Third Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third Transmission

This really sucks, but i just had my third tranny put in wednesday. 1st one went at 38,000, this one at 78,000. Does anyone know why my engine mounts would keep breaking? My mechanic said my front engine mount was bad at like 68,000 miles and i had that replaced. now the dealer says the same mount + the side mount? has gone bad? anyone having the same problem or know if the tranny and engine mounts are related issues? on the plus side, my car was only out for 3 days and they gave me one of those new pontiac g6's which isn't too bad. first time my car was out 1week+ and i was given a frickin cavalier.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Advanced

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the tow truck scraped the front bumper on the concrete while he was loading it on the flat bed. Luckily i caught him before he ripped my whole bumper off. I was waiting almost 4 hours for that too.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... so what ahppen w/ teh tow truck guy?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced

What happened with him? Well, I just got my car back and i'm taking it to my body shop for an estimate. The driver said he was the owner of the tow truck company and that he'd take care of the damage. HE thinks it can be buffed out, but i know better than that. it looks like the guy only messed up front spoiler from the body kit. did i hear that they stopped making 99-03 body kits?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Yeah they did . But you can still get them while supplies last. Haha sounds like advertising doesn't it? I hear Ray Laks at hond-a-curaworld.com (no dashes) still sells it.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:31 AM
Advanced

so, my mechanic took a look at my motor mounts and told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. looks like fountain acura was trying to get some extra non-warranty work. seems really shady. i'm glad i didn't have the dealer "fix" the problem.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Pro

yea i think acura service shops are being told to suggest motor mount replacement with transmission warranty repairs so they can get some skrill out of the deal

ive heard so many incidents of motor mounts gone bad when the tranny was replaced
Old 06-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Liftedoff420
yea i think acura service shops are being told to suggest motor mount replacement with transmission warranty repairs so they can get some skrill out of the deal

ive heard so many incidents of motor mounts gone bad when the tranny was replaced

Your such a moron and so wrong.

A warranty transmission pays 5.5 Hours of labor time for a technician to do. Replacing a motor mount with the trans is an extra WHOPPING .5 hours to do with the subframe already out of the car. MOST of the time the busted mounts leak hydroulic fluid all over the godamn bay and you have to mop the shit up.

Would you seriously rather pay 95$ + .5 hours of labor with a free $3500 transmission. Or would you rather pay 1.5 hours and waste your time coming back complaining of a shitty ride + $95 for the mount itself since it will NOT PASS STATE INSPECTION(for PA)? Or would you just rather deal with a shitty ride? you pick...

It's our job as technicians to let people KNOW of what's wrong with their cars. You may not like the price, you may not have the money for it. That's fine..

But to say we're trying to get some extra "skrill" out of the deal? Im guessing you mean MONEY. Well that's a false statement in every which way.

Honda/Acura technicians make PLENTY of money by just letting people know what's wrong with their cars. You think we give a measly SHIT about .5 hours of time on our time sheets every day? NO.. We do not rip people off. We just cover our ASS!

Who do you think get's SUED when a customer is on the highway and brakes extremely hard causing the engine to nosedive with no support on the front of the motor and all of the sudden it loses control, crashes and the driver dies. What's the investigator going to do? Look at the inspection stickers right? When was it last inspected? Oh 3 days ago!! wow, this technician passed some guy for inspection with a BROKEN MOTOR MOUNT. That's the reason this person died.

Will the dealership get sued? No..
Will Acura get sued? No..
Will the technician who inspected the car get sued? YESS..

Everything he's worked for his entire life will be taken away in an instant. You think any of us will risk that? HELL NO.

BUT.. on the other hand if we recommend and front motor mount with the transmission. If the driver crashes and dies on the highway.. We still have it written on the work order stating the THE TECHNICIAN RECOMMENDS REPLACEMENT OF THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNT. Well, now our asses are in the clear because WE TOLD YOU SO. If you crash and die now, it's NOT OUR PROBLEM.

For those of you that actually think anyone from Acura(at least my dealership) is trying to rip you off? Guess again. Acura is a high-end dealership where the cars are more expensive and luxurious and the people who buy them, have the money to spend on NEEDED repairs. So for you people who actually think we're scavengers..that's fine.. think that way..

But when you go to Joe Schmoe's mechanic shop and get your brakes done with aftermarket pads..5k miles later complaining of a squeek...AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.. who are you going to bring it to?

Acura dealership right? Bring it to the people that deal with this specific make of car every single day of their lives. That's why our labor rate is so high. We charge 90$ an hour and people pay it to have their car fixed right. Im not saying it's fixed right all of the time, we do make mistakes.. But we back our work up, and one way or another your car will be fixed.

It's a matter of honesty and courtesy. People know we do the job.
So anyone who thinks otherwise can go themselves
Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Advanced

so you would recommend replacing parts that aren't broken just to cover your ass?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Advanced

also, i had replaced the front motor mount 7 months ago. when i mentioned that it was covered by warranty at my mechanic, a few hours later my side motor mount is broken too?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by samzilla2002
so you would recommend replacing parts that aren't broken just to cover your ass?

i would absolutely not recommend anything that's not broken or leaking.
And how does your "mechanic" check for broken mounts? Did he torque the car up and feel the mount? Or did he take the frame out and lay it upside down with the stud on the floor to see if it leaks?

On the subject of Side mounts..i've never seen them go bad.
Unless he's talking about the transmission mounts under the frame..i've seen them crack and wear out.

Im SURE if the part isnt defective he wouldnt try to upsell you unrequired parts. It would really make no sense to go out of his way for some extra PENNIES.

Unless your dealing with a really shady dealership or a shady technician which i highly highly doubt. There is no need to be shady.

If your "mechanic" fixes your car then why didnt he overhaul your trans.? or rebuild it?

oh i see, so you can just come to Acura and get it done for FREE. right. and im still trying to figure out WHY YOUR BITCHING? with your stereotypical antics about how technicians who fix cars are shady. hey maybe in the movie theatres or Bob Blows mechanic shop..Not with dealerships and factory trained technicians. there is no reason to be shady in this field.

Although there are a few out there, they make the rest of the honest technicians look bad. So yeah im done with this.

Nobody i know or none of my co-workers are shady. they are honest.
If your going to bitch and complain about how this and how that.. TAKE YOUR CAR SOMEWHERE ELSE TO GET FIXED!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

My experience with Acura technicians are pretty good (on my integra). They did the work and usually don't require rework, haven't seen them overfill my fluid or scratch my car, and when I can't come pick up ontime they park it outside for me to pick up at my own time at night (without paper work needed) since I have my spare key.

My toyota dealer for my corolla fix an oil pan gasket, and it leak again in 2 years at the same spot, asking $200 to do it again, they also overfill my ATF 1 quart high. I decided to redo it myself and found the gasket it not mounted right, with poor quality gasket (cork) and thats why it leaks. When I drain my ATF out due to overfill, I found metal shaving in there.

It is easy to find out if tranny mount is bad, just check for vibration with jack stand at different spot supporting the tranny. I had my corolla mounts (2 out of 4) replaced. My 1st mechanic told me to replace all 4 as he couldn't find out which one is broken, I told him he is full of shit and leave. The 2nd one told me 2 out of the 4 is busted, and I trust him. Problem fixed.

I haven't seen any of that from Acura yet, my experience is they charge what is higher than market price but they get things done the first time around. Not a value for everyone but fair enough, they get their fair share of business that they definitely worthed and deserved.