Thinking about a TL. How serious is the tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a TL. How serious is the tranny problem?

I was looking into a 99-01 TL to replace my now-dead 94 Ford T-Bird. The TL had been a prime candidate because it was not a domestic manufacturer (even though the TL is made in the states?) and seemed to be very reliable mechanically. However, the transmission issue is seriously concerning me. It's nice and all that Acura is replacing the tranny when they fail, but I don't want a constant hassle with a car I just spend serious money on, nor do I want it to fail when I'm in Podunk, GA. Plus if I buy a higher mileage car, they stop replacing it after 100,000, no? Then I'd be stuck with an expensive piece of crap.

Are my fears about the transmission justified? If so, what other mid-luxury sedans in this range ($15,000 or less) would you recommend? The TL was nice because it was a lot of car for the money and didn't have the resale mark-up of other brands like Lexus.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 99's have a much lower chance of failing, in fact I would say 1% of the cases I have heard of are not 99 tls, they are the 2000 to 2003 TLs both the type-s and the non-s.. I love my 99. I'm picking up a tranny cooler, $40, just in case I want to be a little hard on the car it will have a little xtra help cooling the trannie fluid. So far the car has been (knock on wood) close to perfect!!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

Depends what you consider serious

Kidding aside, Consumer Reports that the Acura TL for 2000-2002 the transmission is ranked as average (problems between 5 and 10% of all cars reported). This is high for any brand of car. However, besides that issue the cars do well. The 1999s escape since they had a 4 speed automatic transmission, not 5 speed which has had the problems.

You have to be careful with almost any brand. Toyota just put an extended waranty on the Lexus ES300 and Toyota Camry from 98-02 since they have engine seal problems. Those cars have a 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty. You just have to pick your brand and go with it.

Of course, you can get a bicycle and insure no problems... but not very practical!
Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the insight. I'm really interested in the TL. Though my brand of choice is Toyota/Lexus, this appears to be a lot of car for the money. The tranny problem really got me down. With the 1999, do you know how it reports for tranny failures? Also, on any of these models, do you know if a Honda place can do the recall work if there is not an Acura dealer nearby (my situation)? Also, how does the 1999 measure up to later models regarding the 4-speed vs. 5-speed? Any noticeable performance hit?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brian S
Thanks for the insight. I'm really interested in the TL. Though my brand of choice is Toyota/Lexus, this appears to be a lot of car for the money. The tranny problem really got me down. With the 1999, do you know how it reports for tranny failures? Also, on any of these models, do you know if a Honda place can do the recall work if there is not an Acura dealer nearby (my situation)? Also, how does the 1999 measure up to later models regarding the 4-speed vs. 5-speed? Any noticeable performance hit?

Thanks,

Brian
Just looking at the April Auto issue, the 1999 gets the red circle (top rating, less than 2.5% reporting problems) for transmissions. That year was four speed, and it does not seem to have that problem. You will have to ask the Honda dealer that question. I used to own an Integra living in Ithaca, NY, where there was only a Honda dealer. Although willing to do maintenance, they would not do anything else. I had to drive 40 miles to Binghamton to get the car serviced for anything major (fortunately, only one recall - nothing else in two years). The performance hit is in gas mileage. With the ratios more limited, the older 99 got a couple of miles per gallon worse on the highway that the 2000 if my memory serves me right. I don't believe there is much of an acceleration hit.

Again, Lexus is a good brand, but beware of the ES300/Camry due to the engine seal problem. You will be trading the transmission for an engine problem on that model, unfortunately. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by AcuraT
Just looking at the April Auto issue, the 1999 gets the red circle (top rating, less than 2.5% reporting problems) for transmissions. That year was four speed, and it does not seem to have that problem. You will have to ask the Honda dealer that question. I used to own an Integra living in Ithaca, NY, where there was only a Honda dealer. Although willing to do maintenance, they would not do anything else. I had to drive 40 miles to Binghamton to get the car serviced for anything major (fortunately, only one recall - nothing else in two years). The performance hit is in gas mileage. With the ratios more limited, the older 99 got a couple of miles per gallon worse on the highway that the 2000 if my memory serves me right. I don't believe there is much of an acceleration hit.

Again, Lexus is a good brand, but beware of the ES300/Camry due to the engine seal problem. You will be trading the transmission for an engine problem on that model, unfortunately. Good luck.
Well I've [along with others] been through three..
Old 06-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Save yourself the headache -- do not buy a TL -- do not buy an Acura with an automatic transmission!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
However, besides that issue the cars do well.
"that issue" is a pretty big "issue."
Old 06-30-2004, 05:49 PM
10th Gear

or you could replace your tranny with an aftermarket one right when you buy it... though i know that seems a little extreme, it's better than having the tranny cut out on the freeway like it did to my mom =(
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bayarea
or you could replace your tranny with an aftermarket one right when you buy it... though i know that seems a little extreme, it's better than having the tranny cut out on the freeway like it did to my mom =(
How much might that cost?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine Seal problem? Are you talking about the engine sludge problem?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:53 AM
5th Gear

Welp, I've decided to stay away from Acura for the time being. I'm looking into Audi (A4/A6) at the moment. They seem to have their problems, but nothing as serious as this tranny issue.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Banned

Go for the TL, chances are that they won't break. You won't find a TL owner with a bad expereice here becasue they won't be complaining. Get it?
Old 07-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
"that issue" is a pretty big "issue."
Sorry to use such slander, but Peter Ubers, you're such a mutinous bitch. Besides, how many manual transmission-equipped Acuras do you know of? There aren't very many, let's see, the Integra, RSX, TSX, and a few choice CL's, and of course some of the new '04 TL's. The transmission problem, although existent, is not as prolific as the aforementioned jackass portrays. My '99 TL has had no such transmission issues, as a vast majority will conclude. I LOVE my TL and have had not one regret since purchasing it. It is a very reliable car, as well as being a very sporty and having a luxurious ride. Even most of the select few that have experienced transmission failures do not regret purchasing their TL's. EVERY car make experiences some problems. DEAL WITH IT. And this "Issue" is not that frequent of one. Although this "issue" is quite frequently discussed on this site, it is not that bad. I highly recommend the TL and you cannot find a better value out there.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Thats not cool. :thumbsdn:
Old 07-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How serious???

The problem is frickin serious....
Old 07-11-2004, 09:32 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the insight everyone. Picked up a 98 LS400. I used to own a GS400, so after getting inside and driving, I was hooked. Just can't beat the feel and refinement, for the money, IMO.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VTEC11
Engine Seal problem? Are you talking about the engine sludge problem?
No, talking about the main engine seal. It fails, the engine leaks/burns oil. Toyota replaces the engine for free. This is not a sludge problem, this is an engine failure problem. Sorry for the slow response, my computer self-destructed... after the transmission went.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian S
Thanks for the insight everyone. Picked up a 98 LS400. I used to own a GS400, so after getting inside and driving, I was hooked. Just can't beat the feel and refinement, for the money, IMO.

Thanks,

Brian

Congrats! Good choice!