Thinking About Buying a Gen 2 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking About Buying a Gen 2 TL

Hi guys, new here. Just wanted to get some honest opinions to help me make a decision on purchasing a 2000 Acura TL. I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 TL 3.2 with about 108K on the clock for quite cheap. The car is a one (elderly) owner Arizona car and in prestine condition visually My main concern is overall reliability. I have a Jeep for my current DD, but I'm looking for something to use for daily business that isn't going to surprise me with many expensive repairs over the course of a few years. I am pretty much a virgin to JDM's, aside from some minor experience with Toyota 4X4's. So, my main questions are what are the common problems you tend to experience with Gen 2 TL's of this year and mileage, and how do they hold up to regular driving habits in terms of general service and maintenance.
I figure they're solid vehicles, given that they're parent company is Honda, and they're from the end of the era where cars were still pretty simple. I'd just like some genuine imput so I can make a more educated decision here because I don't need another car at this point, but the luxury would be pretty nice.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Find a 03 CL-s 6spd and call it a day.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
^ CL-S 6-Speed are very rare.

Hi Zane,

Welcome to the forums, you came to the right place!

Let me start by saying I've owned my '03 TL since '06 and I love my car. It has 165K miles and still going strong for me, even though it has at this point a somewhat sizable maintenance backlog.

The biggest issue with the 2nd Gen TL is far and above the transmissions. Mine died and was rebuilt at ~96K miles. However, I didn't realize mine had been showing symptoms ever since I got it around ~50K miles. If you decide to get that car, you'll want to do an extended test drive until the engine gets hot and go through all gears. Keep an eye on flaring and shuddering. Check the fluid condition on the dipstick for burnt fluid. Try a couple of shifts at high RPM like 1->2 and 2->3 and make sure that the trans doesn't slip at all. *Most* people with these cars will experience transmission issues. The problem can be corrected with a new type of transmission so if you like this car enough to get it, you'll need to make sure that you have access to about $2K in an emergency if your trans kicks the bucket. Ours can be replaced with a Honda Accord V6 '06-'07 transmission that will last till the end of time.

Other minor issues that this car is known to have are the engine mounts, Power steering leaks, and for some people, sub frame rust (especially salty climates). For most people the engine mounts need to be replaced every ~75K miles. Check the sub frame under the car for signs of rust and rotting/flaking, especially the passenger side.

Ask the gentleman what grade of fuel he put in his car. If less than 91 then you'll need to clean out your EGR port and passages.

On maintenance:

The car is likely due for a timing belt & water pump change. If you can't do that yourself then you're going to expect about ~$950.

You may need to replace all fluids. With the transmission, do a drain & fill 3 times (should get ~3 quarts out each drain) with Honda DW-1, NOTHING ELSE.

You also need to think about a valve adjustment. Sometimes the valve covers leak oil a bit - it's a minor issue but you might see a bit of oil caked on the engine.

Then there are other minor things like spark plugs (NGK Irridium IX plugs ONLY) etc.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chojun:
01tl4tl (10-29-2015), jaaaydeeem (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
expect to put 2000 DOLLARS into it immediatly getting it totally ready for use
with MORE THAN the 105kmiles full service- timing belt, water pump- thermostat- hoses- erg cleaning insuide intake manifold, valve adjustment...
Needs all new fluids-brake- Honda ps, Honda coolant = not cheap substitute fluids!!!
probably brake pads and possibly worse~ rotors and calipers
Axle bearings are always a concern, front and rear

WHEN the trans fails its $1500-2000 to install a USED trans from an accord or oddy of certain years!! = better than the TL trans..
Rebuilt unit from dealer installed = 5 GRAND!!!!
Rebuilding TL trans is not worth it unless your buddy works at acura~

other issues- failure to change fluids leads to ps pump and steering rack failure- more

Ck out our `member cars for sale` area for a well cared for baby

The CL-S engine and its 6 speed manual trans can be installed in the TL
but the OP doesnt sound like much of a DIY type for this car

Smart money if thats the case = go buy a nice Accord that runs on cheap honda parts and 87 octane gas
Old 10-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
reading OP again- he doesnt NEED a car right now- and wants No surprises in the maintenance expense department
I think we have answered all those questions- NOT the right car for this person

the 105kmiles service was due at 7 years or 105 whichever is first
Old 10-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Some good advice given. Maybe the Tb/WP service has been done? That would eliminate that expense. I am not sure what you mean by you maybe getting it cheap? If it pretty cheap and a creampuff as described (and trans is shifting normally), then I'd perhaps be inclined to go for it. It's all up to your situation and if the car to you may be disposable..how long you expect to keep it etc.
Other than the trans issues, these cars are very reliable overall and the engines will run for many miles.
I picked up my 2nd gen TLs over 3 years ago as a daily driver. I got it at a pretty reasonable price knowing it need the TB/WP and some engine mounts. So I spent about another $700 on this items and have just driven it..yeah it's needed brakes too and normal things but after 3 years and 45k miles I'd say it doesn't owe me anything now. ESP since I use it some for work and get mileage reimburements. Trans has been showing some signs the last year but I've been trying to ward that off with fluid changes etc..

Last edited by MarcDavidoff; 10-29-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chojun
^ CL-S 6-Speed are very rare.
Very trueee.....Buuuuut there are quite a few for sale on the "Acura CL" page on FB right now for anyone interested...