Which Tint With NAVI? / Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Which Tint With NAVI? / Pics

I can't afford ceramic and don't want 35% on the sides.

For dyed film... I've looked at most all the manufacturers including madico, solarguard, formula one classic , etc.

I'm either going to go with:

-3M's Color Stable w/ lifetime (20% illegally all the way around)
-Llumar's Centaur (Sputtered Alloy) w/ lifetime (legal 18% back and 28% on the sides.

Any Thoughts?

If anyone has used Llumar Centaur film please let me know if the sputtered alloy will disrupt my NAVI unit and does this film look good?

Please post pictures especially of the Centaur film if you have any.

Sincerely,

Jeremy
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Mile High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 15% tint fr/bk and have noticed no problems, i will go on to say that if i were you i would stay away from metallic tint with a navi, just my
Old 12-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Crazy88
I have 15% tint fr/bk and have noticed no problems, i will go on to say that if i were you i would stay away from metallic tint with a navi, just my
This guy swore up and down that he has done many TL's in his 17 yrs and BMW's with NAVIS in Llumar Centaur film and hasn't had any problems.

So, I'm posting on here to get some feedback... I know you're not supposed to use metalized film w/ navi's. But, film manufacturers make hybrid films that might be okay... Centaur being one of them with the sputtered alloy. I'm just asking around..

Plus it's right at the legal limit and has a slight reflective quality to it.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why cant you do metallic tint??? cuz i was planning on getting mirror...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
why cant you do metallic tint??? cuz i was planning on getting mirror...
To be on the safe side the book says not to get metallic tint on rear windshield because of the NAVI unit, and the AM radio. The reception will be affected...

Some say it's a flip of the coin... And some say you can do metallic but not a heavy metallic film.

So, i'm trying to figure out if anyone has used Llumar Centaur film which is the hybrid.

I personally would not go with a heavy metal film unless i didn't have a NAVI.
I don't like the mirror look unless it's a silver car either.

The Centaur has just enough metal in it to give the film a reflective quality to keep me cooler in Texas and it comes in 28% which is darker than 35% and still legal. So it absorbs and reflects and has a lifetime warranty..
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro

hey Jeremy,

yeahh i have a silver TL with navi.... i wanted to do a REALLY light silver looking mirror tint.... ive seen it once before on a silver 5series... it was SOOOo HOTTttt ... and like 20% black is just too dark for me... im in NY soo dont wana mess with that... but um, you mentioned a whole buncha types like llumar, mettalic, centaur, and 3M... what is what?? what is the shade or color on each??

thanxx
Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Can anybody in SF bay area recommend me a shop that does these kind of tints and how much? I'm planning to get 20% all around but I dont know which one is best since I have a navi.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro

hey Jeremy,

yeahh i have a silver TL with navi.... i wanted to do a REALLY light silver looking mirror tint.... ive seen it once before on a silver 5series... it was SOOOo HOTTttt ... and like 20% black is just too dark for me... im in NY soo dont wana mess with that... but um, you mentioned a whole buncha types like llumar, mettalic, centaur, and 3M... what is what?? what is the shade or color on each??

thanxx
If it's a light silver you want I would look into either Formula One or LLumar. Llumar makes Formula One and it's their higher end film. If you wanted a light mirror look I would go with Llumar Centaur or Stealth... both have lifetime warranties.. as far as percent.. I would go with 18% on the back as most light goes through there and 28% on the sides.. I have seen it on this forum and it looks good.. go to the search box and type Llumar Centar and It will pull up one post with pics...

Jeremy
Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 98tlracer
Can anybody in SF bay area recommend me a shop that does these kind of tints and how much? I'm planning to get 20% all around but I dont know which one is best since I have a navi.

I don't know of a tinter in San Fran but depending on what you want it's all up to your preference.. Did you want 20% in metal film or just flat black dyed film?

