Synthetic oil revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Synthetic oil revisited

I have 30,500 miles on my car now and I notice it idles a little rough and the engine doesnt seem like it wants to go sometimes. I am thinking of putting synthetic oil in it and I know if I do, I cant go back. Should I? What will it do to my engine? Will it run smoother, etc. People running on synthetic please help. Also, do Acura dealerships have synthetic? If I take it to them for another service, how will they know I use synthetic?
THanks

Roshan
Old 02-28-2001, 07:36 PM
slickTL17

Some Acura dealers will do synthetic oil change. If you already have 35k miles, i don't think it's going to make much of a difference.

Old 02-28-2001, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

i change my oil by myself.Full synthertic oil all the way.Mobil 1 oil hey hey.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptect springs
Old 02-28-2001, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Synthetic oil can be used at any time during your engines life. It is particularily good when you first start your car, in that synthetic oil stays thinner and sits on the moving parts, and does not all sit in the oil pan until start-up like conventional oil. The result, less wear upon startup where most of the wear occurs.I also understand you can mix conventional and synthetic oil in a pinch with no damage to the engine.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:55 PM
Racer

I don't think synthetic oil will make your engine idle any better, Maybe it just needs some fuel injector cleaner.

------------------
00TL
Old 02-28-2001, 07:57 PM

Yea, get some fuel injector cleaner. Also consider new spark plugs. I know they are supposed to last for 100,000 miles but who knows. Bad plugs can cause bad idles.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, also, I feel my exhaust hmm which is not normal for the TL right? even with 30k? I notice when I start my car and let it warm up, I hear sort of a puff comming from the bottom middle of my car at a rate of 2 per second which is pretty loud. You think this is causing the hmm? Thanks again
Rosh
Old 02-28-2001, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BLEXV6:
Synthetic oil can be used at any time during your engines life. It is particularily good when you first start your car, in that synthetic oil stays thinner and sits on the moving parts, and does not all sit in the oil pan until start-up like conventional oil. The result, less wear upon startup where most of the wear occurs.I also understand you can mix conventional and synthetic oil in a pinch with no damage to the engine.
1) Once you go synthetic, does that mean you can't switch back to conventional oil?

2) What are the benefits of synthetic oil? Is it simply that it stays thinner and lubricates better? does the engine last longer? I only have 500 miles on my TL, and wondering if it might be better in the long run to switch early on to synthetic... What is the consensus amongst all you TL aficionados?

DA
Old 02-28-2001, 09:57 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by Black TL:
Thanks guys, also, I feel my exhaust hmm which is not normal for the TL right? even with 30k? I notice when I start my car and let it warm up, I hear sort of a puff comming from the bottom middle of my car at a rate of 2 per second which is pretty loud. You think this is causing the hmm? Thanks again
Rosh
I got the same thing happenin' to my car too.....actually I notice the sound after drivin' the car for a while..........Went to the dealer and they said it was okay.....Lyin' Muthaf'ers!

------------------
1999 Navi/Satin Silver/Ebony/Comptech Sport Suspension/Comptech Axle-back Exhaust/Factory Underbody Kit/Wings West Flush mount spoiler/Weapon-R Intake/Super-White Highs/Polarg Turn Signals/Burlwood Shift Knob/Black Chrome Emblem Kit/Custom Grille/Inspire Tail Lights, more to come...
Old 02-28-2001, 10:15 PM
Racer

Synthetic Oil
"Keeping your oil clean is important to the life of your vehicle. This is because it not only lubricates but also cleans and cools the moving parts. The oil transfers heat from the block to the oil pan as well as holding any dirt it picks up in suspension. The oil also gets thicker as it is used because the lighter molecules or more volatile parts of the oil get hot and turn into vapor. This combination causes the oil to transfer less heat and lubricate less.

This is where synthetic oils really start to have a benefit to the engine. Because synthetic oils don't have any variation in molecular size or volatility they don't vaporize off or get thicker. This allows the oil to lubricate better at low temperatures and as the oil gets dirtier. The synthetic oils also have less problem with viscosity break down at higher temperatures because of their stability.

Regardless of what type of oil you use, you should change it and the filter regularly, using a good quality oil filter. This is the least expensive long term maintenance you can do for your"

------------------
00TL
Old 03-01-2001, 09:29 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
1) Once you go synthetic, does that mean you can't switch back to conventional oil?

2) What are the benefits of synthetic oil? Is it simply that it stays thinner and lubricates better? does the engine last longer? I only have 500 miles on my TL, and wondering if it might be better in the long run to switch early on to synthetic... What is the consensus amongst all you TL aficionados?

DA
I sure like to know this also, I'm about to do my 3750 oil change. Once you go sythetic you can't switch back? What's the consequence of doing it? Will it be worse than if you just stayed with regular.

Also I have 2 year service with the dealer. Will they put synthetic in there? Will I have to pay more or buy my own oil?

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 03-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by thaitea:
I sure like to know this also, I'm about to do my 3750 oil change. Once you go sythetic you can't switch back? What's the consequence of doing it? Will it be worse than if you just stayed with regular.

Oil change at 3,750 miles??

I thought the first oil change is supposed to be at 7500 miles. Isn't that what the owner's manual recommends? Or are you following the severe conditions maintenance schedule? I thought Acura puts a special additive into the factory motor oil to help break-in the engine, so changing out the oil prematurely (ie, before the 7000 mile mark) is not recommended. I'm confused??

DA
Old 03-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
Oil change at 3,750 miles??

I thought the first oil change is supposed to be at 7500 miles. Isn't that what the owner's manual recommends? Or are you following the severe conditions maintenance schedule? I thought Acura puts a special additive into the factory motor oil to help break-in the engine, so changing out the oil prematurely (ie, before the 7000 mile mark) is not recommended. I'm confused??

DA

I believe it says to wait at least 3750 before changing the first time. This allows the engine to break in properly. After that you should change oil according to your driving condition. I will do the "severe" driving condition because I don't drive that far and it won't hurt to change it often. So every 3000 miles for me after that. I will check my manual again to make sure.

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 03-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I'm considering switching to synthetic on my next oil change at 7,750. which should be in another 2 months.

Still nobody answered the consequence with switching back to conventional oil. Come on all you gurus/enthusiasts out there somebody's gotta know. What's the average cost of a synthetic oil change?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-disc cd-changer

Coming soon...
JL Audio 12w6 Sub. & Audiobahn A1800E Amp.
New Paint Job
Old 03-02-2001, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think I will. So far, I dont see any drawbacks besides the price.