Starting Hesitation??? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:04 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Hesitation??? HELP!

I just purchased a '99 TL w/nav and ever since I have bought it I 75% of the time experience a hesitation before the car actual kicks in. This usually happens when the car has been sitting for more than an hour. When I start it and drive the car for a few minutes and cut it off and start it up it starts fine. However when it sits I will turn the key to start it and it cranks for about 2-3 seconds and it sounds like it starts then immediately it sounds like it dies down for a half second like the engine cut off then all of a sudden it catches and runs fine.

Before I purchased it I took it to the acura dealer and the service guy said that it has to be the battery because nothing else goes wrong with these cars... and he heard what it does and he said thats exactly what it does when the battery is dead...

Well I finished the paper work and thought I would just need to replace the battery. Well I looked and the battery was just replaced last month with a new acura battery. I took the car over to my work (advance auto parts) and tested the battery and starter. Both are good.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS MAY BE?

I was thinking a valve, sensor, fuel delivery problem...

Also the day after I bought the car I installed new NGK Laser Platinum plugs, oem air filter, and ran a bottle of chevron techron through the tank...

THANKS IN ADVANCE... THIS IS GETTING VERY ANNOYING! I dont want to pay the dealer 2-3 hrs of labor to find the problem...!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Racer

It MAY be a fuel delivery problem... I would get injectors cleaned as a next step. If it doesn't help, time for advanced engine diagnostics...
Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Same problem with my 99TLP

I've got the same problem. The car start and stutters then shutsoff. I then start it and back it goes fine. It's been doing this for months. I took the car in once for somethin.g else and I was told I have a failing throttle body. I want to change out my gas filter but not sure if it's the problem
Old 04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned

My dealer said not to change gas types and brands often. I was changing from ESSO 89 octane then go to ESSO 91 octanes. And Vice Versa. He said to stay at one octane and brand. I’ve been using 89 octane for several months and the hesitation problems stopped.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smasila
My dealer said not to change gas types and brands often. I was changing from ESSO 89 octane then go to ESSO 91 octanes. And Vice Versa. He said to stay at one octane and brand. I’ve been using 89 octane for several months and the hesitation problems stopped.
Using anything under 91 octane is a And because you've used something under 91 octane..it probably caused your fuel injectors to pick up some nasty substance that's in 89- octane fuel.

Stop using 89 octane..go buy yourself some fuel injector cleaners (STP, Chevron Techron) and don't be a cheap ass when it comes to filling gas. If you can't afford 91 octane fuel or higher, you shouldn't have a TL.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

Well, all the Acura dealers in Toronto area have told me that it won't hurt the engine. Its just the the earlier TL's of 1999 have this problem. Nothing to do with the fuel. In fact, I have better performance from the 89 octane.

Why is that?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smasila
Well, all the Acura dealers in Toronto area have told me that it won't hurt the engine. Its just the the earlier TL's of 1999 have this problem. Nothing to do with the fuel. In fact, I have better performance from the 89 octane.

Why is that?
Wow, thats weird..it even says in our manuals to use "91 octane fuel or higher.." And the dealerships don't know shit about our cars..
Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

Yeh, I haven't gone back to 91 for 5 months now. But thats my car. You guys stay at what you like.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:28 PM
5th Gear

Ive been using nothing but chevron 93 octane gas. Ive used nothing but in any of my cars for the last 3 years... none of my other cars have had problems... (infiniti, bmw)

Acura dealer says there is no fuel filter on the TL, except one in the tank which doesnt need replacing until 120k mi...

i also cleaned the throttle body when i bought the car with some spray throttle body cleaner, it took off all of the carbon buildup...

I was also thinking today... just a thought... i heard acura did some kind of recall on trannys in '99.... maybe mine was a recall and was replaced, and they didnt align something right so the starter doesnt actuate properly....???
Old 04-29-2004, 09:31 AM
5th Gear

bump!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Speaking of the tranny and starting, I notice that this problem occurs because just before the last time I turn my car off the tranny jerks when I park it. When you place it in Drive then reverse, I get a jerk then the car moves. The next time I start it does not start the first time. Failing tranny?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Banned

The '99s had two recalls..I can't seem to remember the other one, but the one I do remember has to do with the ignition switch, which in your case might be the problem. Go into your local dealer and ask them..
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 PM
5th Gear

what in the ignition switch would cause this???
Old 04-30-2004, 02:26 AM
2nd Gear

starting hesitation problems

It is a faulty fuel pump.
I have a 99 tl and approx 6 mos after purchase the same thing happened to mine. I took it in and tried to describe it about 5 times. dealer just said they cant find anything wrong with it and I just needed to learn how to start it
(after 15 years of driving experience). Finally, a honda dealer told me that they need to find the problem or they would have to give me a new car.
Once I relayed the message to them (without telling them who told me) you
can believe they found the problem. Can you believe that.........after 5 tries
and all of the inconvenience.

Your description is exactly like mine. After it sat for a while, I would try to start it two or three times before it would actually catch or turn over.
Once I get it started and I turn it off, it will start right up again.
It makes sense now, Once you get it started....seconds later I guess there is still fuel in the pump.......but once it settles and the fuel goes back down
it takes more effort to get it back in through the pump to the engine?

Darn dealer dummies........you would think they would know that.
I wish they could post it in their workshops around the country......
if "IF THE CAR WONT START...IT MAY BE A FAULTY FUEL PUMP)

Anyway.......This is exactly the problem. Mine was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay. Let me know how it goes.
I make my final payment next month........I have had transmission problems
for a while now. If you know of anyone that can solve my silent alarm setting device please thread a post or email me directly. Every few months, my alarm
will silently set without chirping or beeping when I set it, however if I press the panic button it will sound as normal. The dealers or the acura customer service number has no idea. I think if I press two of the buttons accidentally
at the same time, it sets it on silent. When you set the alarm you can hear the doors lock but it wont beep.

Please find help
Old 04-30-2004, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear

faulty fuel pump - I had the same exact problem.
you will have to tell the dealer.......those dummies......they won't know.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Will a faulty fuel pump cause the Check Engine Light to come on?