks then any other car made... I think its track record has been almost flawless.
my thought exactly
Old 11-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rysky007
its a civic with a lexus sign on it, simple as that, i drove it and the handling cannot be better then teh TLS, ive driven both cars in same day for about an hour period and i missed the TLS when i was in that expensive CIVIC, and what do u mean by the mods the IS would win, if u take the exact same mods and put them on the TLS, like intake and so forth, the TLS would still win, more power to the wheels simple as that..
yeah, and it's a RWD civic in that case. the mods available for lexus out there are much better than the acura and they have more choices. if you talk about the potential of the car the is300 will kill the tls any day. before i got my lexus i didn't know all that, but after reading more and more and being involved in acura and lexus just as much, the potential of is300 is incredible whereas the tls there is only so much you could do
Old 11-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

awesome will!!!! welcome to the lexus club. as usual, go visit clublexus and drop me a line there (same user name). you are going to spend a lot more money on the is300 than the tls, trust me. that's why happened to me with the gs4 so what color you got there? pm me.

thanks for the great review, it's very objective, detailed, and well written. better than most of those untruthfully biased information in this thread imho.

yes, the 260 on the tls is just going to kill the is on straight line, it's super fast i have to say. but yup, if you have the bucks to drop a turbo on the is3, it's end of the story. did i say that with 10k you can get the car to up to 500rwhp? yes, REAR wheel hp. that's with the stock tranny. how much does the CT supercharge for the tls get for 6k? what? 80 extra hp? HA HA HA... good luck to play with the turbo is300 for the first 1 second of the race.

i totally agree with you on handling. i drove the is before and after i modded my tls, man it's no match. the is3 already comes with z rated tires instead of the forget-it tires on the tls. it's turning circle is incredibly small (it's one of the biggest selling point of the is3) while that of the tls is incredibly big. even my gs4 turns a lot smaller than the tls, go figure. handling on the curves the stock is will stick to the ground a lot better than the tls, no questions asked. i wonder why people would say it handles worse than the tls.... that's a first.

i believe the is3 has a 2 pistons setup up front for braking while the tls has 1 pistons, that probably accounts for the better braking. didn't know they have curtain already in the 03, that's nice. lexus always use some of the best leather, it's a known fact. the one on tls is different, still good though. basically the ones on tls are tighter and smoother, and those on is3 are softer.

it's funny about the nav being not touchscreen coz' of its position being too far from the driver? coz' the nav on the es, gs, ls, etc... they are all touch screen and you can always change the settings while driving.

totally agree with the style of tls being more classy. the is300 is very sporty and if people want classy, a gs300 probably (but even slower). trust me, i have seen is with kits and lowered.... my mouth was wide open.

actually drive more and you will notice that the is3 eats gas like there is no tomorrow trust me, you will see. and thanks for another support on the is300 aftermarket support. good to see someone with the true input.

i dont' normally get annoyed by other people's posts, but this really gets to me when people are talking with any facts. if there are facts, sure i would gladly accept and even correct myself. don't get me wrong, i have the tls all fixed up and i love the car, it's a great car, for the value. the is300 i agree maybe a bit overpriced but i would still agree the part about you get what you paid for. when i talk to some people that a new loaded gs430 will be 56 to 58k they say it's stupid. then later on i wonder why they keep their mouth shut after they sat in my car.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah, and what's the RL? an accord with a bigger body kits?
Old 11-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ColdFusionTL
honestly, an IS300 looks cheap...Sure its a lexus, but it looks exactly like a 94 accord with altezza rear lights. I would take my TL-S anyday against an IS300. I mean its just not appealing at all and i'm only 17 yrs old...
i agree the styling and exterior of the is3 is not close to the tls, looks very different. it depends on what you looking for. if you also put in performance, potential, fun, and mods into it, that could be a very different outcome
Old 11-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by power3dfx
is300 are nice though. i never been been in one, but if it is built with lexus quality, it must be good. all in all, you are paying the extra money for rear wheel drive and the lexus name. If acura stays on a good path, they will one day do the same thing. The new es3 sucks, and people still buy it. They are ugly, same hp for like 8 years! They are basically crap, well built, and carry the lexus name. Thats the only reason why they sell.
Honda better hope their name will sell their new accords, those things are ugly!
actually the es is taking naother route. in the past they didn't have the gs so the es has to carry both luxury and power to compete with other cars. so later on lexus decided to make the gs, a rwd sport sedan, to compete with others. that's why this yr the es has pretty much the same hp, even HEAVIER, so it's a lot slower. but it's a lot more luxury, quiet, and comfortable. you cant' beat that at all.

the exterior styling.... i agree, dunno what the hell is wrong with lexus on that one
Old 11-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

