TL-S Problems, do you have them too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TL-S Problems, do you have them too?

I have noticed a few things that bother me about my car and wanted to share them with the group and see who has similar problems and what your opinions are on what might be causing them.

1) Wind noise/low wind whistle at certain times whether it be driving around town or at highway speeds. Noise seems like it comes from vents. Closing them does not help much if at all. However, I have only started to notice it now that is has been getting cooler in the northeast (upstate NY).

2) Car makes this low deep humming noise when first started and going into reverse and then fowards again. Not sure if it is transmission or what. Almost sounds like a power steering noise that only lasts 1-2 seconds. It is consisitent and only happens when the car is first started.

3) My engine gets low level pinging at times. I use Mobil 93 octane super unleaded and sometimes I notice low volume levels of pinging. It happens almost in all gears whether it be around town or at highway speeds.

4) I am not impressed with the handling of this car. It seems almost loose at 75-80 depending on the type of highway pavement sometimes. I rarely drive with one hand on the wheel due to this. It does not feel tight and really does not take tight turns with the ability I thought it would. I wonder if something is loose or something on suspension somewhere.

5) Transmission does not always shift the way I would hope in D5. Sometimes I have to give it more gas than I thought necessary to get it to kick down. Other times it shifts perfectly and aggressively just the way I want it with the same level of throttle input. I know this all depends on load/throttle input/etc. but just seems like a lazy trans at times,,then other times feels just right.

Let me know what you think and if you share these similar problems. Very annoying when you pay 30+K for an Acura and it has these type of problems.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:58 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

my car gets the #2 thing you listed, and it really annoys me. when i took it to the dealer, they claimed it had something to do with ABS and was "normal".
Old 10-27-2001, 09:59 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

get springs and/or sways to solve #4

use sportshift to remedy #5
Old 10-27-2001, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by my2sense
my car gets the #2 thing you listed, and it really annoys me. when i took it to the dealer, they claimed it had something to do with ABS and was "normal".
It is normal. Its the ABS startup/self test. Don't be mad, be happy .
Old 10-27-2001, 10:06 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: TL-S Problems, do you have them too?

1) Wind noise/low wind whistle at certain times whether it be driving around town or at highway speeds.

The only wind noise I hear is from the side mirrors and the moonroof whenever the inside cover isn't closed. I mostly notice this once I've reached triple digit speeds.

2) Car makes this low deep humming noise when first started and going into reverse and then fowards again.

It's just the ABS self check.

3) My engine gets low level pinging at times.

I have yet to notice and I've been using 91 octane.

4) I am not impressed with the handling of this car. It seems almost loose at 75-80 depending on the type of highway pavement sometimes.

I've recently installed the most agressive sway bar setup, so lately my turns have been crisp and sharp to the point where I've almost oversteered one time with 3 people in my car.

5) Transmission does not always shift the way I would hope in D5.

I'm not too familiar with highway driving in D5 since I usually shift to SS mode and just leave it in 5th gear to save gas. But, this comment makes me wish we had a power button like they do in toyota/lexus where it would shift more agressively depending if you have the button pushed in or not.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:23 PM
Banned

#1 - Not sure about this. In general, though, I have always felt like the TLS was a little more noisy than it should be. And they claim that they cut down on wind noise in '02 by redesigning the mirrors, but I had an '00 TL and I can't tell the difference.

#2 - This is probably the reverse-tilt mirror. When you back up, the passenger side mirror tilts down (to aid in parallel parking), and when you put it in D5 again, it will tilt back up. Both times, you will hear a the whirring sound from the motor that moves the mirrors. It's very noticeable - I notice it every morning when I back out of the garage.

#3 - I have noticed several people on here post with pinging problems. I have never really noticed this, with one exception - there is a certain speed range - for me around 50-55, where it seems like the transmission is shifting too high. At around 50, sometimes I will notice the transmission is in 5th and the engine is turning below 1500 rpms. That is a little low, and close to lugging the engine, and sometimes minor adjustments in the gas pedal will cause some pinging for me, but I think it's because it's just running in too low a gear, so it's not really a ping as much as the engine lugging.

#4 - Comptech sways will improve this greatly without compromising anything else. I just installed mine last weekend, and I agree with a lot of the other members here that the stiffer sways should have been standard equipment on the Type S model. You can order them from this site for about $300. They're easy to install yourself, but if that's not your thing, I can't imagine it would cost more than $100-150 to install. I did mine in 4 hours total, and about 2 hours of that was because I stripped one of the nuts. A professional should be able to do it in under 2 hours.

