swirls

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swirls

i have read the past post concerning swirls. I have a BLACK TLS for only 5 months and there are swirls all over.....i use the right towels and everything. I read that the 3m swirl mark remover works well but does it take off any of your clear coat and make the car look dull? Are there other products besides Zaino? And where can i pick these up? I've only found the 3m online but was wondering if they were at any local stores....i need all the help i can get to get rid of the swirls...i am sooo mad about it right now....thanks
Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Don't even waste your hard earned $6 for the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. I bought that about 8 months ago at Kragen Auto Parts and it doesn't work at all. It even dulled out the clearcoat! I returned it and bought GS-27 Scratch Remover instead to remove those small scratches around the front end of my car and I just left the swirl mark alone. I'm not sure if you can get rid of swirl marks...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
3M SMR works incredibly well. Don't listen to InspireSaber. It's all in the prep and application. Bottom line, don't even attempt to use SMR without an orbital polisher. SMR is meant to be applied with a machine, not by hand.

I would highly recommend claying your car prior to using SMR. Any bits of grit will be picked up in the pad and will make the swirls worse.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:33 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino is always a good idea for swirls. Any black car looks new after a few coast of Z-5 and Z-2. You just gotta be dedicated cause it takes all day...

-me
Old 01-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with NSXNext, you have to do it with a machine. And you have to be experienced using the machine.

Zaino will only fill very very superficial swirls. I took mine to a detailer let him buff it out and followed it with the Zaino treatment.

Looks like a mirror.

I tried Z-5 prior to this on several occasions and it wouldn't fill most of the swirls that came from the dealer.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Advanced

how much is this Z5 and Z2?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Prices..

http://www.zainobros.com/files/order.htm

Don't forget the clay (Z18) and ZFX..
Old 01-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where does one go for an orbital polisher?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fortunate
Where does one go for an orbital polisher?
Porter Cable 7424 Orbital polisher

Cheapest prices by far. And the Porter Cable is by far the best home-use orbital. I bought mine from them. Comes with the velcro backing plate. All you have to buy are the pads. Check out www.properautocare.com for them.

I suggest their white and black pads.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the links. BTW, when you say "claying the car", what exactly does that mean?
Old 01-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Advanced

another vote for the orbital buffer even novices can use it depending on what you're doing to produce some nice results. at the most basic level, wash and wax your car by hand. take the wax off with a soft towel like you normally would. then, with a clean, soft bonnet on the buffer, go over the car to polish and buff out any swirls left from the wax application. the residual "wax dust" will be enough to help blend in most swirling. and because you've already removed 99% of the wax by hand, there's really no danger that you'll "burn" the paint and really lay down some swirl marks. but it's still a good idea to stop every 60 seconds or so and "brush" the bonnet to remove any wax build up. starting the process by hand first sounds like it defeats the purpose but it will help to make it goof proof and saves you the elbow grease trying to buff out the swirls by hand. DON'T WAX / POLISH IN THE SUN no matter what the products directions say. dark cars are especially susceptible to swirling and the sun heating up the surface makes it worse.

i've had a craftsman 9" orbital buffer that i got from sears like 10 years ago and it's still working fine. just replace the bonnets as soon as they start to look worn out. once you're comfortable with the buffer, you can start applying waxes with it and taking the waxes off and elminate any manual steps. you'll still have to do nooks and crannies by hand, though. make sure you keep cleaning/brushing the bonnet as you go. it doesn't take much for the wax to ball up and stick to the bonnet like little ball bearings. then you're screwed because you can really mar the paint.

as for the clay . . . .you can buy clay bar to help clean the paint surface and prep it for polishing and waxing. the clay itself is like play-doh. you use a lubricant (which is typically a detailers spray mist) that you spritz onto a section at a time and rub the clay back and forth on it. it doesn't seem like it's doing anything cuz it glides back and forth effortlessly on the lube but it's picking up minute grime you can't see as well as tar, sometimes fresh water marks or bird poop marks. just make sure you keep the surface lubed, use a bunch of clean, soft cloths to wipe it up aftewards and wax immediately as it does take off any polish.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:28 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the 3M has worked well on my TLS!
Old 01-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
3M SMR is

I Use the Porter cable also; It works great, and once this cold weather is all gone, I cant wait to strip the car down, use the SMR over the entire car, and then go to town.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Racer

Cheapest prices by far. And the Porter Cable is by far the best home-use orbital. I bought mine from them. Comes with the velcro backing plate. All you have to buy are the pads. Check out www.properautocare.com for them.

not the same brand, and I'm sure peope will argue not the same quality, but there are orbital buffers at www.harborfreight.com for much less. There is no comparison in waxingpolsihign with an orbital...it's faster and way better.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Ray_Khan

not the same brand, and I'm sure peope will argue not the same quality, but there are orbital buffers at www.harborfreight.com for much less. There is no comparison in waxingpolsihign with an orbital...it's faster and way better.
Yeah there a few very nice machines in there for cheap. The WEN is very nice, HOWEVER most of them are rotary polishers. I would absolutely, positively NOT recommend them to anyone not intimately familiar with detailing a car. I have seen the "work" a rotary will do to a beautiful paint job.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

Yeah there a few very nice machines in there for cheap. The WEN is very nice, HOWEVER most of them are rotary polishers. I would absolutely, positively NOT recommend them to anyone not intimately familiar with detailing a car. I have seen the "work" a rotary will do to a beautiful paint job.
Thats what I was thinking of when reading this post ... Doesn't take anytime to burn through an edge and take it down to bare metal ...:wow:
Old 01-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Racer

Thats what I was thinking of when reading this post ... Doesn't take anytime to burn through an edge and take it down to bare metal ...
good advice guys...thanks.