I believe an IS430 (4.3L V-8) is in the works for introduction next year? Should be a screamer. IS300 drives very nice but a tad alow not to mention looks like it was assembled by Pokemon inside.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

ok give me a break..assembleed by pokemon? The TL has horrible build quality compared to other hondas and it cannot even compare to Lexus fit and finsih. The amount of rattles/squeaks/creaks in the TL is ridiculous for a 30k dollar car. And learn some english ExOwner. The TL kills the IS in straight line acceleration but the IS completely destroys the TL in handling and braking. The TL has some horrible brakes...not to mention the warped rotor problem which seems to affect many TL owners. I have to say that the TL has some of the worst OEM tires I have ever seen. Maybe you guys should think about what you are saying before you go to type it...the TL is not the perfect car you make it out to be. And don't think I am partial to the IS in any way...because i drive a TL everyday.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:32 PM
Pro

Thumbs down

the is300 is a nice little car, I checked them out personally and was close to getting one, a friend of mine did get one. At the end of the day though, I don't see where it fits. The tl-s hauls a$$, has lots of room and features and won't break the bank. The is300 is small, not particularly fast, imho an ugly interior, and questionable exterior styling - you either love it or hate. It has rwd, a plus, but if you plan on any winter driving on the sport rims/tires you'll be in trouble. If you don't get the 17" performance tires then it handles like a tl-s or worse. If it cost under 27K it be great, but for 35K, if my number 1 priority were a stick, sportiness and good handling I'd get a 330 hands down over an is300. If sportiness could take the back seat to a bit of room & comfort get the TL.
And if you know the is300 is slow & plan to get a turbo or supercharger, save yourself the hassle and get a gs400, a car that has it all.
my $.02
have fun shopping
Old 11-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by gocrazyw/TL
ok give me a break..assembleed by pokemon? The TL has horrible build quality compared to other hondas and it cannot even compare to Lexus fit and finsih. The amount of rattles/squeaks/creaks in the TL is ridiculous for a 30k dollar car. And learn some english ExOwner. The TL kills the IS in straight line acceleration but the IS completely destroys the TL in handling and braking. The TL has some horrible brakes...not to mention the warped rotor problem which seems to affect many TL owners. I have to say that the TL has some of the worst OEM tires I have ever seen. Maybe you guys should think about what you are saying before you go to type it...the TL is not the perfect car you make it out to be. And don't think I am partial to the IS in any way...because i drive a TL everyday.
I heard the TL Tires are the same ones that are on the Mercedes S500.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Racer

ok i think its safe to say this post started a small war, but in reality, every person has diff opinions on cars and what they like and dont like.... some ppl perfer lexus, some like acura, as far as teh post above in rattles and things like that, any car that is assmebled on the american lines will rattle, its simple as that, from BMW to a civic, unless u get a car custom hand built thats what u will have, why its like that i dont want to go into it cause another war will begin...... so in close, some ppl like the IS some pll like TLS, i looked at both cars and just like how the TLS looks better, maybe the IS can be suped up more and so forth , u simply have to take into considiration what u will be doing with the car and what its purpose is, im sure on the other forums when ppl say i want a A4 or a TLS, the A4 forum dogs the crap out of the TLS cause its a bit slower, its all PERSONAL Opinion .... ok have i bable on enough??????
Old 11-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you guys should think about what you are saying before you go to type it...the TL is not the perfect car you make it out to be. And don't think I am partial to the IS in any way...because i drive a TL everyday.

Is there such thing as a perfet car??

every cars comes with problem.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Ehhem..It looks like Wilz and rominl have the portion of the Comparo covered, so I don't need to get into that..
This is where I step in.. I own both, a 99TL and an '03 IS300. I'm not biased in any way because I work for Lexus. Way back when the IS300 first was introduced, I went to a ride and drive that compared the IS to the BMW 3 and Audi A4. This was before I started working for Lexus. I was amazed at how much better the IS performed over the BMW and Audi. It's not so fast, then again, it's not slow. If you know how to drive it, you can pretty much compete against many cars on the road in a road race(but I in no way encourage that, OK?) I found the comparison to be a little uneven because the 3 series didn't have the sport package, but they kept it that way to keep the astronimical pricing of the 330i down. Aside from that, the 3 series sport suspension is not something you can live with every day, being so stiff, but the IS300's is a nice combination of both comfort and sportiness. I've got a suspension setup on my car(TL), and even with that, my stock IS(for now) can still run circles around it. Braking? Fuhgettaboudit. IS all the way. Bear in mind who Lexus targeted the IS to go up against. The BMW 3 series. To you it might be expensive compared to the TL, but compare it to a BMW 330i, and the Lexus is thousands less. In addition, Dollar for dollar, the IS300 does everything better than the TL. Then again, they are for two different kinds of people. You won't see an older man driving an IS300, while just about all I see is older adults driving TL's. The two cars can't be compared. I love my TL, still love the way it looks, but I'm REALLY starting to get a bad taste in my mouth after the transmission transplant(As well as the many other "Faulty" problems in my TL, as well as the other TL's on the road. Acura really disappointed me. It's gears whine more than ever on acceleration, is leaking transmission fluid EVERYWHERE(i've got spots all over my driveway, not only that, I just checked the fluid and realized it has almost 2 quarts MORE than it's supposed to have! That might explain why i'm leaking the fluid, but that will be up to PAA when I take it back to them again this week for some answers. Quality-wise, Lexus is a better made car than Acura, probably because it's still made in Japan. Because my dealership's owners just acquired Acura in their fleet of dealerships, it will be opening in a few weeks, the only Acura dealership in NYC(In addition to an Infiniti dealership, but it's like a year away). I was considering a new TL-S, but I doubt that's going to happen. I would still consider an RSX Type S, but I won't get a 6 speed as a daily driver. Nothing else excited me that I would see myself driving in Acura's fleet(aside from the NSX). I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and get rid of my Acura, and it will more than likely happen within a month to make room for the GS that I'm holding at my dealership for myself. I could go on and on, but I have work to do..

