Straight Pipes and Me....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Straight Pipes and Me....

Hello Aziners..

Just to let you know a quick update on my car..
I have been neglecting or well I haven't had the Cash to buy the last PnP Upgrade on my car: Cat-Back.. Well for those who don't know I don't want a Cat-Back for any kind of Performance Gain my only thought was getting that awesome sound from them but I wasn't going to drop 1K on our available options like APEX´i or Tanabe.. So I decided to try straight pipes..

Well my Thoughts..

AWESOME! I cant say how happy I am of not getting the Cat-Back and try the Straight Pipes first! They sound exactly like I wanted, Small Growl with a Big Broooommm when REVing.. And got Exactly that! I don't have a video right now but it sounds pretty impressive and it isn't that loud at all if you keep your foot on check.

My Setup is as follow:
DC Headers > Stock Cat > Stock Resonator > Stock Mid Muffler > Straight Pipes > DC Sports Tips.

And it sound phenomenal! and it only cost me less than 60 bucks! 40 bucks for the Tips and 20 bucks between the Tube and Flanges + Labor... The stock flanges where used so I can go back to OEM any day in less than 10 minutes.

These are the DC Sport Tips (Yes I welded them to the Pipes):

Product Number: EX-1013
Amazon.com: DC Sport EX-1013 Stainless Steel Resonated Slant Cut Bolt-on Exhaust Tip: Automotive Amazon.com: DC Sport EX-1013 Stainless Steel Resonated Slant Cut Bolt-on Exhaust Tip: Automotive

So if anyone has been waiting to get the Cat-Back! I truly recommend the Straight Pipes first in a TL-S!! Sounds Great!

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-25-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
dc headers?
So you get smogged from a friend/friend of friend?

I would like to hear/see the car in a video w/said mod
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 PM

^ LOL...
"DC Sport"* Headers.

I don't have a video since my DSLR got "borrowed" from by Brother.
There are more than a couple of videos on youtube about Straight Pipes with the 3.2TL but none of them do justice in real life.

Some sound just way to deep.. Some others sound raspy (I blame them all on the camera used) but in real life sounds perfect.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not a bad idea
Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 PM

^ Yah if you can un-bolt the bolts on the Mufflers you can also test it without them before pulling the trigger.. Just without the mufflers there is a big improvement in sound, completing with the straight pipes just put the cherry on the top.

I had to buffer out my bolts though.. 12yrs there don't make them easy to un-bolt, actually I strip them all even when soaked with penetrating oil, I was going to torch them but heck buffer them out was pretty easy and the bolts where cheap.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
In Ca- home of the PITA rolling wheels smog inspection
headers are legal WITH CARB approval number, without it- NO
CARB approval simply means you spent a lot of money proving to the govt, the part does not worsen the smog output
anything past the cat is legal as it has no effect on smog numbers

its good to have quick change setup on rear mufflers in case you get stopped
Drop the stockers on and get the ticket signed off....
LE looks for low low cars- minimum headlight height (more a prob for Honda owners than us) purple tint 8000k headlights draw attention, excessive exhaust noise- if your neighbors Harley is quieter than your car...not good
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

^ Ohhhh that's what he meant... Yeah here In Cali well I suspect in most states we have private Inspection shops and usually they don't give a Rat about the Headers "Legal Status" they just do the smog numbers and if it pass its all good (I suspect the official DMV Smog Centers will care about them).. Who really cares about the CARB status? The "MOD POLICE" man those suckers cant live and let live and the Official DMV Inspection Centers... But as far as Smog inspections? No issues in 4 yrs of having the Headers.. That's 4 Smog Inspections in Private Inspection Centers (Officially endorsed by the DMV of course).

Now regarding the sound, It isn't loud! specially when you compare it to a Harley.. It only growls between 1-2.5K After that it just gets quieter (Louder than stock still but not illegal in any way, Sounds quieter than a V8 Camaro for Instance).. So far the idea is to have them quickly removable so the straight pipes use the stock flanges 2 bolts and down they go.. Sadly I don't find myself carrying the Stock Mufflers in my Trunk every day sooo well see how that plays out.. Worse case scenario is: Im getting towed for the Headers not because of the Mufflers haha. Good thing I have the stock parts in my garage.

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you post video, plz? I want it sounds like G35, is it close?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM
1999 4at

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yea bolts & nuts in the exhaust system pita!!! i had to torch (heat up & let cool down) & spray & let sit with pb blaster about 4 times all 6 bolts connecting my headers to the j pipe to get them off - stripped two & went to buy the stripped bolt socket set from harbor freight - they work like a charm i tell ya ... also had to do the same with 2 bolts connecting the j pipe to the cat
Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Team Owner

LE in CA doesn't usually pull you over just for being low and bit loud in a TL (an accord,sure no problem! happy to ask about that tow hook on back)
More like- if you are involved in drag racing or high speed racing on the freeway/street, basically driving with no regard to others,,,that may prompt a chat about the tickets, and visual inspection under the hood

Last few years Ca LE went to school on whats legal and whats not- did you know there is a minimum headlight height from ground?!
that CARB sticker AND paperwork is a biggie on the headers
funny that cat is more important to smog than the type exhaust manifold used to get the gasses there, guess they don't want to get dirty knees looking under your car

There is a major problem with drag races and sideshow events organized in an instant via social media, whether 2 cars or 100s of cars and people with no training in driving, no safety equipment and a mentality that says- if there is a crash, boogie!!

As one who has worked with race tracks, we are always on the lookout for where things can go bad, how can I stand clear of that danger, and where to run if all else fails.
Note I have a fire extinguisher next to me for standard emergencies, but its getting left behind if I have to run!! at which point it becomes a self service device for the driver~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 07-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
I've been pulled over for being too low, rear wheels were past the fenders. Your post went of track of what thus thread was about. Did you present yourself in third person? Do you like eating fish sticks?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

rear heels past the fenders??- ahh the late nights with 9 inch wide race slicks on the freeway in the the ol XXX
memories, we will enjoy them

Not me! of course in any of the above referenced issues~ a compilation of characters may be used to illustrate a point or make the story more interesting

Going a bit off topic from OP question yes, but informing the public/fellow ziners of things not to do if you prefer not to chat with LE ,,in your obviously `not stock` car
falls within the intent of the forum to educate
Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't to anything to give them a reason or attract any attention. Drive smart. Keep all your exterior lamps working. Stick to HID colors below 5000k. I once got pulled over and questioned about my exhaust only because one of my headlamps was out. Or else they'd have never pulled me over.

Maybe roll your front windows down around the police if you have dark tint. In SoCal we can manage that most of the year without getting frostbite and looking suspicious.

Last edited by soria; 07-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.