Sunroof rattle/squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Sunroof rattle/squeak

My sunroof just started rattling a few days ago and it seems like it's being caused by the rubber seal rubbing against the roof where it seals up. I know that the dealer will put teflon tape on, but where exactly do they put it? Would keeping the seal cleaned and lubricated solve the problem albiet temporarily?

Thanks,
Iggy
Old 05-18-2002, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing, so how ever way u fix it, let me know ok I only had the car for exactly 3 months today, its like when that cover is back and the sun roof is closed , it rattles so damn loud, i mean i love my car but yo this is an acura it isn't supposed to do that and also what gets me mad is the cheap alarm that we have. Honestly i set the alarm and i'm a strong kid i started shaking my car, sway it side to side, and it didn't go off so that is why tomorrow i'm getting a new alarm with auto start.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I sent my TL-S in to fix the problem, the dealer put the tape around the moonroof opening (metal side) and also put a layer of silicone grease on the moonroof rubber seal. It fixed the rattling issue but I am not sure how long it will last.

Cheers !!!
Old 05-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a 1999 Navi (non-S, obviously) but I also had the sunroof rattle problem.

Brought it back 6x to be fixed. Initially, they were putting some type of lubricant on, but finally something unknown to me was done and it has not rattled for over 2 years.

Sorry for being vague, but there is obviously a long term fix for the problem.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have exactly same problem. I got mine last June and the moonroof started to rattle just about a month ago. The noise was so loud and it's very annoying. Tilting (or opening) and then closing the moonroof occationally (2 out of 10 times) "fix" the noise temporarily.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Racer

Re: Sunroof rattle/squeak

Originally posted by Iggy
My sunroof just started rattling a few days ago and it seems like it's being caused by the rubber seal rubbing against the roof where it seals up. I know that the dealer will put teflon tape on, but where exactly do they put it? Would keeping the seal cleaned and lubricated solve the problem albiet temporarily?

Thanks,
Iggy
you should take that to the dealer. they should fix that under warranty
Old 05-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yep, its a warranty issue, some fix with teflon tape, others will use a silicon lube. They used the silicon lube on my moonroof and so far so good.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nike1678
Also what gets me mad is the cheap alarm that we have. Honestly i set the alarm and i'm a strong kid i started shaking my car, sway it side to side, and it didn't go off so that is why tomorrow i'm getting a new alarm with auto start.
It doesnt go off when you shake it because the stock Acura alarm doesnt have a shock sensor which is what causes an alarm to go off when you "shock it".
Old 05-21-2002, 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally posted by drcookie
When I sent my TL-S in to fix the problem, the dealer put the tape around the moonroof opening (metal side) and also put a layer of silicone grease on the moonroof rubber seal. It fixed the rattling issue but I am not sure how long it will last.

Cheers !!!
I had my fixed and it only last about two weeks. I brought back to the dealer and they said can't find problems. That's exactly how I feel about dealers... they are either blind or deaf; sometimes both.

Well... I'm get used to all rattles now; just like my old Altima.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Fixing the Roof Rattles

The solution for rattle noise or squeeks on the moonroof is to clean the rubber weather seal and lubricate it with a silicone spray or Vinylex or 303 Protectant. The only reason why is because the seal is dry or is dirty.

You may want to consider doing this periodically on all your weather stripping and when you wash you car.

That's my contribution. Good luck!

Cap
Old 05-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

My sunroof used to squeak horribly. The dealership added the teflon tape and it was fixed. They said if I had anymore trouble, the next step was to replace the whole assembly. Well, it still doesn't squeak but now it has a pretty annoying rattle. My 98 Accord EXV6 did the same thing (pretty much the same sunroof). My 95 Accord and 90 & 89 Integras never had any of these problems. Tight as a drum. It seems that since Honda went w/ the flip up and retractable sunroof, they've gone to sh!t. What is really annoying is that my 2000 Chevy Tahoe and my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder have the same type of sunroof and they don't have any problems. Why can't Honda get it right? You shouldn't have to add teflon tape or silicone grease to make them quiet.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:33 AM
No, you are a dork.

Originally posted by RedLined
You shouldn't have to add teflon tape or silicone grease to make them quiet.
Agreed.

My squeak was fixed about 2 mos ago and is still doing fine....however, the rattle is present now and is driving me crazy....shut the roof lid and it goes away....kinda defeats the purpose of having one if it has to stay shut all of the time..
Old 05-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Pro

Originally posted by daryl.com

Agreed.

My squeak was fixed about 2 mos ago and is still doing fine....however, the rattle is present now and is driving me crazy....shut the roof lid and it goes away....kinda defeats the purpose of having one if it has to stay shut all of the time..
Don't you realize that if something goes wrong in the engineering world, it's called a feature? So, during a sunny day, the squeaking is a reminder to let you know the interior is getting hot and is bad for the leather. During night time, the squeaking reminds you to close the lid so no unwanted light comes through. When it rains, the squeaking reminds you to close the lid so interior sound would be improved.

Anyways, since most of the people on this forum is complaining about this, it just shows how much Acura doesn't care about it. I guess they figure it's cheaper to have the dealers fix this when customers complain rather than implementing a permanent fix in their manufacturing process. Do '03 TLs still have this problem?

axleback
Old 05-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Yes Axelback-

I have my 03 Type S going in on monday for this problem- And some fresh oil- Summer Grade
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is veeeeerrry old but i went to the dealership recently to talk about this. and the service manager said that it will cost me 65 bucks because they have to order the special tape for the sunroof and that is $50 and service will be 15 bucks. I left, is there anything i could do?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Try spraying silicone on the rubber seal that is on the moonroof glass.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Clean and wax the opening in the roof. Then clean and silicone or Armor all the seal.
Open the roof slightly to get the front section and open the tilt function to get to the back.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Iggy

Thanks,
Iggy
This thread started with discussion of a rattle. Most of the fixes described are for a squeak. There is a difference.
The rattle is the hardware (an arm) guiding the opening and closing of the sunroof. It is only present when the sliding cover is open and the sunroof is closed. The fix is cleaning and lubrication of the pins and arm that you can see on either side of the sunroof assembly.
The squeak fix is the clean/lube/tape associated with the rubber seal around the glass.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 2KTL32
This thread started with discussion of a rattle. Most of the fixes described are for a squeak. There is a difference.
The rattle is the hardware (an arm) guiding the opening and closing of the sunroof. It is only present when the sliding cover is open and the sunroof is closed. The fix is cleaning and lubrication of the pins and arm that you can see on either side of the sunroof assembly.
The squeak fix is the clean/lube/tape associated with the rubber seal around the glass.
There is also a rattle/squeak that is associated with the rubber trim that finishes off the transition inside between the headliner and opening.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't forget to tighten these this screw on both sides of the track; they are notorious for coming lose and will rattle when the roof is open:

Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,484 Posts
There are two phillips head screws hidden under the map light lens on the center roof console and two under the sun glass holder that tend to vibrate loose also.