Switching to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching to synthetic oil

Have decided to switch to synthetic finally - after 68K. Want to do it at the dealer first - maybe try to do it myself later. Couple questions:
Once on synthetic, what the oil change interval should be - 7.5K?
Can you tell visually the difference between synthetic and regular oil looking at the dipstick?
For those who switched - have you noticed anything different immediately after the change?
If I decide to do oil change myself - how high should jack up the car? The whole car or just the front? I know there is a resent thread regarding self oil change, but it doesn't answer all my questions.
Thanks to everybody for reply!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:39 PM
I'd rather be driving:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregtomash
Have decided to switch to synthetic finally - after 68K. Want to do it at the dealer first - maybe try to do it myself later. Couple questions:
Once on synthetic, what the oil change interval should be - 7.5K?
In most cases you should be able to go 7500 miles no problem with synthetic.
Can you tell visually the difference between synthetic and regular oil looking at the dipstick?
No, you probably won't be able to tell. Most dinos and synths are the familiar dark amber color. Some brands "tint" their oil, like Royal Purple (it's, you guessed it, purple), etc.
For those who switched - have you noticed anything different immediately after the change?
I haven't noticed any significant change although some claim their cars run smoother, they get slightly better mileage or they hear less noise at start up. It'll depend on the oil you use currently compared to the new oil.
If I decide to do oil change myself - how high should jack up the car? The whole car or just the front? I know there is a resent thread regarding self oil change, but it doesn't answer all my questions.
Thanks to everybody for reply!
I can reach my drain plug and oil filter w/o lifting the car (mine's a tight squeeze because my car's slightly lowered). If you're lowered and/or you have a kit then you might have to jack up just the front of the car so you can reach. Use common sense of course and be careful.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Resident Troll.

dont extend the oil change intervals too long otherwise you might have a problem with your warrenty. For some reason Acura states that synthetic oil will not do anything for our cars. I dont know if i believe that becasue once i made the switch i could really tell the difference. the car felt alot smoother and my gas mileage has definately increased! I plan on running syn oil for about 8000kms which is about 5000miles.

there is a SLIGHT differnce in the colour of syn oil. I noticed that Mobile 1 5w30 was a little darker than dino oil.

Call your dealership up and ask them what kind of syn. oil they have... you might have to take in your own oil. You might also consider getting an oversized filter!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Instructor

I talked to the dealer - they use Mobil1 oil and filter. What's that about oversized filter?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Resident Troll.

some of the guys on here use an oversized filter if they increase the oil change intervals.. i personally dont use an oversize filter but im sure someone out here can help you out of even if you do a search for synthetic oil you will find NUMEROUS threads!
Old 09-04-2004, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just switched to full syn mobil1 on my 99 TL at 65k miles. I'm actually seeing worst milage at first then it seems to be improving now. It doesn't make the car smoother or anything.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i have a smother start up and engine after going to syn. i have my intervals set between 8000 and 10,000 miles depending on my driving. (i have had the oil tested to see if its still good at those miles and it has been very good t those miles) color means NOTHING with synthetic (unless its blacker than black) you dont need a oversized filter. just get a good one or ont thats designed for the prolonged use