See the percent is just the pigment shade... then you have the type of film... Dyed or metal... Dyed absorbs like a filter between you and the sun but metal in the film reflects for better protection and keeps you cooler. Hence, heavy metal will keep you the coolest and not fade as much as the absorbing dyed film. But, some companies warranty the dyed against fading... these are the better dyed films.

Some people don't like the look of the heavy metal mirrored tints but want the reflective quality so they make a hybrid with light metal in the film like Centaur and others.... So it's up to you ... Hope this helps...

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro

Tint Company Websites

This might also help:

http://www.llumar.com/

http://www.madico.com

http://www.solargard.com//index.cfm/...n/Product.Home

http://www.filmtechnologies.com/

http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/

http://www.windowfilm.net/

http://www.hanitacoatings.com/

http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/scpd/windowfilm/

http://www.huperoptik.com

http://www.v-kool-usa.com/

http://www.sun-control.com/index.html

Old 12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro

i serached a lott... i coudlnt find any wiht pics.... i saw ONE silver tl with mirror tints... i belive he had Metallic tints... it looked okay, not what i thought it would look... but im really confused on what to do
Old 12-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is where i'm confused....my tint guy uses Llumar....but i dunno which kind. Nav is fine...maybe metallic wouldn't be metaly looking from outside right?.....that's mirror maybe....have no clue..
Old 12-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

So which tint is best for someone who has a navi?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Kollage is funn!

Old 12-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Pro

i serached a lott... i coudlnt find any wiht pics.... i saw ONE silver tl with mirror tints... i belive he had Metallic tints... it looked okay, not what i thought it would look... but im really confused on what to do
There are pics all over this board... Just use the search button... type tint or navi tint.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by shawn744
this is where i'm confused....my tint guy uses Llumar....but i dunno which kind. Nav is fine...maybe metallic wouldn't be metaly looking from outside right?.....that's mirror maybe....have no clue..
What do you mean Nav is fine?

If the tint is a heavy reflective metallic tint (has metal in it) it will look metaly from the outside Like Llumar Stealth or their Platinum series. Kind of like you see on a lot of lexus suv's.... Some like the look some don't... I personally don't unless you have a silver car.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Pro

I don't know which one is best.. That's what I'm searching for... I do know which one's are the safest... Ceramic and Dyed Films are both a safe bet... Ceramic is your most expensive tint available and dyed absorbs the heat so you gotta get a good one unless you want to retint your car every 3 years.

I hate 35% so I am looking for a lifetime warrantied tint at around 28% so I can still be legal.

The only one I've found is a light metalic tint by llumar called Centaur. It's sputtered alloy.... I will have to go to a shop to look at it though... and one guy said it won't mess up my navi and one guy said it would...
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

tlracer, this has been so many posts on this subject ... here are a couple of links to get you started.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101931
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101849

There are members who have used metallic film as well as ceramic film. Some have said the use of metallic film did not affect NAVI and some others did. For those who used Ceramic film, not a problem. As to which tint to use, it's gonna be a matter of personal choice. BTW, there is this one place a couple of the Bay Area TLer's used for tinting. Either in Livermore or Pleasanton called Rocky Mountain Tint. There were some posts about. Ahha, here's the link ...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...y+area+tinting
Good Luck in your choice........
Old 12-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I can't afford ceramic and don't want 35% on the sides.

For dyed film... I've looked at most all the manufacturers including madico, solarguard, formula one classic , etc.

I'm either going to go with:

-3M's Color Stable w/ lifetime (20% illegally all the way around)
-Llumar's Centaur (Sputtered Alloy) w/ lifetime (legal 18% back and 28% on the sides.

Any Thoughts?

If anyone has used Llumar Centaur film please let me know if the sputtered alloy will disrupt my NAVI unit and does this film look good?

Please post pictures especially of the Centaur film if you have any.

