Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering

Dudes,

Is the TL S-Type supposed to have speed sensitive steering or something like that? When I drive on the highway, the steering feels the same as if I was just driving around my block. I like the way the steering feels but I was just curious about this feature. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 07-30-2001, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope.. its torque sensitive
Old 07-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Torque-Sensitive, Variable Assist Rack-and-Pinion Steering (3.2 TL Type S)

The TL Type S is equipped with an exclusive sport-tuned power-steering system (similar to the CL Type S.) Power assist is determined primarily by the amount of torque measured in the steering box. (This is not related to the engine torque.) The Type S uses a torque-sensitive rotary valve steering gear that varies the amount of assist according to steering input and the resultant torque generated between the pavement and tire. This type of system provides optimum feedback to the driver in all situations to match the more sport-oriented capabilities of the Type S.

Speed-Sensitive, Variable-Assist Rack-and-Pinion Power Steering (3.2 TL)

The 3.2 TL’s steering strikes a balance between the isolation expected of a fine luxury car and the immediate response of an accomplished sports sedan. Both goals are served by the TL’s power rack-and-pinion steering system, which offers quick response and excellent road feel. Power assist is based on vehicle speed, so effort required is light during low-speed maneuvering and progressively greater as speed builds to foster a feeling of accuracy and responsiveness. The benefit is great road feel and control at highway speeds combined with the lighter effort drivers want in tight parking maneuvers.

Straight from Acura
Old 07-30-2001, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steerage

Dude,

Hey, thanks for the info.

So...am I nuts to say that I don't really "feel" a difference when I'm on the highway or on regular streets? Do you guys feel the steering tighten up during highway speeds?

*crosses fingers in the hope that nothing is wrong with my steering unit*
Old 07-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Re: Steerage

Originally posted by coffeefingers
Dude,

Hey, thanks for the info.

So...am I nuts to say that I don't really "feel" a difference when I'm on the highway or on regular streets? Do you guys feel the steering tighten up during highway speeds?

*crosses fingers in the hope that nothing is wrong with my steering unit*
I don't sense it "tighten up" but the feel is different on the highway. When I'm cruising in a straight line, the steering does feel "tighter" (less assist). That's probably the speed-sensitive part. However, when I change lanes the steering boosts my input just enough to make a crisp transition. I guess that's the torque-sensitive part.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think the 'speed sensitive' item on the Type-S is the wipers. The steering has never struck me as reacting any differently under different conditions, I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice anything or not.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I actually feel exactly the other way. Steering is light on Highways (like it) but tight (almost no assist around the block). All fluid levels seem fine. Nothing came up in regular service too. I have a Civic and its steering at same spot (tested standing) moves like its buttered and TL is alomost pulling the wheel to turn..
Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Welcome to AZine. I think your first post set a record for the longest resurrection...

If your car actually had no assist, your hands would be tired. It's very difficult to move the steering wheel with no assist.