#5- In case you didn't already know, both 4th and 5th gear on the TLS are overdrives. So, if you are cruising on the highway and step on it to pass, you will only shift into 4th gear, which is still pretty sluggish. If you're just driving leisurely, this is probably OK, and about 70% of the time I just leave it in D5 and deal with it (heck, even in 4th you still have more passing power than most of the cars out there). But, for the other 30% of the time, when I feel like driving more "spirited", I use sport shift.

Basically, let's say you are going 70 and you come up on some idiot in the left lane going slow. When I anticipate this, I pop over into SS and downshift to 4th right away. Then, a second or two before I know I will need to pass, I downshift to 3rd which puts me right in the middle of my powerband. When it's time to pass, then you can just step on it and the car will just catapult forward. It really is an awesome feeling.

It's a little scary at first, because you probably aren't used to hearing the car rev that high. But, the car can take it. In fact, 3rd gear is good to about 100-110, so you have a lot of breathing room for passing.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:44 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, the tranny takes some time to "learn" your driving style... as for car feel "loose' on certain road surfaces, that's some what normal, I guess... TLS seems to be very sensitive to grooves on the roads....

Andy Kuo
Old 10-27-2001, 11:07 PM
Racer

#2 when you first start your car and you get that buzzing sound for a sec or two thats your ABS activating. thats normal, my 98 prelude did it too and so does my 2002 tl-s
Old 10-27-2001, 11:32 PM
Drifting

1. The TL-S is still a noisy car compared to Lexus or German or American cars. There's a lot of road and wind noise that can be heard.

2. It's the ABS self-check. Don't worry about it!

3. My engine has never pinged with Texaco 91 octane. You may want to use a different gas station. I regularly cruise in 5th gear with <1500 RPM with no problems, even when I stomp on it without downshifting.

4. I agree! The answer: sways and better tires. Lowering your car, stiffer shocks and lower-profile tires will also help at the expense of comfort.

5. The auto tranny will learn your driving style. After a few days the computer will realize that you're inputing consistently high amounts of gas pedal and will adjust the shift points accordingly. Use SportShift for (quasi) exact gear control.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:30 AM
...and then there was One

Dang, I'm not sure where everyone comes from, but I don't have too many problems. There's not much wind noise in mine (even though the mirrors are NOT aerodynamic.. all they do is collect bugs ). I'm an active driver - both offensive and defensive - so, the transmission isn't really a problem. Handling; Yes, it does lack in that area, and as everyone has said, the stock tires, and springs are not up to par. If you want to keep the stock wheels, then get some Kumho tires from this site - under $100/ea. If you still want better handling, get any of the springs... Comptech, Eibach, or the less expensive H&R, OE if you don't want much of a drop, or Sport if you want to get rid of wheel gap. If you're serious, then get any of the anti-roll bars (sway bars).
If you still have complaints... sorry to say, but you should of taken her for a test drive, and seen how the transmission and handling was. As for the pinging, if it is THAT bad, they should fix it.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:18 AM
Pro

WIND NOISE IS A BIATCH>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND THAT ABS SOUND IS EMBARASSING......

2002 Aegean Blue TL Type S
AEM CAI
NEUSPEED STRUT BAR
EIBACH PRO-KIT (2.2/1.8)
Old 10-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Instructor

I can agree with the wind/tire noise and with the handling issue (which I plan to fix). Other than that, #2 is not a problem, I don't have pinging with Chevron 91 octane, and the transmission offers alternatives to the low-rpm/fuel-conserving cruising mode. I like that, myself.

I think the road noise and wandering characterstics at speed are directly related to the Michelin tires' composition and tread design.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by my2sense
Its completely normal, that sound used to also occur in my 99 Accord LX and my 00 Accord EX V6 !

Regarding #4 check out my other post, I have the same problem

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=25228
Old 10-28-2001, 12:08 PM
Racer

Fuggin car runs and handles sweet with the present mod set up. If ya'll wanted a no noise, vanilla ride, ya should of bought an ES.
I just wasn't ready to trade car stories with my grandma yet, or spend another 10-15 K to keep up with Mr. Jones across the street.
I love this car
Old 10-28-2001, 01:01 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

yea.. #2 is embarrrasing - especially when you're pulling out of a parking lot with lots of people around. they're probably thinking 'gee.. such a nice car, but i wonder why its so f*cked up?!?!"
Old 10-28-2001, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

I am having a problem with both of my rear side windows when it rains. It sounds like water crwaling inside; just like when you have leaking on your roof.