Sincerely,

Jeremy
Jeremy, how much more is the Ceramic than the other films? And can't you use Ceramic for the rear and metallic on the sides? For example (just a suggestion), Pinnacle 20(Cearamic) on the rears and and Comfort 30(Sputtered Metal) on the sides. Would that be a feasible solution? I'm sure you can negotiate the price. It sounds you're unsure about the interference problem that can be caused by metallic film. Like you said "flip of a coin." Good Luck in your decision.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Jeremy, how much more is the Ceramic than the other films? And can't you use Ceramic for the rear and metallic on the sides? For example (just a suggestion), Pinnacle 20(Cearamic) on the rears and and Comfort 30(Sputtered Metal) on the sides. Would that be a feasible solution? I'm sure you can negotiate the price. It sounds you're unsure about the interference problem that can be caused by metallic film. Like you said "flip of a coin." Good Luck in your decision.

I think that would look terrible... The film colors wouldn't match at all... Ceramic has a greenish look to it. Ceramic is around $400 or so... and it only comes in 35% and 50% Fuck that!

I just want a dyed film with a lifetime warranty that comes in 28%...
Old 12-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I think that would look terrible... The film colors wouldn't match at all... Ceramic has a greenish look to it. Ceramic is around $400 or so... and it only comes in 35% and 50% Fuck that!

I just want a dyed film with a lifetime warranty that comes in 28%...
A reason I mentioned that was a friend of mine did his that way (not a TL) and it turned out real nice. Of course the rear was not that much darker than the sides. BTW, which brand ceramic film has a greenish look? The F1 Pinnacle is more charcoal, IMO and Pinnacle does have a 15% film. Wow, 4 bills to tint ..... that is expensive.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

So what type of tint should I get if I want the plain black? Keepin in mind that I do have a navi.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Tracer, best bet for you would be to visit one of the shops in the area and look at what they have to offer. Or check out the shops mentioned in the link provided above. Call 'em and explain to them what you want and they will be better able to provide with more info. And since you have navi, I would consider using F! Pinnacle Ceramic (IMO). Or you could take the chance and use a metallic film. As I've said, after reading other member's posts, some have had problems and others did not.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro

So what type of tint should I get if I want the plain black? Keepin in mind that I do have a navi.
Dude.. If you don't mind 35% then you can go with many non metalized films.. I personally would go with Formula One Classic. It will be about 1/4 of the cost of ceramic film... And comes with a lifetime warranty.

Ceramic does reject the heat better though by like 15% but I don't have tint now and for me it's a nice benifit.. I like the look more than anything.. I live in Texas... I'm used to the heat.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I have Formula One Ultimate "38%" (35% effective) metallic tint. I have NAVI and I have no problems with reception. In fact, *knocks on wood* I don't think I've ever had a problem with GPS reception. I haven't noticed any problems with AM radio either although I don't really listen to it often enough to say if the range of AM radio has been effected. I can listen to AM stations just fine though.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Desi Pride

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
I have Formula One Ultimate "38%" (35% effective) metallic tint. I have NAVI and I have no problems with reception. In fact, *knocks on wood* I don't think I've ever had a problem with GPS reception. I haven't noticed any problems with AM radio either although I don't really listen to it often enough to say if the range of AM radio has been effected. I can listen to AM stations just fine though.
I have 35% reflective Formula One Tint. No problems with the AM reception. I don't have a Navi.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Man get whatever the hell you want, my man has a 528i with NAV and he has reflective tint. NO problems at all.

I would highly doubt that NAV system would be released to market if a simple thinglike tint can defeat it!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro

Bad Advice

Originally Posted by special e. dition
Man get whatever the hell you want, my man has a 528i with NAV and he has reflective tint. NO problems at all.

I would highly doubt that NAV system would be released to market if a simple thinglike tint can defeat it!!!!

Well, I hate to say it but, I don't think Acura cares if you put an aftermarket tint on your car and it ruins the positioning of your $3000 dollar NAVI... Ever heard of Buyer Beware?

You doubt that a simple thing like placing a metal sheet around an antenna could affect it? Come on man...

Don't do whatever the hell you want or you'll be sorry... Read posts and use this site as a tool for research and discussion like intended...

For sure you will be safe with ceramic and non metalized dyed film.