TL-S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001 | 11:19 PM

Question TL-S test drive

Looking for second opinions on TL vs. TL-S. Drove each, back-to-back, twice. First time, went to dealer alone; drove each car - FAST. TL-S was clear winner. Second time, went with wife; drove each car - NOT SO FAST. TL was clear winner. Uh-oh.
Driving the TL-S second time on local roads, the ride was very "nervous";I felt a disturbing vibration in my gut as tires went over pavement; wife felt it worse in back seat - said it was a jiggling feeling - making her nauseous. We agreed the ride quality for a car in this class was poor.
My dilemma: I didn't notice this problem the first time I drove the TL-S.
Could the difference have been something like wrong balance or air pressure of second car's tires, or is the TL-s really a pukemobile, and I just missed it on the first drive because I was having too much fun on the gas? I really would like to hear from others who have driven both cars, rather than spend my life on test drives. If you own a TL-S, do you really need to keep a supply of barf bags in the back seat?
Old 05-27-2001 | 11:20 PM
Banned

heh go look at my reply in the normal TL forum

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Satin Silver, Ebony Interior w/out nav
Old 05-27-2001 | 11:21 PM
Banned

also when test driving the performence difference isn't as apparent because its usually short and at low speeds. once you hit above 3500 rpm then the engine really starts to sing!!!

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Satin Silver, Ebony Interior w/out nav
Old 05-28-2001 | 12:29 AM
Racer

TL-S is sport oriented, the springs are stiffer than the TL. if you are looking for a "soft", mature people and sedate ride, go for the TL, now if you want "action" then it's the TL-S.
Old 05-28-2001 | 12:39 AM
Instructor

Cool

Sounds like sport tuned suspensions, low profile tires are not your cup of tea..
Old 05-28-2001 | 10:14 AM

Question

Thanks for the input, but I'm still confused. Does the TL-S ride nervous, edgy, and stiff (to the point of nausea) at low sppeds on local roads, or was there something wrong with the second car's set-up?
Old 05-28-2001 | 10:19 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by cfreger:
Thanks for the input, but I'm still confused. Does the TL-S ride nervous, edgy, and stiff (to the point of nausea) at low sppeds on local roads, or was there something wrong with the second car's set-up?
I seriously think there's something wrong with the car's setup--probably overinflated tires. I test-drove the TL-S at speeds ranging from 25mph to 85mph, and it drove comfortably (for me) at all speeds.
Old 05-28-2001 | 10:22 AM
Racer

Actually, I used to own a 2000 TL and I traded it for a 2002 TL-S.

The TL-S is smoother than the 2000 TL on normal road. But on bumpy roads, you can feel that the suspensions are stiffer but not harsher...

Well, for someone who likes to drive fast and precise opt and don't mind of feeling the road imperfections choose the TL-S.

If, you don't usually drive fast and hard cornering, you should opt fot the TL.

Hope that helps.

------------------[*]2002 TL-S Satin Silver Canadian model[*]50%-35% Tint[*]Ebony wood kit from snook789
Old 05-28-2001 | 10:55 AM
Advanced

I had similar impressions. The Japanese seem to have a hard time with sport suspensions... they feel unsettled or skittish at times. The TL-S ride compared to a BMW sport suspension is totally different. BMW really got the suspension right. The Lexus GS 430 doesn't have the confident feel of BMW's suspension either. I guess its a German thing. With the BMWs, you feel minor imperfections in the pavement, but the larger ones are absorbed. The Japanese suspensions seem to be different and the medium to large bumps can be a little jarring.

The TL-S is going to feel a bit harsh, especially if you drove it right after driving the TL. I think it had more road noise also. I think suspensions loosen up after awhile and you may want to check tire pressure. I don't see any posts in here saying that after driving for 3 months, they wish they had a softer suspension. On the other hand, you will see the TL owners upgrading suspension parts all the time. Once someone gets used to a firmer suspension, the softer ones really suck IMO.

I recommended the TL-S to my girlfriend because of the seats, the nicer wheels, and I felt the steering was better. I felt like I could end up in a ditch if I sneezed while driving the TL (steering is overboosted.. a hazard in my book).

If you like more of a luxury ride, you may want to look at the Infiniti I30. It isn't as fast as a TL, but is very smooth and quiet. It doesn't have rear independant suspension, and you can tell over larger bumps (feels like whole back end drops a bit). The car is arguably nicer inside, but it doesn't have the looks of a TL. I felt the car was nice, although not really anything to get excited about.

Anyone who's had a TL-S for awhile notice if the suspension has softened up a bit since delivery?
Old 05-28-2001 | 11:23 PM
Instructor

It does feel like the suspension got smoother as it got used more, but I might be just getting used to it. Initially I did think it was overly firm, now I wouldn't change a thing...

Regards
-w
Old 05-29-2001 | 12:43 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Webologist:
It does feel like the suspension got smoother as it got used more, but I might be just getting used to it. Initially I did think it was overly firm, now I wouldn't change a thing...

Regards
-w
Ha ha, this sounds like the "loudspeaker break-in time" conversations I have with my hi-fi friends. I often refer to this as the "listener break-in time", where you get used to the loudspeakers over time, and they start sounding "better" to you.
Old 05-29-2001 | 07:15 AM
Racer

Ha ha, this sounds like the "loudspeaker break-in time" conversations I have with my hi-fi friends. I often refer to this as the "listener break-in time", where you get used to the loudspeakers over time, and they start sounding "better" to you.

Yeah .... its amazing how bad most audio equipment sounds straight out of the box. Give them a couple of weeks to break in and you have a comletely sound!

Old 05-29-2001 | 07:27 AM
Drifting

I have had my TL-S for over a month now and I just got back from a 1000+ mile round trip which included city and highway driving and I loved every moment of it. I think the car you test drove needed a bit of adjusting. Then again, I have not driven the TL so I would not know what the ride is like in that car. However, I can testify that my Integra was a pretty good ride other than the loud engine noise.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 05-29-2001 | 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Dealers overinflate the tires to that'll harden it up over rough roads.

The suspension is stiffer too so the ride is less "Luxurious" than the TL.

I have had mine for 3000 miles and haven't thrown up once.
Old 05-29-2001 | 12:43 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Well a friend of mine almost threw up...but then again I was doing 45 in a 35 zone in this little deserted highway up in the mountains. If you're in the Bay Area, try highway 9...and you'll see what I mean.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 05-29-2001 | 09:52 PM
Instructor

Talking

Don't you know barf bags are standard accessory in the TLS?
Old 05-30-2001 | 10:21 PM

Talking

Actually, manufacturers of premium loudspeakers do recommend a certain amount of "run-in" time . . . or is that a con job, too?

Seems reasonable to me that car suspensions get looser over time. After all, they're a collection of mechanical parts. But I think its months or years we're talking about, not days or weeks.

Anyway, I am leaning towards the "overinflated tires" theory. Think I'll give it one more shot. A longer and more varied test drive. Maybe on the other side of the state, so I won't have to worry about the story of the customer with the tire pressure gauge coming back to haunt me. Maybe under a pseudonym.