Oh yea, and for the record, you all probably don't know this, but the IS300 is built on a GS chassis, not a Corolla. My point being, although Lexus denies there being a future "IS430", they did admit that if a V8 can fit on the GS platform, it can most definately fit in the IS platform with no modifications.

This time next year, the ES300 will become the ES330, boasting 240 hp. That's all the juicy info for now.

Eddie
Old 11-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Racer

u know i have to say, i drive my moms stock TLP and then my stock TLS and its almost like two diff cars, from the cumfort of the seats to the handling, then agian if u have a TLP thats suped up with struts and all that then its diff..
Old 11-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

wow..I had no idea this simple question would blow up into a debate meet...however, I still cannot decide...decisions, decisions...
Old 11-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Racer

i tell u like this, first figure out what u want to do with the car, do u want to keep it stock or fix it up, then decide if u want the lugury look or more sportier, and then how much u want to spend, then drive both back to back, have the dealers pull them up rite next to eachother and let them both go at it trying to sell u, " its funny to watch ", and then make ur decision, uve seen how we all react, but in reality its up to u, both cars have their ups and downs, a buddy of mine has the IS, i drove it, wasnt impressed with teh dash or how it drives, i love the TLS, but thats just me, dont take my word, take only urs.....
Old 11-04-2002, 01:11 AM
Comptech Freak

good b*tching on ur TL....u reallie thinks this is a 100k car??
i have yet find one car does better with same price or less...not even the new accord V6...has tons of rattles and problems out of the first production...
Old 11-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by 2004TL

I heard the TL Tires are the same ones that are on the Mercedes S500.
not sure for the S500...but definitely yes for the S430 SWB

the MXV4 plus is the most popular OEM tire in the world...

accord, camry, jetta, ES300......more...

and it's not known for performance....it lasts longer than most tires...

i don't like the traction either....maybe coz it's only 205...225 is a more logical choice
Old 11-04-2002, 08:54 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same choices when it came to getting my new car...IS300 or TL Type-S. I thought about the IS hard, but when it all came down to it..I wasn't looking for the specifics..I.E. which had better Navi, this and that...To put is simply...The IS300 would get its ass handed to it by a TL Type-S in a race..I done that already a few times...hahahaha...and I wasn't gonna get anything slower than I have to...THe TL is a better value for the money..but the IS sure hell, looked nice...but I needed space and speed...and the TL delivered more of both...so I guess..that is my opinion on it all.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:08 AM

A corolla on steriods. Let me guess, 260hp OWNSZ all other cars cause it has 260hp.

IMO, the TL-S and IS 300 are priced in the same range but 2 contrasting sedans. I IS a sports sedan (RWD, manual opt, dynamics etc) the other is a sporty family car (FWD, Accord dynamics, auto, bigger). The 2 are so opposite it is not even funny.

U can call the IS what u want, the TL has been called every name in the book, no need for me to go there but I'll list things u won't have to worry about in the IS 300.

Loaner cars.
Tranny breakdowns.
HID theft
Crappy service
Old 11-04-2002, 11:10 AM

THe TL is a better value for the money
That depends on WHAT u value. The IS is a better value if your going to mod it, track it, have more fun in it and HAVE it. It is not a value when you car is in the shop a month cause you are getting a new tranny. The TL-S is a better value if u like space, speed, and no haggle pricing.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ExOwner
I believe an IS430 (4.3L V-8) is in the works for introduction next year? Should be a screamer. IS300 drives very nice but a tad alow not to mention looks like it was assembled by Pokemon inside.
don't quote me, but i can tell you, there are already couple of is430 ON THE ROAD here in south cali. yup you heard me. TRD has made some for test run and they are running great. but they are also tight lips on the performance spec so i don't know.... but if you think about it, it doesn't take a lot for the is430 to eat the new m3. it already has all the handling and it just needs a powerful engine. i hope it will come out in 2005
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

i love this kind of response. stick with the truth and appreciate what's out there. for the spec the braking of tl is horrible. at 128 ft 60-0 it's pretty much one of the worst braking distance among all sport sedans out there.

Quick Reply: TL-s vs IS 300