I am not sure if anybody having this problem, but even Honda ccord does not create this sound

Please let me know if anyone having this problem in 2002 TL-S. I scheduling an appointment on Wednesday and will have them to check on the door seals.

Will put comment again after I fix it....
Old 10-28-2001, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up TedV

Thanks for all the great information and replies! Glad I can finally put some of my questions to bed as they seem normal in all the S type TL's. The pinging still bothers me. And I guess I should start saving for my Comptech sway bars. Seems like the group as a whole loves that mod and the quality of the product. However, the lack of consistency in the packing of the Comptech sways is disconcerting in that they do not pack the teflon tape or lube the same in all units shipped according to comments from other site members.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by schnitzer540i
I am having a problem with both of my rear side windows when it rains. It sounds like water crwaling inside; just like when you have leaking on your roof.
It's probably water going through your sunroof drainage channels.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by numbaonexstunna
WIND NOISE IS A BIATCH>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND THAT ABS SOUND IS EMBARASSING......

2002 Aegean Blue TL Type S
AEM CAI
NEUSPEED STRUT BAR
EIBACH PRO-KIT (2.2/1.8)
I feel the same. Maybe if my car end up like kdw88's (totalled) then I don't have to worry about this car anymore
Old 11-01-2001, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission issues

If I am gradually accelerating in traffic then suddenly have to take my foot off of the gas, the transmission kinda bucks...but only sometimes...

Also, at 11K miles, I am getting vibration from the brakes when coming to a normal stop (not the vibration from hitting ABSs hard)...it's like something is warped...but that doesn't happen all of the time either...I am surprised because 95% of my driving is on the interstate...not constant stop and go. And, I haven't had to hit the brakes really hard at any time.

I also experienced the pinging, actually more like knocking (use 93 Octane). Noticed it when house shopping and driving 10-15 mph through hilly neighborhoods.

I am quite surprised at these things since I have previously owned a new Toyota, Honda, and Nissan and experienced absolutely NO problems.

I am not experiencing the wind noise...obviously, I am getting the ABS noise at start up, and those tires sure do sing on some road finishes...but I kinda like that.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally posted by TedV
I have noticed a few things that bother me about my car and wanted to share them with the group and see who has similar problems and what your opinions are on what might be causing them.

1) Wind noise/low wind whistle at certain times whether it be driving around town or at highway speeds. Noise seems like it comes from vents. Closing them does not help much if at all. However, I have only started to notice it now that is has been getting cooler in the northeast (upstate NY).

2) Car makes this low deep humming noise when first started and going into reverse and then fowards again. Not sure if it is transmission or what. Almost sounds like a power steering noise that only lasts 1-2 seconds. It is consisitent and only happens when the car is first started.

3) My engine gets low level pinging at times. I use Mobil 93 octane super unleaded and sometimes I notice low volume levels of pinging. It happens almost in all gears whether it be around town or at highway speeds.

4) I am not impressed with the handling of this car. It seems almost loose at 75-80 depending on the type of highway pavement sometimes. I rarely drive with one hand on the wheel due to this. It does not feel tight and really does not take tight turns with the ability I thought it would. I wonder if something is loose or something on suspension somewhere.

5) Transmission does not always shift the way I would hope in D5. Sometimes I have to give it more gas than I thought necessary to get it to kick down. Other times it shifts perfectly and aggressively just the way I want it with the same level of throttle input. I know this all depends on load/throttle input/etc. but just seems like a lazy trans at times,,then other times feels just right.

Let me know what you think and if you share these similar problems. Very annoying when you pay 30+K for an Acura and it has these type of problems.
In order:

1) Not sure if Westchester County is considered upstate, but I live there and I don't have this problem

2) Low humming noise is the ABS self-test and is normal

3) I use Sunoco 93, no pinging

4) No problems with handling. I routinley drive with one hand during my commute which averages 75-80 mph. The car has speed sensative steering, so the faster you go, the easier it is to steer. As for the tight turns, it's no Porsche, but I have no problems sticking tight turns at decent speeds. If you want to whip through turns, get spring/sways or don't buy a luxury sedan.

5) No problems with the tranny either. I've adjusted to how it shifts, and usually can make it shift on command to the gear I want. If I really want to play, I use SS. That's what it's there for.

I think that's about it.....
Old 11-01-2001, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by TedV

#1. I haven't noticed the noise but I have noticed the rain hitting the door and that makes a lot of moise.

#2. ABS, supposedly the RL is louder.

#3. Never had that.

#4. Sways and upper strut bar will definitely take care of that problem.

#5. It's the dreaded 5th gear, use SS and down shift to 4th.