Test drove the TL-S tonight; what a car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Post Test drove the TL-S tonight; what a car!!!

Well subject says it all. Yesterday I came home to find a message from my salesman on my machine stating he had some numbers for me, so I called him from work, and he told me he had a white Type-S waiting for me to take a test drive, so right after work guess where I went??

Anywayz the car was sitting there when I pulled in and I couldnt take my eyes of it, it was simpley beautiful, the grill and front end are really really growing on me. Its much more angular and efined in person like the RL and not as flat as it looked in early pictures. Got in got all nice and cozy, then my sakesman walked up with the dealer plate and told me to have fun. I was on my own, so I gave the engine a good work out to see what she had. Interior is pretty much the same as a CL type-S which is a good thing. I love it, but in design and comfort.

Power is unbelieveable. I drive a 4 cylinder 96 Accord EX, and the difference is night and day but what do you expect with an over 115 hp difference? I gave the car moderate gas and I was hitting 80 in no time flat. And the engine pulls like there no tomorrow all the way to the 7k Redline. Handling is great, sporty yet comfortable.

Best part I pullled up next to a 911 and later on a CLK, and the TL got looks from both drivers. Maybe it was the wheels that drew their attention, or the Shiny WDP paint job which is a beautiful color. Needless to say I had a HUUUUUUUGE Grin on my face the entire time from the time I left the lot till I returned about 25 minutes later. The grin stayed on my face for a long time afterwards. Pulling my own car back out of the dealership parking lot, and making a right turn, I hit the gas the get into to traffic and thought something was actually wrong with my tranny or that maybe I had slipped into Neutral, thats how significant the power difference was for me. Thei car is way more powerful than the competition from Lexus, and Infiniti, I have driven both. It blows the A4 out of the water.

Bottom line, I am going to the most antsiest person alive until my car gets in in about 2 weeks. Wish me luck as I try to remain sane.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi(on the way)

Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 03-15-2001, 10:37 AM

Thanks for that personal review Mr. Hyde.

But please, do us all a favor and tell us how you REALLY feel!

Rock on bro!
Old 03-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smooth power.
I own a '00 accord V-6 now... with comptech headers, cai, underdrive pulleys, cat and exhaust. My Accord had about 225 at the crank, so power is somewhat close. And for being 300-400 pounds lighter than a TL, it does ok. But, boy does it work to get where it's going. It's got sweet spots at 45, 85, and 100mph. But, anything around the 3000-4000rpm range really hurts. And waiting to hit the sweet spot in a 4 speed auto.... ouch. Noise, vibration, roaring intake, sloppy shifts...

Getting in the TL-s. I was expecting much more. Stomping on the gas was inspired no emotion. It barely squeaked and didn't pull hard at all. Well, waiting for the shift to 2nd, I was expecting a little action. hmmm... wow, I was already in 2nd. No excitement. It wasn't till I looked out the window and saw how fast things were fly by that I noticed... dang, this thing moves. But, it does it without any argument.

It's just a very quite, smooth engine with a wide power range... and an awesome 5 speed auto attached. No weak spots, no hard shifts... just smooth power. I'll re-report on this after my headers.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:16 PM

Unhappy

You did not mention any thing about braking and handling. I appreciate your input about these two things.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too took a White Diamond Pearl TL-S for a drive last night. The lot boys had just finished the whole detail job for it to sit on the showroom floor and I said that we are driving that one. They were pissed. Anyway, i left the dealership and was in a hurry to be somewhere and jumped into traffic. It is very torquey down low. I put the car into auto stick mode and hauled up a side street that was supposed to be 25. Whoops, little did I know I was doing 50 in no time at all. Slammed on the brakes and the car just came to a stop like we were in evening rush hour traffic. very smooth. I gave it gas again and took off for the next stop sign trying to see if I could wring it out through three auto gears but it just went everywhere to fast. I am definately in love. All I can do is wait for my A-Blue or Silver to come in. As far as handling goes, not much body roll and very responsive in the corners. I love this car.

------------------
Old 03-15-2001, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, my opinion about handling is totally messed. I haven't driven a non lowered/aftermarket wheel car in over 5 years. Most cars that people consider luxury make me sick and cars that feel soft, most people think are too bumpy.

But, first thing I noticed... is the car is damn big. I don't really like the characteristics of large cars handling, it feels vague. But, for having crap stock tires and being 3500 lbs... it stuck to the ground amazingly well. Easily beyond what I drive everyday. On the test drive, the salesman almost put the car into the ditch. Accerating hard up hill at a 70 degree turn or so. The nose started to understeer, and felt like we were gonna end up on our roof. But, the car corrected amazingly well (traction thing I'm sure). The back end of the car swung around and the car pointed perfectly back at the direction he was steering. He said he was used to running Type-R's through that course... not TLs. So obviously it's feedback on handling was slower than that of an Integra. But, even at good speeds, this big car stayed in it's own lane and never skiddered, shuddered or squealed. Beyond that, it was quiet and mellow. Much more composed that my accord with springs and 19" and much softer than the M3. You never get the feeling of massive body roll, but you can feel the momentum. Handling I give it an adequete. It's obviously still geared towards comfort. I'm sure I'll probably end up lowering it and getting 18's or 19's.

Never really tested the brakes. Felt better than my Accord though.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reading all this is making me feel like i should have waited on my 00'tl. you guys have got to post pics if and when you get one.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:07 PM

Sounds great!

Can you give us a little more insight as to the quality of the ride. I have driven the TL 3.2 to get the feel of the ride and the CLS to get the feel of the engine power. Can anyone compare it for me.

P.S. I have looked long and hard at the black ebony interior. Some have described it as a "bowling bowl" look. Too bad they have stereotyped the interior of the car this way. I have seen at the car show and like it. My wife liked so much that we ordered it as a dealer accesory on the dash for the 2002 3,2 TLS. I like to describe it as black "marbelized" look.

Old 03-15-2001, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Well my daily driver right now is an Accord, so I'll have to make my comparisons to it.
The TL definitely has a much more comfortable ride than my Accord in stock form. As far as handling goes the TL-S will run circles around it of course. The TL-S though heavier would prob outbarke it as well due to the bigger tire conatct patch, and the better braking system. I liked the firm brake pedal feel of the TL which is kind of similar to the Honda line in general. I didnt really do any panic stops to properly evaluate them though, but in pretty aggressive driving they were great.

Now my Accord car used to have an aftermarket suspension with Neuspeed sport springs, and Koni adjustable shocks, sway bars and my aftermarket 17x7 rims with 215/45 Z rated tires. That suspension handled better than the TL-S, but honestly not by that much. The biggest difference in Handling for that car came with the rim/tire change. The ride however would probably be considered bone jarring in comparison to the TL-S. When I changed my car back to the stock suspension, I was amazed that the car felt so much more refined and classy whereas with the aftermaket suspension it felt much cheaper due to the harsh ride, so I missed the better handling, but loved the ride that I got back even more, and the TL-S is sportier with a better ride than even my stock suspension with the 15 inch tires on with 60 series rubber
Old 03-15-2001, 08:36 PM

" ... and the TL-S is sportier with a better ride than even my stock suspension".

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you Mr. Hyde.